HELP! I can lose any weight. What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Some weight loss stagnation isn't because you're eating too much, but because your body needs more nutrients. Not getting enough nutrients can cause a stress response in your body. That stress response raises cortisol in your body. The cortisol causes your body to hold onto fat and eventually break down muscle tissue. Muscle burns fat so this muscle loss can create even more fat retention. Adding more nutrient rich food instead of less can be the answer. If you're eating whole foods, your body tells you how much you need. You won't need a food scale.

I ate a WHOLE poptart earlier. Unfortunately it's all about calories in vs. calories out.

It's not always about calories in vs. calories out. People can gain weight from not eating enough. This is usually only the case with hard-training athletes, but not always. In these cases, cutting back on calories and increasing exercise will make you gain more fat. Increasing calories can help you lose.

Ummm....what? :huh: The OP is not a hard-training athlete, but that doesn't even matter. It's literally impossible to gain pure fat if you are burning more than you are consuming.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Well i agree with most of the above, but I also think that we need to do something different now and again for continuous weight loss. By all means check your calories, but your body has adjusted to your routine so you need to jolt it back into weight loss mode.
    THINK carefully about this....you could try adding a fast day, or reduce your carbs ( I think they are a bit too high), or try cider apple vinegar.....something different to shake up your body. I dont know what age you are but Im assuming you are under 40? Weight loss should be easy unless you have thyroid problems??

I am 27 and I actually do have an enlarged thyroid, however I am not on medication for it. I think maybe I will have to start juicing for a day or so for detox. Thanks!!

Oh look. A medical condition that probably should have been stated at the start. *smh*

And detoxing..just....*sigh*

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

Well heck, if I knew we going down the detox road, I would have suggested something based on her astrological birth sign.

I feel misled.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well i agree with most of the above, but I also think that we need to do something different now and again for continuous weight loss. By all means check your calories, but your body has adjusted to your routine so you need to jolt it back into weight loss mode.
    THINK carefully about this....you could try adding a fast day, or reduce your carbs ( I think they are a bit too high), or try cider apple vinegar.....something different to shake up your body. I dont know what age you are but Im assuming you are under 40? Weight loss should be easy unless you have thyroid problems??

I am 27 and I actually do have an enlarged thyroid, however I am not on medication for it. I think maybe I will have to start juicing for a day or so for detox. Thanks!!

Oh look. A medical condition that probably should have been stated at the start. *smh*

Well heck, if I knew we going down the detox road, I would have suggested something based on her astrological birth sign.

I feel misled.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • greenwrapgirl
    Options
    It's actually not impossible. I didn't believe it when I first heard about it either. I'm trying to access actual peer reviewed medical data, but having a hard time doing anything from my tablet. I don't pay attention to anything but peer reviewed research and don't like journalistic magazine articles. I'll post the info when I can.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I just have one major question....how did you only eat .95 of a Reese's Peanut butter cup on Tuesday?! What did you do with the other .05? I would have eaten that whole thing in one bite! Not acceptable!

HAHAHA I totally agree!!!
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    HEY one little tip that seems to work.....have a week or two off!! STOP dieting for a couple of weeks, but but be mildly aware of staying under say 2000 cals. Then return to weight loss with renewed vigor. Your body needs a break, and then return with a cunning plan. This is how we break out of a plateau.
    OR you could keep doing what you are doing which isnt working anyway.....what do you think?
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The thyroid issue is what you're dealing with. If you don't want to do medication, then you need to switch up your workout routine. Also, I don't know how much you weigh, but it sounds like you're drinking toooo much water.

The MAX is a gallon (96 oz) and that's for people who are 190+ pounds... my guess is your body isn't liking all that extra water, either.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

yeah...apple cider vinegar will do absolutely nothing for you except taste nasty. sorry.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I just have one major question....how did you only eat .95 of a Reese's Peanut butter cup on Tuesday?! What did you do with the other .05? I would have eaten that whole thing in one bite! Not acceptable!

HAHAHA I totally agree!!!

Maybe a chunk got stuck to the wrapper?
  • camralens
    camralens Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I feel misled.

Yes, I have an enlarged thyroid but the doctors have said it shouldn't have too much effect anyways. Nothing is misleading and the detoxing was a positive suggestion, unlike both of yours. I am asking for positive advice not negative comments. I guess you both missed that day in Kindergarten. I would hope you stay off the weight-based" message boards if you are not going to be positive. We don't need any bullies, thanks.

This goes for everyone else. Someone is asking for advice - you don't need to put your negative 2 cents in. Positivity goes a much longer way. I'm sure everyone has been in my place one time or another.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No diary, no help.

First, "clean eating" has nothing to do with weight loss. Are you weighing your food? How are you calculating calorie burns? Have you taken measurements?

I have to agree with the "clean eating" having little bearing on weight loss.

I eat like total crap and have managed to keep pretty steady weight loss for the past 4-5 months.

You need to ask yourself if you are being completely honest/accurate in recording your eating and exercise.

"Clean Eating" is not putting processed foods in your body, which I try to eliminate because they make me feel sluggish. And yes, i am being completely honest with my food logging, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help.

For someone eating "clean" 90-95% of the time, I'm seeing a lot of processed foods in your diary. Not that this is the cause of your current plateau. I know that there are many interpretations of eating clean, but I don't think that Sweet n Low, instant rice & oatmeal, or coffee creamer are included in many of them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Detox?
    throws-pin.gif
    Seriously, NO.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I feel misled.

Yes, I have an enlarged thyroid but the doctors have said it shouldn't have too much effect anyways. Nothing is misleading and the detoxing was a positive suggestion, unlike both of yours. I am asking for positive advice not negative comments. I guess you both missed that day in Kindergarten. I would hope you stay off the weight-based" message boards if you are not going to be positive. We don't need any bullies, thanks.

This goes for everyone else. Someone is asking for advice - you don't need to put your negative 2 cents in. Positivity goes a much longer way. I'm sure everyone has been in my place one time or another.

So "scolding" us about not being as positive you "require" while suggesting we are lacking in our education or/and manners in a condescending and "negative" way is alright?

Mmhmm. Well okay then.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    time to look at your macros and fine tune.

Edited to add: I don't see the diary.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I feel misled.

Personally I believe that the truth is better than a lie or a myth, even if the former is "negative" and the latter is "positive."
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I feel misled.

Seeing as we're going down this route, best of luck with your detox gimmick and see you back here soon looking for more advice that fits your narrative :flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No diary, no help.

First, "clean eating" has nothing to do with weight loss. Are you weighing your food? How are you calculating calorie burns? Have you taken measurements?
    This 100%.

Weight loss is all calories in/calories out.

Exercise is an added bonus with lots of good benefits, but it is not necessary to lose weight.

You can also eat squeaky clean and not lost or gain depending on how much you eat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Out of curiousity, how much muscle can the OP expect to put on?
    If she is losing fat and adding muscle, how much are we talking to offset the weight loss?
    That's not the way it works. Other than newbie gains, you don't build muscle while on a deficit, especially if you have so little to lose.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Out of curiousity, how much muscle can the OP expect to put on?
    If she is losing fat and adding muscle, how much are we talking to offset the weight loss?
    That's not the way it works. Other than newbie gains, you don't build muscle while on a deficit, especially if you have so little to lose.

that was kind of my point. Even newbie gains aren't going to be a huge amount.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    time to look at your macros and fine tune.

Edited to add: I don't see the diary.

It was open earlier, OP must have closed it.