I need more creatuve ways to eat vegetables.

Options
I use to think I loved eating vegetables. I'm not saying I hate them now, but after having to eat 2 cups of them a day our relationship has lost its flavor. I find I can eat cooked via steaming or blanching veggies without adding oil or butter, but I absolutely can not eat them raw without ranch! I can only stomach about 1 cup of cooked vegetables a day. I need advice on how-to sneak another cup of veggies in my day. I do drink a Isogenix protein shake at breakfast as my supplement meal. Maybe I could sneak them into there, but it would HAVE to taste good! Help! I need these nutrients!

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    "Veggies" doesn't really tell us what you've been eating. I'm partial to snap peas and cherry tomatoes raw for a daily snack. But I also like my root veggies roasted in the winter. Broccoli or asparagus with a little hollandais, an avocado with a tin of yellow fin tuna on the side - a salad of grated raw beets and carrots with a vinaigrette........on and on and on.......
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No help for you, really. Just feeling your pain. There are only so many things you can do to a green bean and keep it healthy.

I mix my veggies with everything. If it's not good, I don't do it again, but I'll try anything once.

Mrs. Dash has many different flavors, so that lends a new flavor. Onion, if you like it. Garlic. Anything with flavor - add it.

Sometimes I get very tired of eating, lol. :)
  • ThomasGinter
    ThomasGinter Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love to eat veggies in my breakfast eggs such as spinach and zucchini. I also add a couple of cups of kale to my fruit shake in the morning though I have a great blender (ninja) otherwise I would have to chew my shake. Other than that I would say you try new vegetables you haven't had before and decide which ones you really like. Adding a bit of butter or olive oil to make them taste better won't kill most diets. Overall if you are eating in a way that you hate you won't stick to it and your old habits will come back to haunt you. Keep searching online for recipes to try until you find a way to eat healthy and still enjoy what your eating.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of roasting my veggies. I love most vegetables roasted with olive oil and whatever seasonings I happen to want at the time. I also love tossing my veggies in balsamic vinegar and roasting them to give them a sweet and tangy taste. If I only boiled or steamed I wouldn't eat them very much. Now give me a crisp chopped salad any day!!
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There aren't many vegetables I can eat raw. More often than not, I use my rice cooker/steamer to steam my veggies. Take sweet potatoes: I'm not a fan of just eating sweet potatoes. But with a tsp of milk and a dab of butter substitute, I will use my mixer to make mashed sweet potatoes, and I basically have enough for 3 days. I steam corn on the cob and it doesn't even need butter. If I don't have enough fresh, I'll either steam in the steamer or use steam in the bag vegetables. I have to just make myself eat it, but the way I make it, there is more flavor on its own.
  • DLKadlecek
    DLKadlecek Posts: 11
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie a day restriction. Root vegetables are cosidered starches and NO WAY can I do hollandaise. I do add avocado into my turkey wraps, but I really don't like other raw veggies without dip.
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well- do you add vegetables into meals or just eat them on their own? What vegetables do you like? There's literally dozens of them! For instance today I've eaten courgette, onion, garlic, tomato, peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, spinach, (mushrooms), jalapenos, lettuce, cucumber, olives and gerkins. Half were part of a pasta dish, half part of a sandwich (with the spinach as part of a side salad).
  • DLKadlecek
    DLKadlecek Posts: 11
    Options
    Yumm. Roasted is a good suggestion.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I steam them in the ziploc steam bags and I add some McCormick Vegetable seasoning
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    Yumm. Roasted is a good suggestion.

I am big fan of roasting or grilled vegetables. You will need to add a little oil, but you can minimize the amount with a sprayer. I normally roast at 200C fan assisted. For asparagus, green beans, sugar snaps or snow peas you only need 10-12 minutes. For broccoli, cauliflower or carrotsj around 25-35 minutes.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Roasting and grilling are definitely the way to go!

Both techniques bring out the sweetness and GOOD flavors, while decreasing the bitterness.
    Okra is my favorite, but almost anything can be done by putting olive oil, soy or rice vinegar, seasonings (I use a lot of onion powder, cumin, garlic, etc.), herbs, mustard - ideas are endless - in a ziploc bag and shaking the veggies around.

Dump 'em on a jelly roll pan and roast at 375 for anywhere from 15 - 45 mins (depending on what you're making).
    Squash is especially good like this, too... and eggplant.

Also, edamame pods steamed are lovely to pop the little beans in your mouth...or toss them in a little sea salt. They have a really good flavor that doesn't need butter, etc. added.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i agree that grilling can do very nice things for the flavors.

rather than different cooking styles, i like galeo's ginger wasabe dressing on my veggies, or fage 0% greek yogurt with tons of pepper, dill and a tsp of newman's own light italian. these things work well with my 1200 net calories per day and make veggies like broccoli taste great.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are wonderful - you can use many spices and seasonings to spice them up. You can roast Okra, fresh Green Beans, Squash, Asparagus, Peppers, etc. I always put minced garlic to season them before roasting.

Broccoli with sugar free raspberry vinaigrette is very tasty - add nuts to get a little extra protein. You can even cook the broccoli in the microwave for 1 minutes to make it easier on the stomach.

Fresh cucumbers - cam mix with vinegar, salt and pepper for seasoning.
  • touslesmemes
    Options
    u could make the dip out of veges :) like roasted capsicum and spices? u can make ur own recipes or just google some simple vege dips to make.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Grilled Eggplant is delish!

Slice an eggplant into 1 inch slices, skin on (either eat the skin or remove it after its cooked)

Spray grill very lightly

Grill eggplant a few minutes on each side.

Yum and the leftovers are yummy too!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was there, now I've done something that I am hooked on. Like another commenter I add spinach and kale my eggs and smoothies. Like another one, I roast peppers and celery, on the bbq grill. but this is what I'm hooked on. I rub my cauliflower and broccoli spears in olive oil, sprinkle on mrs dash and just the slightest andy's fish or chicken coating and crisp them up in a skillet or the george forman. then i sprinkle with hot sauce. on saturday, i add blue cheese dressing as an extra treat. i got tired of soggy boiled veggies too. now i just limit it to what i like instead of trying to eat crap to be healthy
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If their regular form isn't doing it for you at the moment, my favorite trick is to roast a big tray of them in the oven. Then puree them into a soup by adding some low sodium veg stock or just water. You can add beans or meat or noodles or whatever you want to the soup.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    u could make the dip out of veges :) like roasted capsicum and spices? u can make ur own recipes or just google some simple vege dips to make.

That's what I'm going to do tomorrow! :) I am going to try making a mock Trader Joe's eggplant and roasted red pepper spread/dip.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just eat them.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Kabobs are a great way to grill veggies, just brush some balsamic vinegar over them and grill.

Another idea since you like ranch with some raw veggies is to use plain greek yogurt with Mrs dash flavors which will add protein and cut some sodium for the day not to mention the flavor options.

I also bake sweet potatoes and top them with pulled pork and corn, good with or without cheese.

Grilled Portobello mushrooms are fantastic as a burger and you can top with spring mix, tomatoes, onions and whatever else you can think of.

Broccoli steamed with lemon is also very good.

Another favorite of mine is to create stir fries, just toss a bunch of veggies and meat in a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray use citrus fruit juice, coconut oil, balsamic vinegar as a way to add flavor.

Use your imagination, sometimes the best finds were accidental.
    Good luck!