Which scale?

kathdela
kathdela Posts: 148 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I've been using two scales this past week. The first is the one at the gym, I'm not sure what it's called, but you step on it and move the weights until it balances out. The second is my Wii fit scale.

The problem is that the gym scale says that I lost a whopping nothing. After a week and a half of exercising every day and staying under my calorie goal. The Wii scale, however, says I lost about 2-3 lbs. Which should I believe?

Replies

• happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    You cannot believe your Wii scale at all if it is on carpet. If you have it on a hard surface, I don't know which you should belive.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    whichever you use, go by one scale consistently. Did your gym scale and your Wii scale read the same amt last week? If this is the first comparison you are making, then there is no constant between the 2 to base it on. Read this week's change based on whatever scale you used to weigh initially. Then pick one, weight fresh on it, and stick to that one. Then, even if your weight itself is not completely accurate, at least the record of the change wil be.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Ditto to the above. But also make sure you are wearing the same thing when you weigh. This is why a lot of people weigh naked, because clothing can add weight that you didn't measure last time. Also, ask your gym when the last time the scale was calibrated. If it is one that is just left for anyone to use in the locker room, it may not have been calibrated recently as the staff sometimes forgets that. To make sure it is calibrated, set it to zero with nothing on it and it should balance. If it doesn't, then it isn't calibrated or accurate. :happy:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Which scale gave you your starting weight? Use that one.
  • I'd say get your own scale to use at home if you can. I use theTaylor Biggest Loser Scale (I believe it's $40) and found it works really well. I only use that scale to weigh in, don't trust other scales because they can be off.
  • I was using my wii fit to monitor my weight and was really pleased that I was in the 9 and a half stone region. The next day it shot up to 10st! I was using it on carpet so I think that might have affected it but I bought some Salter bathroom scales and have them on a hard surface.
    My actual weight was 10st (140lbs) which wasn't nice to face up to the fact I was heavier than I thought but now I know exaclty what I am and where I want to get. I'm now 137/138 lbs and those lbs are gradually coming off week by week.

I would definately get some proper bathroom scales so you're not lying to yourself. It may feel good that your wii says you've lost 3lbs but it's better to know the truth!
    good luck x
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    I think you should get your own scale and put it in your bathroom or something. I wouldn't weigh myself on different scales. Use the same one to keep track. Not all scales are accurate and not all scales read the same.
This discussion has been closed.