Starting anew on MFP, how do you quit night time snacking?

Options
2»

Replies

• voitdancer
    voitdancer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone and thank you. I definitely need to not buy the trigger foods and stay out of the kitchen. Mention was also made about going to bed earlier which is another great idea! I do great all day and then bomb out at night. Will definitely rethink my choice of snack and how to work it in my calorie budget if I feel I want a snack. Much to think on in this discussion, I get bored too easily and I eat when stressed, I have work to do here and again thank you all for your thoughts! Have a great 4th Holiday weekend!
  • micinoh
    micinoh Posts: 8
    Options
    Two things seem to be helping me.
    1. I do all the shopping so I am buying low cal snacks and things I like instead of only buying for my guys and husband.

2. Read! I go to bed early with my husband and read since I stay up later. Reading takes my mind from snacking. Watching tv makes me want to eat but reading puts my mind in another world.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You should get red "DANGER" tape and put that over the door to your kitchen after dinner every night hehe.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If I'm relatively tired I go to bed early and as someone else said read for a while if I'm not ready to sleep. If I'm full of energy and don't feel like bed I go for a late evening walk, no snacking AND some extra exercise! Not sure that one will work in winter/bad weather but at the moment it's great.
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    I always snack at night - I make sure to leave cals for that, knowing that is just how I am. My tummy would be growling and Id be grumpy :) Good luck.
  • mimmish
    mimmish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the late night snacking is as much about comfort as the food, so perhaps you could find a very very low calorie snack food that takes a lot of chewing, like celery? Sounds pretty harsh to substitute celery for wine, but it might be fun to tell yourself you can eat as much celery as you want.
    I quit drinking altogether. It gets easier with time.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    its an awful time for me ..i dread evenings because thats where i tend to goof up most the time.. now im working out and working so much and eating healthy meals all day that i just want to go to bed and not sit up and eat ..im getting to that point where i eat my meals because its necessary .. i like the food i make but just not so hungry anymore because my body is getting fed right
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Nighttime snacking is my kryptonite as well, sadly/

I STARE at my fitness tracker and say "I can win!"
    And I try drinking lots of water.

My go-to is a 60 calorie popsicle if I really need something.
  • AshLEE52112
    Options
    I know, i am the exact same way. I have all these cravings when its abut time for sleep, right b4 my night workout. i run in the a.m. walk the dogs multiple times a day, then life weights at night. however i am never hungry in the day time, only at night. and the worst part is, that i only crave carbs. so i bought this carb suppress pill and it works, but im still craving at night and not hungry in the day time. i have a history of eating problems so i constantly have to remind myself to eat, eat eat so my body doesnt go into starvation mode. but the night time cravings are a bust. i need advice with that too! please and thanku everyone...ps and when i do snack, its always healthy like carrots and celery and daves killer bread lol.
  • voitdancer
    Options
    Two things seem to be helping me.
    1. I do all the shopping so I am buying low cal snacks and things I like instead of only buying for my guys and husband.

2. Read! I go to bed early with my husband and read since I stay up later. Reading takes my mind from snacking. Watching tv makes me want to eat but reading puts my mind in another world.

Great tips micinoh! Thanks.
  • voitdancer
    Options
    I know, i am the exact same way. I have all these cravings when its abut time for sleep, right b4 my night workout. i run in the a.m. walk the dogs multiple times a day, then life weights at night. however i am never hungry in the day time, only at night. and the worst part is, that i only crave carbs. so i bought this carb suppress pill and it works, but im still craving at night and not hungry in the day time. i have a history of eating problems so i constantly have to remind myself to eat, eat eat so my body doesnt go into starvation mode. but the night time cravings are a bust. i need advice with that too! please and thanku everyone...ps and when i do snack, its always healthy like carrots and celery and daves killer bread lol.

You at least snack healthy, I don't but need to. I think I have to read this thread every night....
  • voitdancer
    Options
    You should get red "DANGER" tape and put that over the door to your kitchen after dinner every night hehe.

LOVE THIS! My husband and 12 y.o would look at me funny :)
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking beer in January. It was just a habit! This was before I re-joined MFP. Winter months are hard for me; too dark and cold and all I think about is eating after I come home from work! Logging every day has helped me remember how much I've really consumed during the day. I try to exercise extra if I know I'm going to have the "extra" serving of frozen yogurt! I'm trying to replace mindless snacking (while watching TV) with flavored water. Small changes are what makes us successful! Good luck!
  • voitdancer
    Options
    I quit drinking beer in January. It was just a habit! This was before I re-joined MFP. Winter months are hard for me; too dark and cold and all I think about is eating after I come home from work! Logging every day has helped me remember how much I've really consumed during the day. I try to exercise extra if I know I'm going to have the "extra" serving of frozen yogurt! I'm trying to replace mindless snacking (while watching TV) with flavored water. Small changes are what makes us successful! Good luck!

Congrats on your weight loss! I am now sipping on my last glass of wine, it has to be. Love the stuff but it leads to snacking for me. I know what you mean about cold weather and such, I live in Tonawanda, NY and in the winter it's dark by 5pm, ugh! I want to be outside all the time! My biggest problem too I just realized is putting the TV on at night for "company" as my husband works a 2nd shift. Need to get over that. Happy 4th!
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Get an Open/Closed sign for your kitchen/fridge/cupboard. When you turn it to CLOSED after meeting your calorie goal then it sparks a mental thought process that keeps you aware of your night time snacking.

Personally. I wait as long as I can in the day to start eating. Most of the time, it works out pretty well. Good luck.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th to you as well! I like wine even more, but am determined to stay away from all alcohol! All it does it make me forget how much I'm eating and just generally not feel as well as I know I should. I'll have a beer or wine maybe every few months if visiting with family but made myself break the habit of always adding it to my shopping list. Best of wishes to you! Feel free to "friend" me if you like!