Any other dancers?

Options
I am a dancer. I am in class and rehearsal almost every day, but I log it in and it seems like it isn't burning enough. I will have a three week break after this week, and I am really worried about burning enough calories each day. I am trying really hard to lose weight before my Summer Intensive, but I don't know what to do to burn extra calories without risking injuring myself and making myself unable to dance. If anyone else has tips for dancers, please please please let me know!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm an awesome dancer.

tina-fey-awkward-dancing.gif
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    while you're on your break, why not do plenty of walking and also dance at home? i'm thinking these are the least likely to cause injury - i'm thinking it's probably not a good time to start a new exercise regime if you need to be in similar condition in 3 weeks.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Maybe dance for an hour or so three times a week? Stretch, yoga, do drills, etc. I don't think you will fall behind too much in three weeks. You could also eat a little less to prevent weight gain if this is what you are worried about.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    To answer you question though, invest in an HRM to accurately track your burns, so you know how many calories to eat.

To burn extra cals, you can always swim, jog, hike or cycle. Something with low chances of injury.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Along with keeping up with your regular dance practice and flexibility it's a good idea to add some strength training. You won't get bulky or gain huge muscles especially in a short amount of time. I will help with fat loss and improve everything from jumps to turn outs to extensions and even stamina.

Here are some dance specific things you can do at home without a gym.
    http://www.dance.net/topic/1408478/1/Pointe-General/The-Ultimate-Ballet-Dancer-s-Strength-Training-Routine.html
  • PixieDustTwinkleToes
    PixieDustTwinkleToes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try a few Pilates classes if you can, it won't burn loads of extra calories, but it's something and the bonus is you'll be doing plenty of stretching and core work which will in turn help your dancing :)

If classes are out of the question for whatever reason, you can always try Blogilates at home. A lot of dancers are afraid of running, but don't be. A couple of moderate runs a week won't hurt you. If like me though you don't particularly enjoy running, even just walking will do the trick :)
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hello-

I've been dancing off and on for years. I now have the summer off and am still dancing and choreographing (for fun) with a couple other dancers.

Honestly I just eat extra cleanly in summer, take walks, go on hikes, swim... Anything to be active.

As long as you are up and moving a bit each day and possibly even dancing you shouldn't have a problem. Just drink plenty of water and avoid the junk foods.

:) I'm going to send you a friend request
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://balletskills.com/tag/strength-training-for-dancers/

I know it talks about ballet, but they work for contemporary and ballroom.
    (I've been in dance since I was 5).