Sugar addict! But in a "good" way...

Options
13»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Please teach me how to spot folks who are short on nutrients on sight. I must learn this technique.

The argument that 'we don't need sugar. . . oh, except carbs' is seriously flawed, as sugar is a carb, and because the body breaks down foods into sugar in order to function.

What many of us don't need to do is to consume calories with no nutritional value. Because we don't have the calories to spare. For example, I would have been better off eating something with protein and calcium in it last night than have the alcohol. I was short on both of those last night. If I'd had cookies, it would have been the same problem.

And when I was fat I almost never met my RDA on most nutrients. Why? Because most of my diet was sugar, specifically soda. And doctors are seeing cases of vitamin deficiencies in obese people.

So you drank too many sodas, which put you in a caloric excess and you gained weight. Therefore the problem with all overweight people have is consuming too much sugar.

:huh:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Please teach me how to spot folks who are short on nutrients on sight. I must learn this technique.

The argument that 'we don't need sugar. . . oh, except carbs' is seriously flawed, as sugar is a carb, and because the body breaks down foods into sugar in order to function.

What many of us don't need to do is to consume calories with no nutritional value. Because we don't have the calories to spare. For example, I would have been better off eating something with protein and calcium in it last night than have the alcohol. I was short on both of those last night. If I'd had cookies, it would have been the same problem.

And when I was fat I almost never met my RDA on most nutrients. Why? Because most of my diet was sugar, specifically soda. And doctors are seeing cases of vitamin deficiencies in obese people.

So you drank too many sodas, which put you in a caloric excess and you gained weight. Therefore the problem with all overweight people have is consuming too much sugar.

Straw man much? I was not getting all my nutrients even though I was consuming an excess of calories because most of those calories were sugar, specifically soda. Which has zero nutritional value.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're particularly overweight and/or unhealthy, then you may want to be a little careful with your sugar intake.
    Fibre in fruit is one way to blunt blood sugar spikes. Another is to eat your sugar with some fat and/or protein, as most people probably will.
    Fructose, commonly associated with fruit, is more likely to be 'turned in to fat' than commonly used 'processed' sugars, which are more likely to be used to replenish muscle glycogen.

But regardless of all that, CICO and getting yourself to a good weight/level of fitness are likely to make a much difference than worrying about sugar.
  • athenanehta
    Options
    If you're not losing and are perpetually under your calorie goal, it might be worth bumping up your calorie intake for a week or so- providing your body with extra energy can be really effective at busting plateaus!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    i have fruit about three times a day . my sugar cravings dropped a lot when i stopped eating stuff like cookies , candy , ice cream ect .. took a while because out of habit i was used to having it .. but learned to enjoy fruit .. its like having a dessert but healthier .. sometimes i take blueberries and drizzle melted raw honey on it ... mmmmm mmmm good
    What you call a bad habit, I call eating the things I love and enjoying life.

^
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Straw man much? I was not getting all my nutrients even though I was consuming an excess of calories because most of those calories were sugar, specifically soda. Which has zero nutritional value.

You don't know the meaning of the phrase 'strawman argument' if you think that is what I was doing. I was pointing out the logical fallacy of the argument: 'this is what I was doing wrong and what led to me being overweight and (presumably) nutritionally deficient, therefore it is what EVERYONE who is overweight is doing wrong.'

Sugar has nutritional value btw. It contributes to our carbohydrate needs. So does alcohol, and it also has health benefits as long as it is consumed with moderation.

Moderation is a word you need to add to your vocabulary list. :wink:
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    While the sugar in fruit will react with your body the same way it would from another source, you are getting a lot of good things out of fruit as well such as vitamins, minerals and fiber. Fruit is "good" in the sense that it is not empty calories the way a few cookies might be. Enjoying those cookies from time to time is perfectly fine, the way one might enjoy a good glass of wine or a cocktail.

The problem nutritionally is when you replace the healthier alternatives that have nutritional value, such as fruit, every day with cookies. Basically if you'd rather get your sugar fix than all the vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy, you have a problem with food. The reason there are so many obese people right now is because people actually believe that fattening food = happiness and love.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Y'all need to go on a quote diet. Moderation is the key.