Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Some people have low blood pressure in the morning and need to eat and drink something. You may just be someone who now needs to eat before working out. Also, if you're somewhere where the climate's changed (like it has in New England) and become very hot and humid, you may not have adjusted your fluid and electrolyte intake to adjust for the change in humidity and temperature.

I don't really understand IF as a weight loss strategy because I'm one of those people who does have to eat every 3-4 hours, especially first thing in the morning. I almost fainted once running down to the basement to feed the cat because my blood pressure is on the low side.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sorry again, but no - again, from your original post, it is common you have the "shakes" after your workout on a regular basis.

That's still hypoglycemia. So essentially you're every (workout) day teetering on the edge of blacking out due to inappropriate fueling. It eventually catches up with you but you maintain it works. Hint - when you underfuel consistently, your glycogen reserves get smaller - and the opposite happens too: with proper training an athlete can increase her energy reserves from say 1 hour work capacity to 2 or more. Which is part of the reasons why a couch potato can't run a marathon but a trained runner can.

But you're right - it's simply my opinion and everyone here is an adult. You're not my friend or relative so I have no stake in the matter. Please carry on (but don't forget to post! This is entertaining and educational).
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I did IF once, it was the worst two hours of my life...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Since Aunt flow isn't here... are you perhaps.. pregnant?
    Not that not having your monthly gift means you're pregnant.
    But my sister had fainting as a symptom with her first kid (oh funny story, her husband faints easily too - especially when he sees someone else faint so one time they both passed out at church).

ETA: Try having your protein shake 15 minutes before your work out.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also practice IF and my first assumption is that your electrolytes aren't balanced. Are you getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium?
    I kind of go here too. I woudl really wonder if it is sodium. Low blood pressure could make you pass out just from standing up too quickly. So if have cut sodium during eating you are retaining water just losing it.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So am I the only person here who takes issue with OP feeling shaky at the end of a workout because she hasn't eaten at all beforehand? Really?

OP, I always recommend seeing a doctor when something like this occurs. Passing out can be a very minor issue, but it could always be a sign of something bigger that people on MyFitnessPal can't help you self-diagnose.

Until then, I would recommend eating something before you work out. I realize that IF has worked for you in the past, but obviously your body had had enough of you doing it and just said "**** it, I'm done. We're passing out now."
  • pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Whats an IF workout? I never heard of it and cant find anything online
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IF isn't a workout. It's a method of eating - Intermittent Fasting. The OP meant she does the IF method of eating and passed out after a workout.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

IF isn't a workout. It's a method of eating - Intermittent Fasting. The OP meant she does the IF method of eating and passed out after a workout.

I know. At first I thought of in vitro fertilization, but I knew that wasn't right
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP you passed out once, but were developing hunger in the mornings leading up to the 'passing out' workout. Just eat something small prior to the workout. TBSP of PB and Honey worked for me and I can work out for an hour. Some people can workout on an empty stomach. Others can't; find what works.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • bkk40in2011
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?

Very good question!

Also it costs about $20 bucks for a blood sugar monitor at your local drugstore. When you buy the monitor it comes with the lancets (to stick yourself) and the test strips. Anyone can buy them not just diabetics. For the next few days until you get in to your a doctor check your fasting blood sugar. It will just be more information to give to the doctor. IF can lower blood sugar which is good for those who have higher fasting blood sugar but for who has tendencies toward hypoglycemia it can be disastrous I would think. It also lowers blood pressure which I think was stated. Side note my son has had since he was little a hypoglycemic issue. He has to have a carb at night or he will have the shakes in the early morning. Doctor tried to get me to wait to test him until they opened which was 3 hours later!!!!! I bought the blood sugar tester and confirmed his numbers were down to 43 at one time. I think 70-99 are ok numbers. We figured it out and now he is very aware and pays attention. He is also growing out of it thank goodness. Just my two cents.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

This question also popped into my mind. I do my own daily version of This method where I eat an apple or a banana before my workout and a protein shake after. Then I eat the rest of my daily calories from noon-8pm. I have to eat some fruit before my workouts. I need that fuel beforehand. I have found that if I eat a large breakfast, then I am ravenous throughout the rest of the day and always end up going over on my calories.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for a while now, and it has been working great for me.

Doesn't seem like it.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    IF may not be as effective for women: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comment-1362

Women have more calorie needs than men and are more prone to passing out. Some people will say because men were the hunters and frequently had to go without food for longer while women stayed at camp with a more constant supply. I have no idea if that is valid, but point is, IF isn't the best choice for females. Eat when your body needs it.

On a side note, I also tried IF thinking it was the magic bullet I needed to get started, it worked for a bit, then I totally flat-lined and actually gained weight again. It took 3-4 months of hard work after that to get back on track.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You said "I naturally don't eat a lot"

How much are you eating? If you are following IF properly you should be consuming all your calories just in a smaller window of time.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for a while now, and it has been working great for me.

Doesn't seem like it.

But aside from the starving, shaking, and passing out, she's doing great!
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    "Are you, Alice, menstruating right now?"

Nice Ghostbusters reference, I chuckled a bit.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and this sounds like low blood sugar to me. :/ feel better soon hun!