Rest Days?

Hi! I'm new, and trying to lose fat and build strength/not lose muscle, I'm also diabetic which complicates things. I'm a little bit overwhelmed right now, so maybe y'all can help. :)

I realize my diet isn't the best right now, I need to up my protein and I want to dump the "white carbs". I haven't been so successful this week (death in the family, plus it's close to payday).

I'm currently going to the gym five days a week, doing cardio for about 25-30 minutes at a time, with strength training three times a week.

I'm also currently using the machines (FreeMotion brand cable machines) at the gym, because I'm not sure what to do with free weights yet. (Next week I'm going to a Jump Start class which will teach me how to use kettlebells and the ropes and stuff) I've seen my strength increase because of the machines (I've doubled my starting weight from 20 pounds to 40 pounds on one machine, and have pretty much seen the rest of the machines follow suit).

ANYWAY, here's my question, and it's probably pretty dumb (sorry). Do I really need a rest day between weight lifting days? I'm not sore after a workout and I'm not lifting a lot of weight yet. Or should I increase my weight until I can't do as many reps? I don't want to injure myself and I want to Do It Right.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Hm...soreness isn't necessarily an indication of how hard you're working but it can be. Also you don't necessarily need to take rest days if you're staggering which parts of the body you're working on. Like Monday arm day, Tuesday leg day, etc.

More info is needed to say for sure I think. What is your current routine? Which machines do you use and how many reps and sets are you doing? Are you doing full body every day or certain parts on certain days?
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    I don't actually have a routine yet. I kind of just go around using the different machines until I'm tired. :blushing:

I have typically been using the arm/upper body machines. Rowing, triceps, lats, chest, and biceps. The reps and weight vary. On the row machine I can do three sets of ten reps (each arm) at 40 pounds. On the other machines I can do only a total of 15 reps at (I think) 20 pounds.

Yesterday I only did two machines (triceps and row) because the rest were full.

I need to learn how to use the squat machine and start using the leg machines again, because I really need to build strength in my legs (I'm recovering from a knee surgery and want stronger quads and hamstrings to prevent injury again), I just don't like using them because my knee "clicks".
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your rough week. From reading your post I would recommend having rest days (from strength training) in between as right now it looks like you are focuing on the upper body (which is good). In my current routine I do strength training three times a week and I do the whole body. The days between I focus on getting lots of protein to help with recovery and building muscle.

BTW, thanks for adding me as your friend. :smile:
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Thanks! I'll keep on having rest days then and up my protein. :)

Also, I mispoke in my OP, I'm not looking to lose fat/gain muscle, I'm looking to lose fat and gain strength. I realized after reading some more threads that there is a difference.

Oh, and you're welcome. Always glad to get new friends. :)
  • supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    In my opinion, you shouldn't be hitting any muscle group more than twice per week. If you want to keep your lifting at 3x per week, doing an upper body day, a lower body day, and a full body day would be fine. Also in my opinion, if you're new to lifting and you're not sore, you're not working hard enough. You can probably lift more than you think you can. You won't injure yourself from increasing weight, just make sure you're using proper form.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    In my opinion, you shouldn't be hitting any muscle group more than twice per week. If you want to keep your lifting at 3x per week, doing an upper body day, a lower body day, and a full body day would be fine. Also in my opinion, if you're new to lifting and you're not sore, you're not working hard enough. You can probably lift more than you think you can. You won't injure yourself from increasing weight, just make sure you're using proper form.

Oh, twice a week? Okay, I can do that. That's good to know. Thanks!

I upped my weights Thursday and came home kind of sore, but the soreness went away by the next day.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    i have a rest day because im too busy to really work out ..usually i am working as a nurse for 8-16 hours that day so for me thats enough exercise ..its in an nursing home where you dont really have time to sit on your *kitten*
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Go by how your body feels....if you feel okay, then you can train every day. Alternate cardio and weights day by day if you like, but really, given that you are mucking around on the machines and you are new to it, you will be fine for now.

What you should do sooner rather than later, is get yourself on a full body lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Allpro's beginner). Once you get serious about weight training (I'm not saying you don't take it seriously right now, but your program is willy nilly :flowerforyou: ) Then you will do strength 3x week and cardio as needed.

Besides that, you should have 1 full rest day, even if an active rest day (light walking) every week.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Go by how your body feels....if you feel okay, then you can train every day. Alternate cardio and weights day by day if you like, but really, given that you are mucking around on the machines and you are new to it, you will be fine for now.

What you should do sooner rather than later, is get yourself on a full body lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Allpro's beginner). Once you get serious about weight training (I'm not saying you don't take it seriously right now, but your program is willy nilly :flowerforyou: ) Then you will do strength 3x week and cardio as needed.

Besides that, you should have 1 full rest day, even if an active rest day (light walking) every week.

Hey, thanks! I'll pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women in a couple weeks (once I get some money in hand :) ). I do need to get as serious about lifting as I am about my cardio. My program is willy nilly and not very effective. :blushing:
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I had a trainer a few years ago that put me on this schedule:

Back and biceps one day
    Chest and triceps one day
    Legs one day.
    That was a total of three days a week
    Every day I worked out I also ran 15 minutes on a treadmill and did an ab set on a ball.

This is a common combo I think. Good luck to you.