Question

Options
I have a newborn and no one to watch him so I cannot go to the gym. I decided to jog on the stairs to my apartment (I live on the second floor). My calf and thigh muscles are now so sore that I cannot even walk properly.

Question is; is it safe to try to continue exercising with the pain or let the muscles heal, I fear that it will happen again if I don't continue.

Any advice?

Replies

• newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day and go at it again, unless it feels like an injury rather than just muscle soreness.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day and research fitness programs you can do with your little one. Zumba has a program called Zumbini that you do with your baby and there's also Stroller Strides and Mommy and Me. I can't elaborate too much on other options because I've never had a baby but I know there are options out there!
  • josieami
    josieami Posts: 6
    Options
    I find that (assuming it's pure soreness and not an injury) I can usually work out soreness quicker than letting it just go away.. Like if I'm sore from running, I will walk at least long enough for my muscles to warm up and release some of the tension. So maybe pace around a bit n see if it helps?
  • Delitebabe
    Delitebabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an injury, most probably soreness. Maybe I should go up and down the stairs again but just walk slowly instead of jogging.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch before and after...give it 2 days rest then do it every other day, you should be okay...that is a great exercise :happy:
  • Delitebabe
    Delitebabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch before and after...give it 2 days rest then do it every other day, you should be okay...that is a great exercise :happy:

You are right, i did not stretch before or after!!!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    sounds like you just need to stretch. I dont know your body comp, but I doubt you injured yourself just going up and down your stairs.
  • backtonormal
    Options
    I agree with most of the comments. You should definitely stretch before working out, regardless of what it is. Also sometimes if you workout too hard it, haven't worked out in a while or haven't worked out in a while and go hard then you can become really sore. I would take a day to rest and see how you feel the next day, if you feel ready to work out the next day then make sure you stretch beforehand and cool down after. :happy: