Going over on carbs, but not on calories..

Options
I've only been a member for 3 days, but I've already discovered one of my problems. I'm going over on carbs, but not on calories. Does anyone else have this problem and how much does it affect your weight loss? I'm eating pretty healthy..I don't get it!

Replies

• trish1215
    Options
    You should definitely be eating the whole grains (healthy carbs). If you go over once in a while thats fine but I would try to stay under the recommened amount. If you eat to many carbs it can spike your insulin which is not good. Also, carbs are your bodies source of energy..If you eat a lot of carbs and aren't working out, your body will run off of your carbs instead of burning your fat as energy. So, if I were you I would try to cut back a little on your carbs and make sure they are all good carbs. The more color your carbs have the better they are for you. Hope this helps.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and how their body responds to carbs. Personally, I have to have 70% of my intake from carbs, 15% from protein, and 15% from fat due to medical reasons. Even consuming simple sugars that I refuse to give up and keeping a very high carb count compared to most, I'm still losing. And I'm not even able to do my heavy workouts right now. So, don't stress it too much. Tweak your intake based on how your body responds and what is going on with your body, not based on XYZ diet book's recommendations. There is no perfect diet plan, carb count, fat count, etc. that is perfect for everyone. :wink:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    There are a number of reasons for this... I think the breakdown on MFP of calories from Carbs/Proteins/Fats is something like 65/20/15... Tons of contention about whether or not you should be getting more cals from protein and fat and trying to lower your carb intake. Of course, the quality of the carbohydrates you are eating makes all the difference! If you are eating white bread vs. complex carbs there is a huge nutritional difference.

I had been losing weight for a year before I began tracking my intake on MFP - my diet was extremely low fat (about 5% cals from fat) and quite low protein as well, since I am mostly vegetarian and never focused much on the make-up of my calories. Now that I am watching what I eat more carefully and actively trying to get more protein and fat in my diet, the weight is still coming off but my body is actually toning and looking stronger and healthier. I also feel more energized and my skin looks better (IMO).

I'd say try to get healthy lean proteins and fat and curb your carbohydrates to the amount provided on MFP (which is quite high actually) -- And try to make the best of the carbs you ARE eating (your diary is closed so I have no idea). Eating oats, quinoa, whole grains, loads of veggies and other high fiber and nutrient rich food will keep you feeling full and is much easier for your body to use as fuel. Also much lower in refined sugar and typically way less processed. Good luck!
  • mlharris
    mlharris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a problem going over on protein..... it's so tough because I'm addicted to carbs and try to eat less and protein is the only alternative to help be feel satisfied. I just started too and lost 3 pounds the first week... I had one bad day yesterday and had 2000 calories and all 3 pounds popped right back on... arrggg
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid processed foods and get your carbs from whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Try to eat a little more protein, it will keep you fuller for longer. Carbs burn faster so you'll feel hungry faster and will end up eating more.
  • NMorse1907
    NMorse1907 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    mlharris:
    Most likely you didn't gain anything from your one bad day. If you consumed a lot of sodium yesterday and didn't hydrate enough, your probably just retaining water. A good thing to remember if you weigh after a bad day and your scale has gone up is that to gain 1 lb you need to consume 3,500 calories on top of the amount of calories your body naturally burns throughout the day. Hope this helps :)
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Thank for the great info. everyone! I know most of my carbs are complex..whole grains, fruits, veggies. It looks like my high carbs are coming in the form of the tomato soup I love and my yogurt...I think for the most part I'm doing well. Because I'm a vegetarian, I think I tend to eat more carbs bc of the lack of protein...a lot of my protein also comes from whole grains and dairy/soy. Well, thanks for the feedback. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this program the longer I'm on it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have a problem going over on protein..... it's so tough because I'm addicted to carbs and try to eat less and protein is the only alternative to help be feel satisfied. I just started too and lost 3 pounds the first week... I had one bad day yesterday and had 2000 calories and all 3 pounds popped right back on... arrggg

As was said, water retention. That is why you should weigh in once a week at the same time (monday morning before breaky for me)

I believe the MFP %'s are a bit off for those doing a lot of exercise. I up the protein and fat and decrease the carbs but if you are vego that could be difficult. Do a search though as there was a thread not long ago about good vego protein sources.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Below is a link to determine your metabolic type & what your distribution's should be for carbs/protein/fat. It's a great resource... just take the quiz... then you can customize your percentages here.
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Below is a link to determine your metabolic type & what your distribution's should be for carbs/protein/fat. It's a great resource... just take the quiz... then you can customize your percentages here.

I dont see a link...did I miss it?