Best Advice...

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    To just focus on the calorie part at first without making any big exercise changes. Letting the increased activity come later when your body has adjusted to eating fewer calories than in the past.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1. set an inspiring goal but then break it down to smaller more attainable ones and then set weekly operational goals.
    2.Figure out your BMR and TDEE and find your sweet spot of losing comfortably
    3. under-eating (under your calorie goal) always leads to overeating.
    4. have a plan for unusual circumstances
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's ok to cook for your family and then eat something different yourself.

Or, eat a little of it (moderation) and fill the rest of your plate with veggies. I did this with spaghetti this week. A very small portion of spaghetti and I filled the other 3/4's of my plate with a nice healthy salad. I was happy!

This. Your freezer and slow cooker are great tools - use them! I batch cook once a month - pasta sauce, roasting veggies etc so I know there is always easy, healthy stuff in the freezer for me.

Do exercise you enjoy, and you can work into your life - otherwise you will quickly resent it.

Don't compare your losses to others - we are all different.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1. Log everything even on bad days (it may look better after a week).
    2. Read Susie Orbach on Eating (first self help book I have ever read and now I think every time I put food in my mouth)
    3. Don't cut out the foods you love... you are more likely to crave and binge on them.

Feel free to add me :smile:
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am only a couple of months in but my biggest saviour is find substitutes for craving. If I crave something like chips I will fill a bowl with raw sugar snap peas and add a tbsp of fat free italian dressing...I get the crunch and salt. If I want something sweet I do a yoplait blended vanilla greek yogurt. Find those kind of things that you like to eat and stock up on variety so that you always have a go to.

For excercise, as most have said, find something you like to do. I play just dance on sweat mode because I love to dance and have a great time doing it. I look forward to cardio now and try to compete to do it a little longer each time.

Find someone for support...nothing motivates me more than a fellow mfp friend I know from work, she has lost so much the right way and is looking awesome.

Most importantly, every day is a triumph.....you CAN do this! It might be really hard at first but shortly it will be second nature and easier than you ever thought :)

Oh, and feel free to add me!
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Loving these ... Keep it going!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy but convenient foods around so that it's easy to stay on target even if you get the munchies.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You didn't fall off the wagon, you hit a bump in the trail.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My list is similar to everyone else. I have been using MFP for a few years, but only recently started looking at the community. I think my first piece of advice would be to use this community as a resource and support, as there are a lot of great people on here with common goals, and no judgements, and wisdom to share. Below are a couple other items

1) find an eating lifestyle you can work with for the rest of your life
    2) find something that qualifies as exercise that you actually like to do, and not force yourself
    3) severe calorie restriction is a bad idea
    4) this will take time, 1/2lb a week loss, is 26lbs a year, in two years that’s 52lbs
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, especially vegetables. Not weird powdered meal substitutes, overpriced diet biscuits (even if they are called 'protein bars') or low cal versions of highly processed food you shouldn't be eating in the first place. Unless you want to be eating that shi... er, stuff for the rest of your life. You'll save yourself a fortune.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The old chestnut.......It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Dgil1975

1) find an eating lifestyle you can work with for the rest of your life (forget the "magic" diets)
    2) find something that qualifies as exercise that you actually like to do

Those are my top two and number one is the most important!

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Consistency is king.

Also, exercise is not punishment for being 'bad' - it is a celebration of what your body is capable of doing!
  • PiscesMan123
    PiscesMan123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Discipline has taken on a negative meaning. Think of it like this...Self discipline equals Self love. Give yourself love and attention and know that even if you only lost a half pound per week... that would be 26 pounds in a year. NEVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF.