Yet another 30DS post + calorie intake question

Options
:drinker: Hi! This is my first post here. I apologize in advance for all my rambling... this is probably going to be long.

My current stats are:

weight: 169.5
height: 5'0"

As you can see, I'm what it's considered clinically obese. I know. It wasn't until I got my acceptance letter into my dream college that I found motivation into losing weight. Not even the doctor telling me I should lose the weight because I also have PCOS would do the "trick". But whatever works right?

Anyway, I went to a nutritionist who taught me how to eat (eating every two hours balancing protein, veggies, fruit, carbs, etc) but as of three weeks ago I started taking MFP seriously to keep track of my calories (been using it on and off for years). I had to stop seeing my nutritionist because my insurance won't cover it anymore though.

So the first week using MFP I was feeling like I was about to faint, following the 2 hour meals and eating 1,200 calories, the hunger would wake me up in the middle of the night. I was using some old measuring cups and spoons that had the labels washed off. So turns out I was just eating the portions completely wrong, I was eating 1/4 cup instead of 1 cup or 1tbs instead of 1tbsp ha!

By the second week I got me some new cups and spoons and since eating the portions right somethign happened, I'm not only losing weight (I went from 177 to 169.5 in three weeks-ish with some cheat meals even) but I am actually having a hard time to even REACH the 1,200 calorie goal. I feel fine and eating lots of things throughout the day, lots of veggies and lean protein, and a nice amount of carbs (usually barely under the limit) but still won't reach the calorie limit. Most days I end up in 850-1000, sometimes I go over by few.

During spring I had a kickboxing class but didn't really see results because I was eating lots of crap but I felt a change in strength to be honest. So now I decided to start 30 Day Shred, I'm on day 3 and yes I'm sore but I'm feeling great. The kickboxing classes def helped a lot since I'm starting L1 of the shred with 5lb weights. They're heavy but not overwhelming. The 3lb ones seemed like too "easy" and I really need to slim down my arms. Also I have a retail job where I'm always on my feet and walking around.

So my question is, now that I'm doing it would it bee unhealthy to keep at the barely 1,200 daily calories? I'm not hungry, I feel great, but it might be unhealthy, at least I'm worried that it is.

also are rest days necessary? would I get better results if I don't rest? So far I don't see need for it.

and last, it's probably a dumb question but does it matter if I don't do the shred every day at the same time? I always get different shift times at my retail job but I try to squeeze the workout in my day depending if I have either an opening or closing shift.

Again sorry for this long post :(

Replies

• Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The first thing people are going to do is ask you to open your diary. There will also be a lot of people who will tell you that you need to eat more. If you plan on sticking to the below 1200 calories, you will want to eat back your exercise calories. Try adding nutrient/caloric dense foods to your menu. Avocados, olive oil, and nuts are the first to come to mind.

Most people take rest days to allow their body's time to heal and their muscles to re-coop after very strenuous workouts. I think 30 DS is intended to be done on a daily basis though. You can work out any time of the day, depending on your schedule. Although, if you work out closer to bed time, you may have a harder time falling asleep. At least I do.

EDIT: Apparently, I can't spell.
  • enn_jay
    enn_jay Posts: 16
    Options
    Sorry I thought my diary was open! It is now thought

I do eat peanut butter and avocado, not daily but several times a week :/

Maybe with the excersise I will get hungrier?

For example yesterday not only did I do the shred, i also had an 8 hour retail and still cpuld barely eat 900 calories
  • enn_jay
    Options
    bump
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I went to a nutritionist who taught me how to eat (eating every two hours balancing protein, veggies, fruit, carbs, etc) but as of three weeks ago I started taking MFP seriously to keep track of my calories (been using it on and off for years). I had to stop seeing my nutritionist because my insurance won't cover it anymore though.

Actually, meal timing is irrelevant. If eating every two hours works for you, that's fine. But it isn't something that you "have" to do. Just know it is flexible.
    So the first week using MFP I was feeling like I was about to faint, following the 2 hour meals and eating 1,200 calories, the hunger would wake me up in the middle of the night. I was using some old measuring cups and spoons that had the labels washed off. So turns out I was just eating the portions completely wrong, I was eating 1/4 cup instead of 1 cup or 1tbs instead of 1tbsp ha!

