Progessive Overload Limits

Options
Like many here, my mid-40’s have snuck up on me and I’m doing my best to embrace the age and adapt my body appropriately. I’m somewhat newbie-ing it in the gym (not totally a novice, but time and techniques have definitely evolved), so I’ve got a question for the lifters out there who’ve mastered that lean, muscular level of fitness. Everything I’ve been reading about lifting has really focused on progressive overload, which I understand and have been practicing with noticeable results. I’m 6-foot tall, 185lbs, and not blessed with very beefy bones. When I first slunk back into the gym 5 months ago, I started on the bench press at 95lbs for 8 reps (yeah, I was that girly man who would sneak into the gym at odd hours so no one could see me make the constipation face with less than 100lbs). But I stuck with it, and now I’m lifting 275lbs for 3 sets of 8 reps. It doesn’t make me a beast, but I’m damn well proud of it for me. Except I can’t seem to get past that level of weight (not for 8 reps at least). My question pertains to the “progressive overload” dictum. Surely you can’t keep increasing the weight forever. Is there some rule of thumb that outlines what your physiological limit is for weight? Do you just stay with that weight? Any experienced lifters out there with some guidance? I’ve focused on bench press here, but same goes for squats, deadlifts, etc.

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Like many here, my mid-40’s have snuck up on me and I’m doing my best to embrace the age and adapt my body appropriately. I’m somewhat newbie-ing it in the gym (not totally a novice, but time and techniques have definitely evolved), so I’ve got a question for the lifters out there who’ve mastered that lean, muscular level of fitness. Everything I’ve been reading about lifting has really focused on progressive overload, which I understand and have been practicing with noticeable results. I’m 6-foot tall, 185lbs, and not blessed with very beefy bones. When I first slunk back into the gym 5 months ago, I started on the bench press at 95lbs for 8 reps (yeah, I was that girly man who would sneak into the gym at odd hours so no one could see me make the constipation face with less than 100lbs). But I stuck with it, and now I’m lifting 275lbs for 3 sets of 8 reps. It doesn’t make me a beast, but I’m damn well proud of it for me. Except I can’t seem to get past that level of weight (not for 8 reps at least). My question pertains to the “progressive overload” dictum. Surely you can’t keep increasing the weight forever. Is there some rule of thumb that outlines what your physiological limit is for weight? Do you just stay with that weight? Any experienced lifters out there with some guidance? I’ve focused on bench press here, but same goes for squats, deadlifts, etc.

First off, is that a typo? going from 95 - 275 in 5 months is very impressive.

And yes, you can't keep progressively loading forever. Its probably time to switch from whatever beginner program you were using to an intermediate program. There's a couple of different ones you can use (I use Wender's 5/3/1), or you can lower the reps you're using and keep trying to progress linearly that way for a while.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's an impressive amount of weight especially for a guy your size. Tripling the weight you do in 3 months is not the standard progression by any means.
    Changing up your program should help if you are evening out. Many ways to do so.
  • version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gents. I just googled Wender 5/3/1. I'll give that a shot.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would lower to 5 reps first and see if you can get some more linear gains, but after that what jhc said
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    one thing I love about weights is there is always room on the bar for 5 more pounds.

You may need to deload- or you may need to drop reps- 8 is a lot for heavy .

But ultimately- there's always 5 more pounds you can squeeze on the bar!