Still hungry at the end of the day...ideas?

Options
So what do YOU do when its the end of the day, and you are still hungry? Obviously, this is after eating all your calories. This doesn't happen to me all the time, but every now and then it does. Honestly when it does, I don't want to "starve" myself (not really starve, but you know what I mean) so I just eat something very low calorie and it always fills me up.

I'm curious as to what everyone else does. Do you eat something light? Do you go out for a little run? Drink water? Also wanted to add, I'm not really needing lots of help, because its such a rare occurrence and isn't affecting my weight greatly. I'm just curious.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat. But I'm always under the calories and never have a problem with going over.

Cn you save up more? Maybe eat less during the day so that you can have some left over for your snack?
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'll go over by a little. Have something small like a yogurt or some fruit.
  • hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have soda water or once in a while a diet soda. It fills me up calorie free.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    If I am still hungry and reach my calories I eat raw veggies with some FF Sourcream ranch dip :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I always drink water first, if I was still hungry (pretty much never), then I'd eat something.

In the long run, your deficit day to day doesn't matter nearly as much as your deficit for the week. Meaning if you came under your goals for five days, and had one day you went over for a bit, it's not freak-out worthy. In fact, many people track calories for the week instead of the day.
  • GoForLew
    GoForLew Posts: 22
    Options
    I drink a glass of water to see if that helps, because sometimes I'm just thirsty and that's how my body tells me. Other times I will have tea to help make me feel full.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Depends how hungry. Slightly hungry? Just go to sleep, you won't notice once your head hits the pillow. Very hungry? Veggie snack (I especially like pickles or kimchi), or fruit with tea. Sometimes if I haven't had a dessert, I'll eat very dark chocolate (85%). Its only ~100 calories for a couple squares and its very satisfying.
  • fryebootgirl
    fryebootgirl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I will drink some water. If that doesn't do the job, I will eat something small, around 200 calories and higher in protein/fat. If it puts me over my calories for the day, I will add those calories to the next day. Not ideal, but keeps me on track.
  • back2twentyfive
    back2twentyfive Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry at the end of the day, I eat 1-2 cups mixed greens, preferably crunchy greens like Italian salad, which is half romaine and half red cabbage. It 's very low calorie and makes me feel full. :happy:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i schedule my food every day so i have a bowl of cereal right before bed every night and stay under. but i like the idea of crunchy red cabbage, too!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry at the end of the day, I eat 1-2 cups mixed greens, preferably crunchy greens like Italian salad, which is half romaine and half red cabbage. It 's very low calorie and makes me feel full. :happy:

Great Idea. Sometimes if I'm hungry I tell myself I can go have a salad and I'm like...nah. lol, its how I know I'm not actually hungry. Then I just go to bed.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day, including snacks, and leave about 100-150 calories just in case I'm legitimately hungry outside of my planned food. :)
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really haven't had this problem too much since starting a diet higher in fat, but when it does occur I first try drinking a hot cup of decaffeinated tea as the warm water usually fills me up. In the event that tea does not work, I'll have a small snack high in fat/protein like a piece of cheese and a few almonds. Keep up the great work, and continue listening to the signals your body gives you!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So what do YOU do when its the end of the day, and you are still hungry?
    I eat something.

How about you bro?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Pretty much never happens to me as I have about 50% of my daily cals between about 7pm and bed time. I do this on purpose as I sleep best with a full tummy :smile:
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    ice cream
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I drink water and if I am still hungry then I eat. This is a good reason to balance your calories by the week instead of the day because it gives you more flexibility. Other options are to save or earn some extra calories ahead of time or eat more protein and fiber during the day. You'll feel full and have calories left for a nightly snack.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I save more calories for the last 5-ish hours of my day. I'll have a filling dinner and even dessert and that helps a LOT with the before-bed hunger problems I've had from time to time.

But to answer your question directly, if I'm just a tad hungry I will just drink coffee (or diet soda if we have it) and ignore it. If my stomach is growling like crazy then I feel ok about going over 100 calories or so to try to satiate myself. I have to be very careful though, because I could easily slip into binge mode if I feel crappy about going over my calories. It's a mental game at this point still, lol.
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I drink a herbal tea or some water, but the herbal tea works for me 100% of the time
  • emkitten
    emkitten Posts: 2
    Options
    Eat a protein rich dinner and if you are already doing that, try eating a bit later, or re-proportion your calories so that your evening meal is your largest of the day. New nutritional advice indicates that it is best to eat the vast majority of our calories in the evening since it mimics the natural eating patterns of our species.