I dropped the Ball

Options
fatsis
fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
I didn't even get my wife a mothers day card, I put my daughters gift (she bought herself) somewhere and I can't find, and then my wife informed me that I didn't do anything for her on her B-day in Jan. I absolutely feel like crap and do not know where to begin to make it right. She deserves much better. Help
:frown:

Replies

• fatsis
    Options
    I didn't even get my wife a mothers day card, I put my daughters gift (she bought herself) somewhere and I can't find, and then my wife informed me that I didn't do anything for her on her B-day in Jan. I absolutely feel like crap and do not know where to begin to make it right. She deserves much better. Help
    :frown:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Never too late! A nice dinner, sentimental and heart felt card, gift of something she would never buy for herself, framed pic of the family, day at the spa, have the house cleaned....
    :smile:
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How about just telling her you are sorry! I believe people put to much importance on these special occasation days that the card companys have made up so now you feel as though you are entitled to a gift or have to give a gift. I'm sure that you will find your daughters gift for her mom, just think back to when you received it and go from there!:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with AJCM! Just go ALL out and show her how much she means to you. :wink:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It happens. I have a yahoo adress and messenger and I put all the dates I need to remember in there , they give me an Email 2 days in advance. Now to the making up part.... I'm not sure what your wife likes but most of us want to be appreciated, so helping with chores, flowers, a bubble bath all by herself .... I'm sorry cards... planning a special day ???
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I agree, it's never too late....but you're going to need to make this up to her..BIG TIME :)
    Good luck :)
    A sincere apology would be a GREAT start!

Kim
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    You may view this as venting, and it is. I too have a husband that doesn't pay attention all the time.
    First you should think long and hard about what it is your wife does for your family. Then you should remember the times where she says, " I wish I had..." or " That is so beautiful" and buy it for her. Wrap the gifts, it will show you put more effort into it. Take her to her favorite place to eat, or stay at home and cook for her. (Don't leave the kitchen a mess though, clean up after yourself). Start a load of laundry, pick up after yourself, help the kids with the homework. Do some of your wifes everyday chores, so she will see you appreciate what she does. One more suggestion, do it NOW! Don't wait til next year or next week, time to kiss butt. Good Luck
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    You may view this as venting, and it is. I too have a husband that doesn't pay attention all the time.
    First you should think long and hard about what it is your wife does for your family. Then you should remember the times where she says, " I wish I had..." or " That is so beautiful" and buy it for her. Wrap the gifts, it will show you put more effort into it. Take her to her favorite place to eat, or stay at home and cook for her. (Don't leave the kitchen a mess though, clean up after yourself). Start a load of laundry, pick up after yourself, help the kids with the homework. Do some of your wifes everyday chores, so she will see you appreciate what she does. One more suggestion, do it NOW! Don't wait til next year or next week, time to kiss butt. Good Luck

Great advice.
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jillian!

You need to pay attention. If you can't remember dates, come up with a system to help you. It's not about the money you spend or the present itself, it's the idea that you thought about that person and picked out something you thought she would like. Even if it is just a card. Pick one out that says what you mean. If you don't have time, writing a hand-written note is sometimes even more special.

Everyone just wants to feel loved and appreciated. So make sure you don't neglect your wife!!!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Ha my Dh can beat that with his last years "dropped ball"...trust me!

zen
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Is it really that big of a deal?? She is not your mother. You have a great attitude towards life and are doing something to better your life and therefore the lives of your loved ones. That's a gift for everyday. I say you cook her dinner and call it a day. Afterall we are mothers everyday right??
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeah, make it up now... don't wait! And try to think hard about what she likes... really hard. Make her feel very special and "appreciated" is key! And you definitely need to start with an apology. :cry:
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options

And don't just do this once cause you messed up. Helping around the house and specials thoughts on random days 'just because', show you apprecaite her all year long.
  • fatsis
    Options
    Thank you all. I was expecting a few cross words but all I got was help.

I will update as long as isn't TMI.