egg whites

Options
I like to eat egg whites because they are such a good source of protein and low in calories and easy to prepare BUT I can not find a way to get them to really taste good. I have tried hot sauce, soya sauce and sugar like in the sushi, boiled and fried but the taste is still just OK. Nothing that gets me excited anyways. I don't really have room in my plan for cheese and try not to go there. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What about mushrooms or red or green peppers?
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How about salsa?
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love an egg white sandwich. I take 3 egg whites, garlic, italian seasoning, (and I put a 1/2 tbsp of parm, but you could do it without), beat slightly, microwave for 1 min, stir a little 30 more sec, then put on a sanwich thin with spinach.
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    Fresh ground black pepper. A little salt. sorry.
    a pinch of chipotle chili powder.
    one egg yolk to five whites.
    fresh ripe tomato with the pulp removed.
    sauteed ancho or pimento pepper.
    garlic powder

this is what has worked for me.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    What about the whole egg? Just curious.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I season mine with kosher sea salt and fresh gound black pepper and eat them with Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon. I eat this (almost) every day and I still love it!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I season mine with kosher sea salt and fresh gound black pepper and eat them with Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon. I eat this (almost) every day and I still love it!
    That sounds interesting. Thanks.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love deviled eggs!! I make a bunch of hard boiled eggs, cut in half, take out the yolks, and for the filling just use a LITTLE yolk, low fat mayo, sugar free relish, diced red onions, diced celery, and dijon mustard...delicious! Another way I like it is I make a 3 egg white omelette with goat cheese and tomatoes. Its yummy.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    breffis this morning:
    one egg 2 whites
    garlic powder, cayenne, ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
    diced onion
    fresh baby spinach
    pinch of low-fat part skim mozzarella (optional I added it and couldn't taste it so probably won't do that again)
    2 peices of center cut bacon.
    Half an avacado

Heat the pan, saute' the onion until it starts to turn translucent. Meanwhile start the bacon and beat the eggs with the dry spices.
    Add the egg to the pan when the egg is ALMOST done throw in the fresh spinach (you just want it wilted not slimy) and the sprinkle of cheese. Plop that in a bowl when it's done. When the bacon is done (probably about the same time) put it on a paper towel to absorb any additional grease and cruble it into your bowl. At this point it's so yummy you could just nosh away.I know I'm gonna have extra calories today so I topped it with half an avacado diced. If you were inclined you could also top it with pico de gallo. YUM! :bigsmile: I love breffist!
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I saute onions and then add the egg whites. When it is just about done I crumble up .5 oz of Feta cheese. You don't need much because it is such a strong taste, it is only an extra 37 calories. I love it and eat it just about every day with some butterball turkey bacon....YUM.
  • Slim1sonya
    Slim1sonya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them with cilantro, and or as an omlette with spinach tomato and mushroom also with salsa if you enjoy those flavors. I too find that they have a bit of an aftertaste alone. When in season thin cut summer squash zucchini and a sprinkle of grated parmesan is very tasty too.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    There were so many really great suggestions already posted. I make a white's only omelet using red and green bell peppers and onions (sauteed with a tiny bit of olive oil before cooking the whites. If I have some turkey or chicken, I will use that or otherwise turkey bacon (I buy the precooked because it is easier) - cut into small bits one strip or even 1/2 strip and sautee with the onions and peppers and then a small ripe tomato cut up. cook until the onions are turning brown - add a bit of nature's seasons or Mrs. Dash's seasoning - set it aside - pour the egg whites into a pan (again a tiny bit of olive oil just to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook the whites for a little bit, then pour the veggies and bacon in on top - cook a bit more and fold over. I usually use weight watcher's low calorie cheddar cheese (only 40 calories per slice) and put that on top - it is soo delicious - had one this morning actually minus the bacon. Yummy.

Vickie
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have 2 egg whites scrambled with 2 tbs Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles most mornings
  • Krymsen
    Options
    Egg whites in Oatmeal rock!
  • ruthcooper
    ruthcooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I made a quick low cal egg foo yung for lunch yesterday. Saute onions, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, bok choy (and/or any other vegetables you have around) in a touch of canola and sesame oil with some chopped ginger and garlic. Add soy and a touch more sesame oil to egg whites and pour over veg. in small non-stick skillet. When cooked on bottom use a large spatula to flip. If I have time while it is cooking will make a sauce of soy, sherry, hot garlic chili paste, chopped green onions or chives, a little cornstarch if you want it thicker. Usually just a squirt of siracha at the table Experiment.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks so much everybody - I have tons of new ideas now. I am going to the store right now to stock up on some of the ingredients I'll need for tomorrow's breckie. Bland egg whites no more!
  • Heliconia
    Options
    Egg whites in oatmeal? Do you cook them and then toss them in or do you cook them in the oatmeal while the oatmeal is cooking? Just curious - sounds too horrible to eat! Just kidding - haha
  • Krymsen
    Options
    I add them before I cook my oatmeal and cook it in the Mircwave for about 5 mins just make sure you put it in a big bowl or watch them because they will boil over. It makes it very fluffy and yummy.
  • Heliconia
    Options
    Maybe I will try that after all!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I try for a 1 whole egg to 3 egg white ratio. So, for 4 eggs worth of scrambled eggs I use 3 egg whites and one whole egg. Easier if you can share it with someone. Then you end up with 1/2 of a whole egg and 1.5 egg whites.