Back in a rut, some how always find myself here

Options
Once again I am in the I don't give a poop stage. I feel I never ever leave this stage and all I do is sit here and complain. I want to loose the weight I do, but yet I find getting the motivation so damn difficult! I have all these amazing motivators on here and I am good at motivating others but not so much when it comes to myself. I say I am going to wake up and get back my early morning workout (since its the only time I can) and I hit snooze and fall back asleep till I need to get up for work. I do great with my eating at work then once I get home I say screw it and snack and drink beer. And don't even get me started on the weekends. I feel all I know how to do is attempt then give up right away then sit back and complain about my weight and everything and sound like a debbie downer. I guess I am just getting sick of being so defeated and in a funk that I just seem to climb out of. I know I am only one that can make the change but I am not quiet sure what will make that happen. :frown: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Replies

• bratdaze
    bratdaze Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Finding the motivation is hard I get stuck on that a lot but don't give up till you find something that interest you. :smile:
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to have a friend that lives near you that could help? I asked a lady that I 'kind of knew' if she would start being my walking partner. I had met her a few times at the YMCA and around town and we would talk...but I told her that I needed a partner to hold me accountable. She was knocking on my door at 4:45 AM the other day, got me out of bed and I did one of the best/ fastest walks I have ever done!!! We have been working out together off and on for almost a year now and she has saved my life. I have a long way to go, but she is always there, getting me up, getting me out....and now...when she is unable to work out with me, I want to do it so that I can email her and 'make her proud'. That was what I had to do. Do I still not give a "f#$@" once in a while...yup...but I will tell you what...she is awesome about getting me back up.

Good luck on your journey...and just remember...it does not matter how many times you quit and start....what matters is that you keep starting...I have started over a million times I am sure. LOL But I keep getting back up and trying. I learn something new every time and that is what counts. Keep logging and keep trying....it is a slow process and you can make it!!!
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    Pick ONE thing each week and work on that. The other things will start to fall into place. Something as simple as committing to walk 20 minutes every day, rain or shine, can make all the difference.

Also, you admit it yourself that you don't want to be in the "don't give a *kitten* stage." You can sit around and think about why you feel that way, all of the reasons you got there, how you somehow deserve to be there or you can do something different. As I recently read...."who cares why the elephant is standing on your foot, just get him off!"

Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up and get out a piece of paper and a pen. Write down all the things you want to accomplish and decide where weight loss fits in. If it is a priority make it one. Write down all your excuses. Read them over and over. Are they valid ?(probably not) Burn the paper - your excuses are gone and you should not use them anymore I was doing yard work and had to carry a 40 pound bag of sand. It was heavy and I was tired after carrying it around. Then I realized I carried around an extra 40 pounds with me all the time, no wonder I was tired and had no energy. Get yourself going you will be thankful you did.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sign up for something! Find a 5K towards the end of the summer, and start doing Couch to 5K to get ready. Or find a bike ride that you need to train for. If you sign up for something, you're more likely to get out there so you don't look like an idiot when you do (not that you would, but that's the fear). Once you start exercising, it's easier to keep on track with the diet because you don't want to derail all that hard work (for me anyway).

I've so been where you are. For me, it took my doctor telling me that my cholesterol was high to get me back on track.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Pick ONE thing each week and work on that. The other things will start to fall into place. Something as simple as committing to walk 20 minutes every day, rain or shine, can make all the difference.

Also, you admit it yourself that you don't want to be in the "don't give a *kitten* stage." You can sit around and think about why you feel that way, all of the reasons you got there, how you somehow deserve to be there or you can do something different. As I recently read...."who cares why the elephant is standing on your foot, just get him off!"

Good luck!

Thanks! I love the Elephant comment!
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    You wake up, you want to go back to bed, you dread the gym, dread pushing yourself past your comfort zone --- but you know listening to those negative thoughts in your head , those thoughts that restrict you from reaching your fitness goals and successes will only leave you saying "I should have when I had the chance" -- Don't say tomorrow, don't make excuses. It's your life, your future, get there and achieve those goals! ????
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    You wake up, you want to go back to bed, you dread the gym, dread pushing yourself past your comfort zone --- but you know listening to those negative thoughts in your head , those thoughts that restrict you from reaching your fitness goals and successes will only leave you saying "I should have when I had the chance" -- Don't say tomorrow, don't make excuses. It's your life, your future, get there and achieve those goals! ????

If I could get rid of the voices in my head...I would be so much better off. I am killing them slowly. I am 268 pounds and I now work out min. 6 days a week...some times twice a day. I am up early to work out with a friend in the AM before work...and I have now hired a trainer that I work out with 2 or 3 days a week at night (he keeps me honest and it is a commitment) and I also found a fun class at the Y after work that I enjoy going to that is a total cardio sweat fest.....So....while the voices are still sass talking me, I have made these commitments and other people would wonder where I was and I think the fear of letting them down is too great to not go. I am not saying I like working out....but it is getting easier and easier to do it. Almost addicting.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts on here, but I would add that if one of your problems is that you hit snooze on the alarm, move the alarm far away from your bed so that you have to get up to turn it off. I do this and I find it's very effective. It's the equivalent of, well... I'm up! Might as well work out! The inertia from that will get you through the day and make you feel motivated to make other good choices. I would also add, pick something fun for your workout that you won't get sick of like Zumba or a walk in a pretty (safe) spot. That way you're not dreading your workout.

Just some tips from an early bird!
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This may be too simplistic, but would you be able to switch to an after-work or after-dinner workout? My sister is the opposite of a morning person, so runs at night. I prefer late afternoons.
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Cassie, one more comment and the I promise I am done. For 3 @#$#@ing weeks, I have been at 268 pounds. I work out out every morning 6 days a week and then also 3 to 4 days in the evening with either a trainer or a class. And while I know my body is changing....I am not losing the weight. My trainer is as shocked as I am...we have changed my diet again.....lowering the sodium and trying to ONLY eat from the outside aisles of the store....BELIEVE me...I know the phrase, "I want to quit"....I can not buy junk food for in the house any more, there is no beer, no wine nothing that I love any more. The husband, daughter and grandkids are having to deal with it, it is not bad that there is no junk for them....I just can't have it in the house or I will eat it.

I have fallen off the wagon more times than I care to admit...but even though the scale is not moving....I still am. I have 2 people in my life that will NOT give up on me and they push me. . . both of them work out with me, one if my trainer and he said if I missed a session he would come to my house and get me...the other is a friend I work out with and she does come to my house and get me. Or she makes me come and pick her up so I still have to be accountable. Find some one.....ask them for help....that is what I had to do and they are helping me and then some...my life is changing and it is awesome!!!