Watched an eye opening movie.

Options
FitJoani
FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
Hi all. I know this is kinda off the topic of exercise/fitness but it does raise some food awareness. I watched a movie called "The Future of Food". It basically talked about genetic engineering, use of pesticides, use of herbicides, conglamorates who try to mass produce this mess they call produce. I think that it should make anyone who watches it switch to organic. I am as organic as I absolutely can be. From what I eat to what I use even to what I wear!!!! Its shocking how much crap we can put in our bodies with the conventional produce....EWWWWWW

Replies

• FitJoani
    Options
    Hi all. I know this is kinda off the topic of exercise/fitness but it does raise some food awareness. I watched a movie called "The Future of Food". It basically talked about genetic engineering, use of pesticides, use of herbicides, conglamorates who try to mass produce this mess they call produce. I think that it should make anyone who watches it switch to organic. I am as organic as I absolutely can be. From what I eat to what I use even to what I wear!!!! Its shocking how much crap we can put in our bodies with the conventional produce....EWWWWWW
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I swear that is why this country is so fat. Because of all the processed food and all the chemicals on our "nautral" food. Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back to how things used to be and just buy locally grown and organic?

The movie I want to see is King Corn. I'll post about it when I do. But check it out on the web, I bet you'd find it interesting.
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I wont eat any "diet food" for the same reason. UMMMM Yummy Lab Made Food, now with more rat poison and other harmful chemicals. I follow my personal motto, if I have no idea how to pronounce it I will not eat it. Its simple...but that convienvnce of grabbing whatever is what makes everyone so unhealthy...you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is a farmers market right in the town I live in. I've thought about going there b/c the fruits and veggies are grown right there. I'm sure they are much better than the ones in the grocery store. Plus, I can support the local farmer. Thanks for the insite!
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I read an article about organic vs locally grown (of course both is best). But if you are faced with buying a fuji apple, one is organic but grown across the country and shipped. The other is locally grown but has pesitsides. Which is better?

On one hand with the organic you are getting a healthier apple. But what about the enviroment? What did it take to ship that apple across the states?

On the other hand with the locally grown, you are not getting a healthier apple, but you are helping your local economy, supporting local farmers, and helping the enviroment.

Of course both would be best, I like to eat organic where I can. But I thought that was an interesting point.

Excuse the pun, but good food for thought. :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I sooo support local farmers markets and stands! I wish this was a bigger deal where I live! We have farmers but it's all shipped out to other states! I am sooo glad my father grows a garden and summer is just a bounty of goodness!

As I told my mom the other day after seeing the grocery bill....With gas prices going up foods that have high turn over (fresh fruits, veggies, meat) are going to get more expensive cause the trucks will have to run more.
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I try to buy local produce as well. Via farm stands and farm markets, that is if I can't grow it myself. I am a green freak and figure from the ground to my plate I control it...but there are certain things that just do not grow well here in my pittsburgh soil...but luckily most things do. Unfortunately I am not growing pineapple and mango, hahahahaha so that HAS to be Organic and FAIR TRADE as well....
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    How do you know if the locally grown produce is treated with pesticides? Maybe it's not. I know a lot of folks here in GA that grow there own produce in there own back yard. I;m sure they don't use pesticides! Haha! I think I will go to that farmers market and ask the person running it.

Thank for the food for thought. :bigsmile:
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I've heard there is a farmers market right in the town I live in. I've thought about going there b/c the fruits and veggies are grown right there. I'm sure they are much better than the ones in the grocery store. Plus, I can support the local farmer. Thanks for the insite!
    Here is a WONDERFUL website to find out what is local and or organic

www.localharvest.org it shows you where the local stands and farms are and even has ones that ship, great website!!!!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Not to bust any one here, but there isnt much difference between organic and "non-organic"
    Both types of produce are grown on huge fields owned by conglomerates (it takes a lot of money to grow organically)

Not to mention how impossible it is to keep pesticides from neighboring farms off of the produce, esp once its leaked into the ground or into the air. In most cases, the organic and non-organic fields aren't seperated by very much.

While it would be nice to get an actual "organic" fruit, most times its not the case, and you are just over paying for what might as well have been treated like the rest.

You're best bet is to buy from your local farmers. They use natural fertilizers (aka cow poo) and you're helping the little guy who actually needs the money, and if you buy from a farmers market, you usually aren't paying for shipping and packaging costs. The money you give goes straight to the farmers families.

Istudied this a little bit in college, but Im not an expert.
    Just shedding some light on the whole "organic" situation, don't be TOO FAST to drink the kool-aid!
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Not to bust any one here, but there isnt much difference between organic and "non-organic"
    Both types of produce are grown on huge fields owned by conglomerates (it takes a lot of money to grow organically)

Not to mention how impossible it is to keep pesticides from neighboring farms off of the produce, esp once its leaked into the ground or into the air. In most cases, the organic and non-organic fields aren't seperated by very much.

While it would be nice to get an actual "organic" fruit, most times its not the case, and you are just over paying for what might as well have been treated like the rest.

You're best bet is to buy from your local farmers. They use natural fertilizers (aka cow poo) and you're helping the little guy who actually needs the money, and if you buy from a farmers market, you usually aren't paying for shipping and packaging costs. The money you give goes straight to the farmers families.

Istudied this a little bit in college, but Im not an expert.
    Just shedding some light on the whole "organic" situation, don't be TOO FAST to drink the kool-aid!

I've actually heard this same thing... that's def why I suggested local farmers.