Hit A Massive Plateau

Options
13»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I can only go by own experience im smaller than you and have less than you to lose yet I eat more than you and im a woman 1200 calories is my opinion why this isn't working and if you really are exercising that much your running on empty feel free to add me, my advice is calculate BMR and TDEE and start eating calories halfway between these numbers and tweak if needed

When you have excessive, non-essential body fat, especially in large quantities, there is no such thing as "running on empty".

If you, and half the people in this thread talking about starvation mode, or claiming his eating too little is causing the "plateau" were correct, there would be no such thing as the millions of emaciated people currently starving to death all over the world. If not eating, and running on "empty", led to weight loss "plateaus" then where do all those pictures come from of concentration camp victims and African children looking like flesh colored skeletons? Shouldn't all these bodies have gone into starvation mode and protected them from losing body fat?

I don't know if you are referring to me or not but to be clear - there is a difference between outright starvation. I never said it would prevent weight loss, I said temporary plateau. I do agree that overall calories in, calories out rules, but there are other factors. Hormones do play a role as well. Obviously continuing over long periods with too little food will result in weight loss regardless.
    As I said, many have benefited from taking a temporary break from dieting or slightly upping calories.

FTR - I am also in the "I don't think you are burning as much as you think" crowd.

The men in the infamous Minnesota Starvation Experiment became emaciated and skeletal thin on approximately 1,500 calories a day.

And most of them were nowhere near overweight, much less obese, at the start of the experiment.

There was no plateau.

These long plateaus where people are apparently stall for months on end, while apparently still eating at a deficit, never seem to happen in clinical settings, with controlled caloric intake, only in the dieting world. Why is that?

One experiment. They had extreme calorie deficits, not exactly the same situation I am talking about.
    Most clinical studies I have seen don't seem to try to replicate the average weight loss experience.

And I never said months on end.
  • wellssnw
    wellssnw Posts: 1
    Options
    You are probably at the point where you need to increase your calorie intake a bit. Try increasing it by 2-300 calories. You could add a low-carb, low-fat 100 calorie snack in between your daytime meals and add a high protein snack like cottage cheese for desert. If you don't eat enough, your body is going to go into a reserve mode and you will no longer lose the weight like you once were, it's going to hang on for dear life to make it through your workouts. You need fuel and some rest, make sure you are getting a rest day in somewhere, you could even do a good long 30 minute stretch on your rest day if you feel guilty for not working out.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How did a doctor verify your calorie burn?
    you are not burning 2000 calories per work out. You just aren't. Stop that.
    Yes, I really am. Verified by an MD.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Yes, I really am. Verified with an MD that yes, indeed I'm burning 2000 calories.

Sorry, some people can burn more than others - just like some people can lose weight faster.

Why on earth would someone tell me not to work out that much? That makes absolutely NO sense...

Okay so your ex-military, you are or were obese and you eat 1,200 calories, and burn 2,000 calories verified by a MD. I think it is fairly rare for an MD to take time to confirm caloric burns from workout, but on average a 2,000 calorie burn is equal to 20 miles of running. At 55, and almost 260 pounds, you run 20 miles and cannot lose weight. Seems like something doesn't add up. But congrats on the weight loss; maybe take a break for a month at the caloric restriction and re-evaluate what you want to accomplish.
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the "move your calorie intake up" crowd above, but mostly just wanted to say:

1. Plateaus do end. Change up what you're doing - I moved to lifting weights differently and less cardio, and kept eating about the same, and after a 2+ month plateau my body is shifting the weight off again. I also changed my breakfast from mostly healthy carbs like oatmeal & fruit back to a protein shake a few days a week. Who knows what made it change, but it did.

2. This isn't about one solid way to do everything. This is about doing all of the fiddly work to figure out what makes *your* body work. Up the calories. Fast one day a week. Eat only protein. Eat very little protein. Drink two gallons of water. Whatever. Try different stuff out - experiment. See what works for you. Logging food & exercise here can give you a way to look back over time at what you've done. Try it, if it works apply it, if it doesn't drop it and move on.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I think you could be. I do 1300 on certain days at 100 lb less and being female. You didn't say 2000 calories per hour, it's 2000 in two hours. If the intensity of an ex-military person is up there I would imagine the 1000 calorie range is attainable. At least close to that!

