Spaghetti Squash

Options
chrissyrenee1029
chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
I'm giving spaghetti squash another shot. Honestly, I got frustrated trying to cut the darn thing open last time and literally threw it out the back door, lol. So recipes, along with your tips for getting inside to the good stuff would be awesome!

Replies

• Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later... My wife planted one in our garden again this year, the first time was a disaster. Hopefully you get some good ideas cause' I'm going to need some later in the year :smile:
  • terra32907
    terra32907 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the secret to how to cut one LOL. We (meaning my man) cut it long wise using a sharp butcher knife. It appears it takes some serious arm muscle as I just cant seem to get it opened myself. Once he has cut it open, I scrape the seeds out and put the halves on a cookie sheet. I sprinkle some salt and pepper on the insides and bake it for about an hour at 375 degrees. You can test it to see if its done but sticking a fork in it. Once I take it out of the oven I scrape the insides out of the shell with a fork and put it in a bowl with a tiny bit of butter and some fresh parsley. I love it just that way but its also good used in place of spaghetti. Sometimes I make turkey sloppy joes (Skinnytaste.com) and serve it on the spaghetti squash. DELISH!

So jealous that you all can grow squash! It's too wet here in Florida and the plants tend to get mildew and then die :-(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do the same as Terra. It's a real pain though. Typically I use it like I would use spaghetti.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't try cutting it apart while it's raw. Simple as that. You can stab it deeply in 4 or 5 places with a large knife (so it doesn't blow up) and pop it in your microwave for 15 minutes then check it. Once it is partially cooked you can easily cut it open & scrape out the seeds, then bake it if you wish, or just microwave til done and scrape the strands out and dress 'em up according to whatever you like.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It tastes good the next day after marinating in a bit of Greek Salad dressing. We do the spaghetti sauce thing too. And it's good with a Thai coconut curry gravy on it.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    To make it easier to open, you stab it a few times, and microwave it for 5 minutes, and let it sit in there and cool down for another 10. Then slice lengthwise with a serrated blade.

You can bake it again at this point or if you like it a little firm (I do) just scrape out the strings with a fork.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    As canadjineh suggested.
    Don't try cutting it apart while it's raw. Simple as that. You can stab it deeply in 4 or 5 places with a large knife (so it doesn't blow up) and pop it in your microwave for 15 minutes then check it....

We usually cut a triangle shaped piece out of a side to give a good vent. We let it go about 5 - 8 minutes in the microwave, depending on the size of the squash, let cool enough to handle, cut it, remove the seeds. Add a bit of water to the cavity in each half, cover with microwavable wrap and let it steam the rest of the way.

We usually do it with marinara as suggested, but it is also good just as a vegetable with a touch of olive oil and seasonings.
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Don't try cutting it apart while it's raw. Simple as that. You can stab it deeply in 4 or 5 places with a large knife (so it doesn't blow up) and pop it in your microwave for 15 minutes then check it. Once it is partially cooked you can easily cut it open & scrape out the seeds, then bake it if you wish, or just microwave til done and scrape the strands out and dress 'em up according to whatever you like.

The pain I have gone through with the damn things and I never even thought about this! Der! Thank you ????
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ok I wish I had of known about the microwave trick. I will try it next time since it makes sense.

As far as recipes go I just substitute my pasta noodles for spaghetti squash. The other day I made lasagna and meat sauce the way I normally do but I substituted the noodles for spaghetti squash and hamburger for chicken. I discovered that I actually like it more that way then with the noodles.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

This! I've always roasted the whole thing before cutting it so it hasn't been a problem!

I eat it with pesto and pancetta, pork&(lite) sun-dried tomato alfredo, and with thai lime peanut sauce and chicken.

Spaghetti squash (or any squash really) and spiral-cut veggie "noodles" can be real calorie savers.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i made a cold spagetti squash salad with feta cheese , tomatoes , orange bell pepper , onion, cut up spinach leaves and italian seasoning, baslamic vinegar and olive oil ..salt and pepper to taste ..loved it
  • veggieluvr45
    veggieluvr45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i made a cold spagetti squash salad with feta cheese , tomatoes , orange bell pepper , onion, cut up spinach leaves and italian seasoning, baslamic vinegar and olive oil ..salt and pepper to taste ..loved it

That sounds delicious!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I never considered microwaving it!

I just cut it in half, scrap seeds, cover in olive oil, salt, pepper, bake for like 45 minutes.

I will have to try the microwave!
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips and recipes :) I'm going to give it a try when I'm on vaca next week!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I always bake the whole thing and then cut it open after cooking. MUCH easier.
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if you could just boil it whole...
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    haha I almost cut my hand off one time trying to cut a raw spaghetti squash down the middle - gahhh never again!

I've learned now, haha, poke a few holes and microwave it first, then I cut an end off so that it can stand up straight and then it's easier to slice in half! Easy peasy and hand friendly!
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

This is the best spaghetti squash recipe I have used. I eat it once a month and have for dinner and lunch the next day.. love it!
  • Roxmom66
    Roxmom66 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have used www.skinnytaste.com for recipes. There is a really yummy casserole with parmesan cheese (even my family like that one). I also use it instead of pasta, with ground turkey meat and veggies pasta sauce. There is some quite yummy recipes.