Menopause doesn't mean the end!

Options
Hi everyone!!

I'm Nanette and I recently joined because of my daughter, TaraMaria. She has been inspirational to me with her weight loss and her journey and I'm ready to get on the wagon!

I'm 54 and I feel bulky. I feel round. I feel like I'm entering the last phase of a journey and I don't want to feel that way. And this is all because of lovely menopause. I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I can either try to get healthy or just give up and let the menopause takeover. And I think that its important that I NOT give up. There have been a lot of tragedies in my life and I'm constantly in survivor mode and its time to decide to guard my health and be a survivor for myself.

So I am here! I'm taking a big step for me. This is really big. I want to meet women that are going through this same cycle of life and friend people that can be supportive. And can be encouraging. I can return the favor that if for sure!

Thank you so much for reading!!!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP:flowerforyou:
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! It's never "too late" to get healthy!!
  • brice02
    brice02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm going through periomenopause myself. It does make this weight loss journey more difficult, but it can be done! I've not had any luck in the past loisng weight. I joined this site and have lost 20 lbls so far! The motivation is awesome! Feel free to request me as a friend and good luck to you in your journey!
  • MimsDR
    MimsDR Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Gradysgramma,

I'm 53 so near enough to you in age. I know what you mean about feeling round and like you're entering the final stage of a journey. I felt exactly the same way. I never had to worry about my weight - other than keeping an eye on it - until I was diagnosed with a neurological illness some years ago. I am taking such a cocktail of drugs and my metabolism is all but static. It was like I just sat there and somebody threw fat and it all stuck to me..... But, like you, my daughter inspired me to change my attitude. I have lost 37lbs. so far and feel so much more like my old self. I am getting my confidence back, want to go out (before I preferred to just stay in coz I never felt I looked good !!) and am beginning to enjoy my life again. Weight loss has been such a big issue for me but the support available on this site is amazing !! Everybody is cheering for you and offering tips and advice. It's been a real help to me. Hope you find the same .............. MimsDR
  • ailysp
    ailysp Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. I'm also going through perimenopause so know exactly what it feels like. Feel free to add me as a friend, you will find a lot of support on this site. Good luck to you...
  • mjh720
    mjh720 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I know exactly what you mean! I have never been naturally thin, I've always had to struggle with my weight, but never has it been so hard as when I reached perimenopause, and then menopause. I've thought the same thing as you in thinking "should I keep struggling, or should I just give in". I decided quite a while ago that I can't give up, because I just don't like myself when I'm overweight. I'm 53, and have a beautiful 7 month old granddaughter, and I want to be happy and healthy for her. If I only lose 1/2 pound a week, when I used to be able to lose 2 or 3, so be it! At least I'm going in the right direction and doing something positive for myself.

Good luck, and hang in there! Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like.

:flowerforyou:
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Hi there! It's never too late to get in shape, and I am sure you can do it. You're going to find a lot of support here. You're not alone. Good luck!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I love you mom!! You can do this!!! If anyone is full of strength and stubbornness its you because I've got the same traits!!! :o)

:heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Nanette,

Welcome!! For me menopause was the beginning of a life without being miserable for 7 days out of 30. I had a hysterectomy in Jan 2009, and since then I have lost almost 75 lbs. I would ultimately like to lose about 50 more, but even another 25 will put me within the healthy weight range for my height, and I am already out of the "obese" BMI category.

For you, and anyone else who is interested, I invite you to check out the over 50 women's thread that is on here. It has been going strong for longer than I have been a member, and you will find support, laughter and good info from women who understand what you are going through. Here is a link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130945-women-ages-50-for-november

BTW, we manually start a new thread each month, and it is found under Support and Motivation forum.

Barb
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Nice to meet you!! Your daughter is amazing, but I'm sure you already know that. :smile: Good luck!! You're going to love this site! :flowerforyou: