Ready to Eat Salads

holymolar
holymolar Posts: 25
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
If you live anywhere there's a Publix grocery store, you can find these really affordable ready to eat salads by Ready Pac. I picked up a few this afternoon and had the Bistro Chef Salad for lunch. Lettuce, Ranch Dressing, Smoked Turkey and Ham, Swiss Cheese, all for 270 calories!

They also have Cobb Salad and Santa Fe along with many others.

Replies

• TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    My only question would be "how much sodium?" I have worked really hard to stay under that, as well, and have seen that the ready made salads have a LOT of sodium.
  • They have those at Walmart too and i absolutely love them!
  • I think it's great to eat salads but you have to choose lean meats like grilled chicken and turkey or fish. Also, ranch has a lot of calories and if you look at the serving it's prob 1 tablespoon for over 100 calories. If you can, make your own salads and use a light balsamic vinaigrette dressing.. Taste good and a lot less calories for that 1 tablespoon which in turn will allow you to use more than one serving.
  • The 270 calories includes the dressing. They don't give you much ranch, probably 1 tablespoon I'm guessing. Which I found to be great for portion control because I'm use to free pouring dressing and coating my salads. Connivence is a huge issue for me, and the pre-made salad once in awhile makes it easy when I need to grab something on the go.
  • You know, I didn't even think about sodium. I double checked and it was 820 in sodium. Which sounds pretty high, although I'm being told I should have 2,500. Even so, I'll just be extra careful the rest of the day.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Yes, that sodium is really high for only 270 calories.
This discussion has been closed.