Glad to see you made some sensible changes. I like what you posted about 3000 calories burned and 8000 consumed. Were you in the "feed em to gain weight" batch? The military folks had it right here, you need to fuel your workouts and overall activity properly. Not 5000 over, but at least something! :laugh:
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me. I started at 298. When I hit 180 in Dec, it stayed there until 90 days ago. I work out as a fitness instructor and trainer so I am always moviing a few hours a day. I eat 1200 - 1400 calories a day depending on how much cardio I am doing.

90 days ago, I dropped my cardio to 4 days a week instead of 7. I eat 7 meals but still maintaining 1200 to 1400 a day. I eat meals at 7 times a day. Never hungry and in 90 days, I have lost 20 lbs and gained muscle which in turn makes me look leaner.

If you are eating the right foods, it is 70% nutrition and 30 % about cardio.. Keep that in mind...
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. I have a calorie counter that is pretty accurate (verified it against 3 other calorie counters). Most people can't do that much or strenuous exercise, but I've always been able to do so. When I was in the military, I used to burn 3000 to 5000 per day - but I also took in about 8000 per day.

Exactly which calorie counter are you using? Are you wearing a heart rate monitor? Even when I go 100% full out in a spin class, and I'm about your size, the neither the power meter on the bike nor Digifit, which is talking to my heart rate monitor, will give me 1000kCal for a class. I'd be a bit skeptical.
  • jakichan
    Options

So you spent an entire workout with a breathing mask on? That's the only way to know 100% for sure, and it's not an MD who would do that. I've never found a place that offered it. VO2 MAX testing, yes. BMR testing, yes. Validating your calorie burn for an exercise session, no.

Unless you're in a study, in which case you should be discussing that with the people running the study, not us.
  • ErikaSudz
    ErikaSudz Posts: 26
    Options
    So when you did this did you then consume your exercise calories like MFP said to do? If my BMR is 1296 and my TDEE is 2111 do I eat so much food that I am showing a positive and not a deficit for the day?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    So today I went for my weekly weigh-in: lost 3 lbs from last week.

I made several significant changes: I upped my caloric intake to 1800 lbs of lean (meat) protein, better glycemic index foods, and cut my routine back to 90 minutes & 1100 calories.

It seems as though the higher calories helped move me off my plateau, luckily.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I'm glad you upped your calories. You previously quoted that you don't eat back exercise cals, so you were netting a dangerously low amount. I'm glad that eating more and reducing your workout load has helped you to feel back on track.

I'd also recommend not getting worked up about the number. They fluctuate due to water and other factors. Measurements have been a far better gauge of progress for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So when you did this did you then consume your exercise calories like MFP said to do? If my BMR is 1296 and my TDEE is 2111 do I eat so much food that I am showing a positive and not a deficit for the day?

MFP calorie goal is not TDEE. Their formula does not account for exercise which is why you log it and are told to eat them.

TDEE includes exercise in their formula. If you are following TDEE you do not eat exercise calories back since it's included.
  • hannahmeip
    Options
    I generally burn about 950 - 1000 calories in an hour at the gym - 750 calories in 40 minutes just by power walking on incline (I wear a HRM). 2000 calories in two hours is certainly not impossible. I kind of don't understand why everyone's accusing the OP of lying? Just because YOU don't burn that many calories doesn't mean someone else can.
  • jakichan
    Options
    I generally burn about 950 - 1000 calories in an hour at the gym - 750 calories in 40 minutes just by power walking on incline (I wear a HRM). 2000 calories in two hours is certainly not impossible. I kind of don't understand why everyone's accusing the OP of lying? Just because YOU don't burn that many calories doesn't mean someone else can.

Because just about every device out there to give you calories overestimates calorie burn. Even with a heart rate monitor. So, how do YOU know that you're burning 1000 calories an hour?

