Running tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I get it. You're saying 8 min/mi flat. You're roughly running 3:30-3:45 per .3-5 miles and walking at least 30-45 seconds in between? Right? If so that's pretty good coming from the pace you were at. Good job! Keep it up. Just keep running faster and longer. Shortening the walking gap. That's what I'm doing. I set faster goals every run even if its by 1-5 seconds. What helps me is Runtastic and making custom intervals. You'll find you'll be setting your walk intervals less and spending more time running. :)

This makes sense. I started with intervals, and as I progressed, I lengthened the running intervals and shortened the walking. Eventually I was just running. Congrats OP!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    First step: run 1 miles non stop. Slooooowwwwwww! I don't care about the speed.
    Second step: run 2 miles non stop. Slooooowwwwwww! I don't care about the speed.
    Third step: run 3 miles non stop. Slooooowwwwwww! I don't care about the speed.

Then search: how to improve 5K time. Plenty of results will come up. Read. Apply the new tricks you will learn.

Voilà!!!! You now can run 5K faster!

(That's a better plan than run 0.3 miles all out and wanting to die / improve your time at the same time. Unless you wanna join a sprinting team. Then I have no advices. )

Exactly this. You get faster by running more, not by running faster. Running more improves stroke volume, builds cappilaries etc so you can run faster
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I get it. You're saying 8 min/mi flat. You're roughly running 3:30-3:45 per .5 miles and walking at least 30-45 seconds? Right? If so that's pretty good coming from the pace you were at. Good job! Keep it up. Just keep running faster and longer. Shortening the walking gap. That's what I'm doing. I set faster goals every run even if its by 1-5 seconds. What helps me is Runtastic and making custom intervals. You'll find you'll be setting your walk intervals less and spending more time running. :)

Yes this is exactly what I mean! I set goals for myself while running, such as run to that stop sign then catch your breath.

When I started running, I was doing it to be able to pass a fitness test, to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes, which is an 8minute mile. Your approach was how I went about it. Years later, after another return to running and with a lot more experience under my belt, I strongly suggest not doing it that way. Will it work? Probably, but it is certainly not the most efficient way and much more likely to cause injury.
    Forget about pacing at the moment. SLOW DOWN! Endurance, then speed. You don't have to do C25k, you can do your own version of intervals, but don't push for speed yet.

This is a really great thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sorry if what I said was confusing. I can run the 8 minute mile. I was just saying in reply that even though I run for 0.3 miles straight and then slow to a walk I can still run the mile in 8 minutes.

So you do not run continuously for 8 minutes?

My first running tip then would be to run continuously.
    I can't my lungs start to burn haha.

That's your body telling you to slow down. Perhaps you should master the 11-12 continuous minute mile before you break yourself doing what is essentially unfocused speedwork.
  • docklanders
    Options
    Relax, and go slower. Too many people think that the quicker they run the faster they'll improve.. I disagree. It's all about pacing and gradually going further each time.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    P.S. You're not running, you're sprinting. Learn to run first, then you can see about the sprinting, unless you have free health care as some of those overuse injuries are expensive!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If your lungs are burning, you're going too fast, IMO. You need to work on your stamina - run for x amount of time, walk for x amount of time, slowly making the running longer and the walking shorter, until you can run a full mile without wanting to die (I'm not there yet, either). Then you can work on running longer or faster - you choose. I'm going for distance, personally. I'm never going to be a fast runner, and that's okay. I'm sure you can do both, it's just not something I'd do at the same time.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Well, given your pace and recovery bits the answer is obvious: start training to reduce the "walking" parts. That will make you faster consistently until you can actually run the mile full on.

So, if you now do one lap, walk 30 s, and repeat do one lap and walk only 20 s. Next week, only 15 s. And so on. That's how you get people from the couch to doing 5, 10, half and full marathons. But you need to measure these things (recovery intervals) and shorten them.

Also, maybe your "running" pace is too hard. I can easily run a mile in <6 minutes. But I couldn't do a track lap (1/4 mile) in one minute and then do 3 more to do a 4 minute mile. Just unsustainable for my ability. But I can do 1:15 laps sustainably.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Sorry if what I said was confusing. I can run the 8 minute mile. I was just saying in reply that even though I run for 0.3 miles straight and then slow to a walk I can still run the mile in 8 minutes.

That would be because you're running too fast.

As upthread, concentrate on being able to run continuously without walk breaks. Once you can run for 3 miles (5km) continuously then you can start thinking about speed. In fact I'd generally suggest 6 miles (10km) before speed work is going to have any discernible effect.

Speed comes from having the capacity to do distance, not the other way round.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Listen to SonicDeathMonkey.

I'm not going to say you're doing it wrong, but you could be doing it a lot better. Your choice.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Smear peanut butter on your face.