Suggestions

Options
nboyl9543
nboyl9543 Posts: 14 Member
I work Sunday-Thursday 5-10:30, so I am rarely home for dinner. This makes it very difficult for me to diet because I was so used to eating "real" meals for dinner and now I am stuck with soup, sandwiches and slim fast shakes. I'm getting burned out! Any suggestion on what I can do to change it up?

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Do you have a refrigerator at work, or do you have to keep everything in your own container?
  • nboyl9543
    Options
    We have a refrigerator and a microwave
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Bring a cooler with some ice packs, and bring your own meals?

Edit:

Could you just bring your own meals from home, then? Leftovers, or things you specifically cook for work.

Each week I will make a few things to bring to work for my lunches. I've made meatloaf in muffin tins, for easy serving sizes, then freeze the rest for a later date.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what I 'd do. Make meals ahead and pack them for supper.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have your main meal at lunchtime and a sandwich or salad for tea?
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I work those hours too after working full time days... I pack an extra sandwich for the day, as I do not get to go home in between jobs. And I know they are not healthy, but I sometimes bring a Ramen or Mac cup. They are quick and filling. It sucks to work those hours... but packing and making stuff ahead seems to work for me. Other ideas: hard boiled eggs, pb&j, protein bars...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Have your main meal at lunchtime and a sandwich or salad for tea?

This ^^ Or bring leftovers for dinner.

Since you have a way to reheat food, you could even have a full meal in the evening on your break. Cook during the day while your off, then eat it in the evening. You could still make that your biggest meal if you want.
  • MadelineGraceG
    MadelineGraceG Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the SlimFast and go for a protein shake. SlimFast has quite a bit of sugar. And although I'm not a huge fan of meals that are drank, (I prefer to munch) ;) I've had: milk, chocolate protein powder, and a frozen banana blended together for a small meal. I also suggest wraps. You can make a bunch of chicken on your day off to use in wraps for the work-week. Chicken spiced with chili powder in a skillet with beans, fresh spinach, and tomatoes in a tortilla make a good wrap. Or chicken salad without too much mayo. Good luck! :D
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend keeps the freezer at his work stocked with healthy goodies. Precooked chicken, rice, and steamer bags of veggies pop in the microwave and save the day any time he forgets his lunch. You don't have to do the actual steamer bags, he just does because the guys at his work keep breaking the bowls he would normally nuke his veggies in. The nice part about using the freezer is that he only has to cook once a month without worrying that his food will go bad.
  • amylynnrobert
    amylynnrobert Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is no bake so it will keep in the fridge and can be eaten cold. I make these kinds of foods for quick meals and snacks.

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=raw food recipes&rs=ac&len=8

Hope I was a help! Good Luck!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone likes microwaved eggs, but I bought a microwave egg cooker, and this week I've been having turkey sausage and egg with cheese on a toasted English muffin, and cut up peppers on the side for lunch. Veggie burgers are easy to keep in the freezer and heat up in the microwave, just bring little containers with your "fixin's". A big salad with some kind of protein in it, hot dogs, chicken breasts, tuna, leftovers from the day before. I have a microwave steamer I keep at work to steam a bag of veggies, then I have enough for a few days. We get free coffee here, so I'll bring a container of milk and one of protein powder and make protein lattes. I even keep ice cream in the work freezer, because I eat it for breakfast, but we don't have people who steal food here, so it's safe.
  • nboyl9543
    Options
    Wow! these are great tips!! I will definitely be changing things up! Thanks so much everyone!
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I work evenings I usually eat "dinner" or my biggest meal at lunch time or early afternoon, and then eat smaller snacks/ light lunch type foods when I am at work. See my diary for some examples.