By the second week I got me some new cups and spoons and since eating the portions right somethign happened, I'm not only losing weight (I went from 177 to 169.5 in three weeks-ish with some cheat meals even) but I am actually having a hard time to even REACH the 1,200 calorie goal. I feel fine and eating lots of things throughout the day, lots of veggies and lean protein, and a nice amount of carbs (usually barely under the limit) but still won't reach the calorie limit. Most days I end up in 850-1000, sometimes I go over by few.

Two things.
    1st - switch to a food scale and start weighing out your food. With cups and measuring spoons, you are probably eating more than you think.

2nd - The reason you are finding it "difficult" to reach your goal is because you've cut out a lot of the more calorie dense foods you may have eaten in the past. Start adding those back in. Eat smarter. Higher calorie foods you could add could be bread, oatmeal, olive oil, no diet type foods, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

During spring I had a kickboxing class but didn't really see results because I was eating lots of crap but I felt a change in strength to be honest. So now I decided to start 30 Day Shred, I'm on day 3 and yes I'm sore but I'm feeling great. The kickboxing classes def helped a lot since I'm starting L1 of the shred with 5lb weights. They're heavy but not overwhelming. The 3lb ones seemed like too "easy" and I really need to slim down my arms. Also I have a retail job where I'm always on my feet and walking around.

Note..there really isn't "crap". Some food is more nutritionally or calorie dense than others, but there isn't crap. If you really were eating crap, I'd advise you might need seek some medical attention. :wink:
    So my question is, now that I'm doing it would it bee unhealthy to keep at the barely 1,200 daily calories? I'm not hungry, I feel great, but it might be unhealthy, at least I'm worried that it is.

Right now, at 1200, you are probably at around a 1.5lb/week loss. You could stay at that for a bit longer if you want or change it up to 1lb.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

also are rest days necessary? would I get better results if I don't rest? So far I don't see need for it.

Yes. Rest days are absolutely necessary. If you want, you can have active rest days if you really want to do something. On active rest days you can take a walk, do some yoga..but nothing "intense".
    and last, it's probably a dumb question but does it matter if I don't do the shred every day at the same time? I always get different shift times at my retail job but I try to squeeze the workout in my day depending if I have either an opening or closing shift.

Just like meal timing, when you exercise isn't relevant. Do it when it fits best for you.

For more info and tips, check out these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214490-the-wisdom-of-trogalicious?page=1#posts-19000763

http://body-improvements.com/2013/05/24/undiet-your-diet/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Actually, meal timing is irrelevant. If eating every two hours works for you, that's fine. But it isn't something that you "have" to do. Just know it is flexible.

Two things.
    1st - switch to a food scale and start weighing out your food. With cups and measuring spoons, you are probably eating more than you think.

2nd - The reason you are finding it "difficult" to reach your goal is because you've cut out a lot of the more calorie dense foods you may have eaten in the past. Start adding those back in. Eat smarter. Higher calorie foods you could add could be bread, oatmeal, olive oil, no diet type foods, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Note..there really isn't "crap". Some food is more nutritionally or calorie dense than others, but there isn't crap. If you really were eating crap, I'd advise you might need seek some medical attention. :wink:

Right now, at 1200, you are probably at around a 1.5lb/week loss. You could stay at that for a bit longer if you want or change it up to 1lb.

Yes. Rest days are absolutely necessary. If you want, you can have active rest days if you really want to do something. On active rest days you can take a walk, do some yoga..but nothing "intense".

Just like meal timing, when you exercise isn't relevant. Do it when it fits best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214490-the-wisdom-of-trogalicious?page=1#posts-19000763

Drop-the-mic.gif
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Two things.

Drop-the-mic.gif

+2
  • enn_jay
    Options

Two things.

Holy crap thank you so much, I just saw the scale vs spoon video and my mind id BLOWN o_O

I will get the scale next week when my paycheck comes in!

Thank you so much! You've been really helpful

I changed my goals, putting in that I'm planing to work out at least 6 times a week and when from "lighty active" to "active" because even though I'm just a cashier and just stand up most of the time I think having the shred (almost) every day would make me qualify as active. Am I correct? It upped me to 1,340 calories a day.

I now I said I'm struggling with even reaching 1,200 but I'm also afraid of hitting a plateau if my body gets in "starvation mode". I will have to look into more higher calorie foods, unless having a serving of peanut butter everyday won't hurt me in the long run haha