Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    But, that's the very reason you should go to the doctor. Many people who are intolerant to gluten have celiac disease, which can cause death if not treated properly.
    To test for celiac disease you have to eat a gluten diet.....no can do....sorry but I don't trust doctors....they have my mom strung up on pills like she was a drug addict.
    My acupuncturist is also a homeopathic doc, so I consult her if needed. I appreciate your concern, just not really happy with our society over drugging it's patients.

You are wrong. To test for Celiac you don't eat a gluten diet. I have Celiac disease. There are genetic tests for it, as well as intestinal biopsies. And there are no pills for Celiac disease. Just a gluten-free diet, which I really don't think you understand. If you had Celiac disease, you wouldn't just 'not feel good' when you eat gluten. It makes you very ill, for days.

This is true. You get pretty darned sick. My SO's young cousin (I believe she was 11 at the time) was diagnosed with celiac disease after being really ill for days on end, and I believe she might have been in the hospital as well. The doctors said she had some serious problems from celiac, so it was good she was diagnosed then. Poor thing has to eat ALL gluten free, no exceptions, otherwise she could get very sick again and end up in the hospital.

I think that may have been typed that wrong. To test for celiac disease using blood tests, one must be eating gluten (approximately 1-2 slices of bread per day or the equivalent) in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing or you risk getting a false negative. It's only 2-4 weeks of gluten prior to the endoscopic biopsy.

The genetic tests are for the DQ2 and DQ8 genes, of which 97% of celiacs have at least one. Genetic tests will just tell you if you at at risk of developing celiac disease; 30% of the world has those genes but less that 1% of the world has celiac.

I do agree that you are eating quite a bit of gluten for someone with a gluten sensitivity. Barley is in all beer unless you buy brands made from sorghum or rice (sigh), and there is gluten in the older varieties of wheat out there like einkorn.

If you do suspect celiac, you might want to get tested. For the amount of gluten / gliadin protein protein you are eating, you could be keeping your body in a constant state of inflammation whether you have obvious symptoms or not. You may be doing damage to yourself and cause problems like nutritional deficincies, anemia, osteoporosis, neuropathies, ataxia, or go on to develop other autoimmune issues. If you suspect celiac at all consider getting tested.

If you won't test then you should probably go 100% gluten free so you aren't damaging your health just in case you are a celiac.

You might want to look into the paleo diet. It might be complimentary to your goals.

Best wishes.

Just so you know...unfortunately, it looks like I said something when I did not because the quote function goofed on my prior post. I was actually replying to the person in the first paragraph with this (second paragraph):
    This is true. You get pretty darned sick. My SO's young cousin (I believe she was 11 at the time) was diagnosed with celiac disease after being really ill for days on end, and I believe she might have been in the hospital as well. The doctors said she had some serious problems from celiac, so it was good she was diagnosed then. Poor thing has to eat ALL gluten free, no exceptions, otherwise she could get very sick again and end up in the hospital.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't mean to misquote you. I hope your SO's cousin is feeling better now that she is GF. It can take quite a while.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    But, that's the very reason you should go to the doctor. Many people who are intolerant to gluten have celiac disease, which can cause death if not treated properly.
    To test for celiac disease you have to eat a gluten diet.....no can do....sorry but I don't trust doctors....they have my mom strung up on pills like she was a drug addict.
    My acupuncturist is also a homeopathic doc, so I consult her if needed. I appreciate your concern, just not really happy with our society over drugging it's patients.

You are wrong. To test for Celiac you don't eat a gluten diet. I have Celiac disease. There are genetic tests for it, as well as intestinal biopsies. And there are no pills for Celiac disease. Just a gluten-free diet, which I really don't think you understand. If you had Celiac disease, you wouldn't just 'not feel good' when you eat gluten. It makes you very ill, for days.

I think that may have been typed that wrong. To test for celiac disease using blood tests, one must be eating gluten (approximately 1-2 slices of bread per day or the equivalent) in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing or you risk getting a false negative. It's only 2-4 weeks of gluten prior to the endoscopic biopsy.

The genetic tests are for the DQ2 and DQ8 genes, of which 97% of celiacs have at least one. Genetic tests will just tell you if you at at risk of developing celiac disease; 30% of the world has those genes but less that 1% of the world has celiac.

I do agree that you are eating quite a bit of gluten for someone with a gluten sensitivity. Barley is in all beer unless you buy brands made from sorghum or rice (sigh), and there is gluten in the older varieties of wheat out there like einkorn.

If you do suspect celiac, you might want to get tested. For the amount of gluten / gliadin protein protein you are eating, you could be keeping your body in a constant state of inflammation whether you have obvious symptoms or not. You may be doing damage to yourself and cause problems like nutritional deficincies, anemia, osteoporosis, neuropathies, ataxia, or go on to develop other autoimmune issues. If you suspect celiac at all consider getting tested.

If you won't test then you should probably go 100% gluten free so you aren't damaging your health just in case you are a celiac.

You might want to look into the paleo diet. It might be complimentary to your goals.

Best wishes.[/quote]

This is what I meant - that you don't eat gluten while [in] the hospital, that you were already eating gluten prior to entering the hospital, and they do the biopsies there . This is why I had false negatives, because I was eating a largely gluten-free diet prior to my biopsies, and the instructions weren't clear about the diet prior to the test for me.