I've had both Digifit tell me that I burned 2000 calories in a 90 minute ride. My power meter didn't show nearly that much work done, so I know the HRM estimate was high.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Because just about every device out there to give you calories overestimates calorie burn. Even with a heart rate monitor. So, how do YOU know that you're burning 1000 calories an hour?

I've had both Digifit tell me that I burned 2000 calories in a 90 minute ride. My power meter didn't show nearly that much work done, so I know the HRM estimate was high.

Yep. I know apps aren't accurate at all, but sometimes my app will log my calories burned even while entirely stationary. Definitely know I didn't burn 7 calories standing in a parking garage looking for my keys, then walking 10 seconds to the stairs.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Honestly sounds like a case of sour grapes by some people. Remember carrying extra weight on your body, regardless of wether it is muscle or fat increases the calorie burn of many activities, especially ones where you support your body weight dramatically. Allow me to give you some stats. From an online calorie calculator for walking All of these are for a 7 mile walk completed in 2 hours. Which is what I did and still do. At various weights.

300lbs - 1233 Calories
    250lbs - 1045
    200lbs - 836
    150 lbs - 627

Now I am not saying that these numbers are completely accurate but I urge you to note the difference your weight makes. And this is simply from walking. People of a healthy weight often have trouble believing how man calories an obese person can get through in a workout. This is because often enough when someone who is very fat decides to get their life in order their weight simply does not keep up with the improvements in their cardiovascular fitness. They become able to exercise for long periods with their fat bodies and that gives them the ability to burn INANE amounts of calories. It's somewhat of a special situation. And it's one I am leaving behind more and more each day as I drop weight. It's not a sign of being healthy. But it is, I believe a sign of becoming healthy.
  • jakichan
    Options
    Honestly sounds like a case of sour grapes by some people. Remember carrying extra weight on your body, regardless of wether it is muscle or fat increases the calorie burn of many activities, especially ones where you support your body weight dramatically.

I've been fluctuating between 265 and 270 for a while. I'm still obese. And it's not sour grapes - it's trying to help people who seem to think the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to them. They're either underestimating input, or overestimating output, or both.
    This is because often enough when someone who is very fat decides to get their life in order their weight simply does not keep up with the improvements in their cardiovascular fitness. They become able to exercise for long periods with their fat bodies and that gives them the ability to burn INANE amounts of calories. It's somewhat of a special situation. And it's one I am leaving behind more and more each day as I drop weight. It's not a sign of being healthy. But it is, I believe a sign of becoming healthy.

Actually, your body adapts to such changes. Search for training effect. You actually burn less calories as time goes on.

And again, let me give you some REAL DATA. Not estimations based on online calculators. But REAL DATA.

Some cyclists use a device called a power meter. These are very expensive tools that may be build in to the crank arms, pedals, or even the wheel hub on a bicycle. It tells you how much power you're outputting in watts at a specific moment. Also from this you can get the total number of kilojoules (kJs) of work done (in the physics sense) during a ride. This is a very exact (within 2% or so, depending on the hardware) measurement of the amount of energy output by your legs into the bicycle as a machine. 1 kCal = 4.186 kJ. However, the human body is pretty inefficient. So only about 20 - 25% of the food you eat for energy ends up going into the bicycle. Because of this cyclists often use a 1:1 estimation of kJ to kCal. But either way, there's only a 5% swing in efficiency, so it's still one of the most accurate ways to measure calories burned via exercise, short of having to wear a breathing mask.

So taking this example:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/how-accurate-is-that-calorie-reading

For a given ride:

HRM: 1938 kCal
    PM: 2678 kJ
    Calc: 3648 kCal

The calculated method, with time and distance, is CRAZY high. The highest by 1000 kCal. The HRM data is low, he said, because he was getting sick that day. Possible, I suppose. But I'm pretty sure that the power meter data is accurate because it's measuring the force put on the bike.

So my experience with that makes me VERY skeptical when someone says they burned X calories at the gym, especially if it's high.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If OP's not eating her exercise calories back, it doesn't matter how many calories she's actually burning vs how many calories she's actually burning.

No doubt if you are only eating 1,200 a day and you are burning even half of what you say you are, you're not eating enough to properly fuel your body.