thyroid problems..HELP

Options
I'm new here, and have a LOT of frustration! I have hypothyroid, and high bp, and have just been giagnosed as pre-diabetic with insulin resistance.They just put me on Metformin, which they give to diabetics. I have been working out for the last 2 months with a trainer and have not lost 1 pound. I've lost 8 inches, which is great...but my thyroid still isn't regulated so i'm not getting the correct dose. Which means basically, no matter what I do...i'm stuck. Any suggestions? Is anyone else having similiar issues? No matter what I do, or how much time I spend in the gym I get nowhere.

Replies

• jennicain
    Options
    I had the same diagnosis, only without the high BP. I take .88 mg of synthroid which has helped to regulate my thyroid. I actually went up to 1.00 mg for a while until I started losing. I had tried everything as well, even meridia (a weight loss drug) and nothing helped. I also found, through my endocrinologist that I am vitamin D deficient. I take 10,000 mg per week of that as well. Along with that, I maintain a 1200 calorie a day diet and an active lifestyle and have FINALLY had success. You may want to discuss these options with your doctor/endocrinologist. My regular doctor sent me to an endo and I now see him. I went from 145 in 2007 to 210 in 2009 due to hypothyroid issues so I fully understand. I started at 203 on September 7 and am now at 163 as of today, so what I am doing works! That and A LOT of water and a good vitamin! Good Luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • karenself
    Options
    Maybe you need to re-frame how you define success.

Losing 8 inches doesn't sound like "getting no where". Don't be so hard on yourself. Try having your body fat tested and see if you are making progress there. We absolutely cannot measure our progress by the scale alone. You have probably put on some muscle if you are shrinking but staying the same weight. 8 inches is significant! Do your pants and shirts fit any better?

It does take time, especially with a bad thyroid. Get your meds in order, keep working hard and give yourself credit for the progress you have made! You are doing great, just keep at it.
  • MrBuckeye
    Options
    I too suffer from Hypo-Thyroidism. I take 150 MCG of Synthroid daily. I also take my one a day vitamin, as well as a few supplements the guy at the health food store recommended.

1. Nature's Plus Mega CLA 1200. It is a Conjugated Linoleic Acid Supplement. It is supposed to help with energy. I really don't use caffeine unless it is in something and I don't know it.

2. Emerald Laboratories Adrenal Health. It is a Raw hole Food Based Formula with Prebiotics, Enzymes, and Probiotics.

Google them.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    You are not getting no where - you are helping your diabetic situation not get worse by exercising. The thyroid situation will get worked out and you will find your correct medication and your body will stabilize. How about your diet? Does it consist of mainly fruits, vegies, grains, etc.? Those will also help control bp and diabetes. I do know from experience these things do help. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi...I suspect I have a thyroid problem. I plan on seeing a dr soon about it. I was reading about thyroid problems on the internet and I came acrossed a webpage I think it was 3fatchicks. com or net which talked about food which "block" the absortion the thyroid enzemes and ones that help. It made references to gluton free foods. I don't know if this helped but do some research on the internet....it couldn't hurt

j
  • james3302
    Options
    I have been on my thyroid medication for uh 5 years or so. I went had my blood work done and my bad cholesterol was over 230 I think, my good cholesterol was like 24. I was given some thyroid medication because that came back as bad too. I am currently taking 1.25mcg a day and my thyroid numbers are stable, my bad cholesterol is now in the good range and my good cholesterol is coming up close to the good range. It will take some time for the drs to get the correct dosage for you. But once they do your other numbers sound start getting back to normal.

If you have lost 8 inches then you are doing great!