Protein Powders

Options
OK....I was thinking about Shakeology (I know, I know I mentioned the controversial shakeology :laugh: ) BUT I can not afford it right now. I'm looking into the possibility of trying to go the protein shake route in the mornings as opposed to poptarts which I can't seem to get away from. I usually can make them work in my calories for the day but this weekend was one of those weekends when I could have used those calories at dinner rather than breakfast. I still like to have something "sweet" for breakfast, I've never been the whole eggs & bacon kind of breakfast person. I do like the Jimmy Dean D-lites breakfast sandwiches which aren't bad in calories but when I eat those I feel like I'm missing something (maybe that's all in my head but I can't get away from it :blushing: )

My question is this......what would be the best protein powder to get that won't be gritty or give the shake a weird taste and not cost an arm and a leg? I tried a smoothie one time from Starbucks that had added protein in it or something with strawberries and banana and the taste of the whole thing was off. I had to throw it out.

What would be your suggestions? I can add fruit, yogurt and other things to my liking, I just need to know what protein powder would be best.

Replies

• twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein- 100% whey protein from Walmart. I like the chocolate and especially the vanilla creme. Its about 24 grams of protein, minimal fat and carbs and tastes great!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I use GNC 100% Whey... cheap and very tasty. I take it just before I work out, but I imagine it would make a good breakfast.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My big sister is a Naturopath and she recommended I use ISO Whey - Strawberries and cream.... YUM!!!

You can add Strawberries, yogurt, kiwi fruit (weird but tastes awesome), Any berries - fresh or frozen.... YUM!!!!
  • KPagels
    Options
    I use Be-Buff protein powder from GNC. It is designed for women, helps boost metabolism and helps your nails, hair and skin. If you get a shaker cup with the blender ball inside it is pretty good.. Not gritty. I like the chocolate kind, I mix it with a cup of milk and it tastes just like chocolate milk!
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love Nutribiotic Rice Protein Powder - it comes in Plain, Vanilla, Chocolate, or Mixed Berry, has only 55 cals per scoop, 0.5g fat and 12g protein. And its vegan.
    I buy it online at Vitacost.com and its about $13 for a big tub that last for ages.
    http://www.vitacost.com/NutriBiotic-Vegan-80-Rice-Protein-Powder

I also like Natures Way Alive Ultra-Shake pea protein powder because its got all your greens & vitamins in it.
    http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Alive-Ultra-Shake-Pea-Protein-Vanilla
  • vbjohn
    Options
    I agree with Megsta21 on the Whey Protein Type.. The Why Isolate is the most pure form of Whey Protein. That is what makes the Shakeologies good for you in the protein area. And by the way, through the end of the year, you can sign up to be a beachbody coach for free and then you get 25% off of your orders which will make the Shakeology about $3 per serving. I drink it 1-2 times a day and since July I have lost nearly 50 lbs... Anyway, if you want to learn more about the free sign ups with Beachbody goto www.tbbcoach.com and then after you are a coach then go in and order your Shakeology for that discount!!!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    WOW.....not a single repeat.....looks like I've got a lot of research to do...:laugh:

I do like the idea of the ones that help with hair and nails as I've recently been put on a medication that affects those....

Thanks all for the suggestions.....I'll gladly take more if anyone has others.
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    i buy the six star whey protein from walmart it's 17 dollars and that is exactly what I do - i drink it for breakfast. it's not bad i like the chocolate and the french vanilla. no bad after taste. it's only 150 calories. i have used them for a meal replacement as well. sometimes getting home late at night you want something and you know you should not eat heavy - they fill me up.

i drink one at 7am and then around 930 i eat some fruit or yogurt i'm good till at least 12 or 1
  • bpayne78
    Options
    i drink one at 7am and then around 930 i eat some fruit or yogurt i'm good till at least 12 or 1

That's exactly what I'm aiming for....drink a shake while taking my oldest to school (he has to be there between 7:30 and 7:45) and then eat a light snack mid morning, then a later lunch so that my 7/8 PM dinner doesn't seem so far away. I tend to overeat at dinner because I'm starved by the time we get it done due to my schedule. I work at my son's after school care from 2-6PM and it's about a 20/25 min drive home....thus the 7/8:00 dinner.

Thanks for all the responses......keep them coming! (I knew I loved this place for a reason :love: )
  • justahorsen
    Options
    Shakeology really does work. It comes out to about $4 - $5 per drink which is not a bad deal. Please feel free to go to my site for more information - myshakeology.com/JensueFerrell. Let me know if you have any questions.

I think that $4-$5 a drink is a lot of money.....
  • bpayne78
    Options
    Shakeology really does work. It comes out to about $4 - $5 per drink which is not a bad deal. Please feel free to go to my site for more information - myshakeology.com/JensueFerrell. Let me know if you have any questions.

I think that $4-$5 a drink is a lot of money.....

Yeah, me too.....that's why I'm not doing it!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

THAT’S $450 A MONTH ARE YOU CRAZY???? (eating it 3x a day that is as a meal replacement). For that cost I'd rather eat 3 foot long subway sandwiches which is ALOT of food and very satisfying (albeit more sodium than recommended)

+1 on the Walmart Body Fortress Protein powder. Chocolate tastes great especially when blended with 1/8 cup frozen raspberries. This protein powder however is higher in calories than more expensive brands (140 calories).
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    100% whey gold standard from gnc. There are tons of flavors
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've used ISO Whey myself and it's pretty good. I have the vanilla flavor, which is pretty neutral in terms of a flavor. You can pretty much add it to anything. (even items that you've baked).

If you can feel full on a protein shake at breakfast, that's great.... but shakes generally do not fill me up enough. I also love Poptarts. Is there anything out there that is similar, but healthier?

Shannon
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I've used ISO Whey myself and it's pretty good. I have the vanilla flavor, which is pretty neutral in terms of a flavor. You can pretty much add it to anything. (even items that you've baked).

If you can feel full on a protein shake at breakfast, that's great.... but shakes generally do not fill me up enough. I also love Poptarts. Is there anything out there that is similar, but healthier?

Shannon

When I was in the US on vaca I saw that Fiber One made poptarts so at least it has fiber in there.

I have a protein shake at 7:00 am and 1/2 cup of All Bran by 10:00 since I need more too.
  • tater8589
    Options
    I really like BSN Syntha 6 protien. The flavors are awesom! Oh and I haven't gotten to try it yet, but they just came out with a new desert flavor Cinnamon Roll!! Oh, now I'm hungry :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sweet, filling, healthy breakfast for fewer than 300 calories:

Whole grain toast with peanut butter
    Oat bran cereal cooked with 1 cup light vanilla soy milk (or just light soy for 10 fewer calories with 8th Continent), 1 tsp brown sugar, cinnamon and 1 T peanut butter
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    lol im using a 400 calorie protein shake xD 460 with soy milk so yah but they do have leaner protein just depends what your looking for im using 2 scoops if i used 4 it would come to almost 1000 but thats for people bodybuilding and on steroids..
  • lefrance12
    Options
    I was using six star and changed to a supposedly better brand of whey protein and found that it had too much cholesterol in it. Make sure you look at those labels on the back.:glasses: