Help with new stove!!!

ambercole
ambercole Posts: 426
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I guess that this is kind on topic since the stove is where I cook my meals. I am wanting to purchase a new stove and am having trouble deciding what to get. unfortunately it has to be electric since I have no gas running to my kitchen. aparently the only choices are either a stove with those god awful looking coil burners that look so out dated ( which is what I have now) or a glass/ceramic top stove which looks alot nicer. The problem is that everyone that I talk to says "whatever you do, don't get a glass/ceramic top stove cause they get scratched up and look like crap soon after buying it!!!" Are those really the only options? Old out dated coil burners or a flat top that will inevitably get scratched and marred up? UGHHHH!!!!!!!!! I wish I could have a gas stove. Opinions needed, PLEASE!!!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    If I had to buy a new electric stove, I would get one of those with a flat cook-top. My brother has one, and they clean up SO well! I love it! Mine is gas, so they aren't available.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    I have a glass top one, and I love it. it's not scratched at all, and I've had it for 2 years. Stuff sometimes gets burned on, but I just take a flat razor blade thing (whatever that's called) hold it flat against the surface and clean it off. It's simple :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    My cooker is a glass/ceramic top. I have it about 5 or 6 years and it has never scratched (in fact, I've never heard of them scratching). They are also a lot easier to clean than the older coil types. I always recommend the glass/ceramic type.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    If I could have a new stove, I would buy one with the flat top. I have an electric one with the coil burners. I rent this house, so the stove belongs to the landlord, and it's a great stove, but it can be a pain to clean. I say get the flat top, and treat it nicely and I'm sure it will serve you well. I imagine that people whose stoves are scratched up may not have been treated as nicely as they could have been.
  • Do any of you that use a flat top cook with cast iron pans? I have a couple of great ones but am afraid that they might be too "harsh" for the flat tops.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    I have a glass top stove, love it!!! Mine is scratched because I allowed my mother to come live with me for a few months and over the course of the 5 years she was here, I couldn't get her to stop dumping her keys, purse, chainsaw and everything else heavy and metal she owned on my gorgeous new stove.

So if you get the glass top stove, rent your mom a room elsewhere.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    I too, hava a glass top, I have had it for 4 years this month. It is not scratched or anything. I would have preferred gas too, but not my luck in this house...anyway, the only problem I have with it is how long the surface stays warm.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Do any of you that use a flat top cook with cast iron pans? I have a couple of great ones but am afraid that they might be too "harsh" for the flat tops.

No problem there, just get in the habit of wiping the stove off before you cook so there aren't little bits of stuff to grind in.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,760 Member
    I've had a glass top stove for almost a year and it's not scratched. I love it!!!!!
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    We recently moved & I had to go from a gas stove to electric & I opted to by the flat-top stove. I miss my gas stove, but compared to the coil type (which I grew up with), the clean up of the flat-top is much easier. A word of caution regarding cast iron, though...I read a lot of reviews before deciding to purchase this type of stove & everything I read said NOT to use cast iron as it can get hot enought to melt the glass top. Not sure how true it is, but I just avoid cast iron in case.
This discussion has been closed.