Clever device: Automatic calorie counter

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
If this thing is really accurate it's a pretty neat idea:

http://io9.com/a-tricorder-that-automatically-counts-all-the-calories-1599089125/

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like it'd be maybe as accurate as body fat scales, at best? Also, I think until they have one that goes over the mouth, it'll miss too much to be useful. The people who plate up all their food and even attempt to analyze it are the ones who don't need it. :wink:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like it'd be maybe as accurate as body fat scales, at best? Also, I think until they have one that goes over the mouth, it'll miss too much to be useful. The people who plate up all their food and even attempt to analyze it are the ones who don't need it. :wink:

it looks to me like it would be more accurate than that -- it uses microwaves and other forms of analysis that you wouldn't want to apply to a living person! I wouldn't say this device would necessarily make the world skinnier but it would sure make things easier for folks who are trying to monitor their intake.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with this

its kinda cool, but not all that practical. probably expensive as all hell too once it becomes available to the general public
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I suspect that there is A LOT more trial and error that will have to be done before it's actually accurate. Even then, I still feel like I would be a bit skeptical, I'd probably stick with MFP and log it in the old fashioned way. :P
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This device looks great. It might not be perfectly accurate, but as long as it's "close enough" thats fine with me. I'd love to be able to just stick my dinner into something like this and get a ballpark calorie/macro's number.
  • joejordan77
    joejordan77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm following this one closely. I currently use the body media fit and love it, but with working 3 jobs tracking my calories can consume some time lol...

http://healbe.com/#goBe