What brought you to MFP?

Options
AprilVal
AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
What brought you to MFP?

For me, I came to lose the weight Ive gained since my daddy passed away in 2005. Since then I have gained weight and have done alot of bad to my body (health wise). Here I am trying to get back down to 250, im slowly getting there. Im hoping while working on my weight loss I can finally get pregnant.. I want a baby more than anything but Ive had such a hard time getting pregnant. I really hope it happens. Along with that Im going to remain eating healthy, and working out as much as I can without hurting myself or the baby.. :)

What benefits have you had from MFP thus far?

I have met some GREAT GREAT GREAT ladies! I couldn't ask for more. :) Along with a group/challenge I started in August. We just started a new challenge 3 weeks ago and its going well. Im proud of what has come of it. I try to give alot, and Ive been given alot in return. I love it!! :) I love having people who truly know and care about the struggles of losing weight. :)

Replies

• BughaBear
    Options
    What brought me to MFP is that I want to lose some wt I already have my family and hubby is in Afghanistan right now so I want to feel great when he comes home and be a new healthier woman. I love myself but at time I look in the mirror and now my body can look a little better and be healthier. Before I moved here I went to the gym all the time and did lose about 20lbs but with the move and stuff I lost my motivation. I found this place and am lovin it, the countin of the calories and stuff like that and the friendly people with encouragin words!!
  • holymolar
    Options
    What brought me to MFP?

Well I downloaded to the app on my phone in early October, simply to see how many calories I ate. But it wasn't until this past week when I felt like it was finally time to start REALLY using MFP for what it was intended for.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    On a trip to LV in the early 90's, I had no problem fitting into the airline seat. On a flight to Hawaii 2 years ago, that wasn't the case.
    I have tried Nutrisystem & found their food horrible. Yes, I lost weight but only because I couldn't choke down their food.
    I used to watch the Biggest Loser while sitting in my recliner, scooping ice cream into my mouth from the half gallon that was sitting in my lap. Now I watch it for motivation & pretend the Jillian is yelling at me to get off my butt.
    I'm here for you when you need to vent, need a pat on the back or have some good news to report on your weight loss journey. We didn't put this weight on overnight & it will not come off overnight either.
    So one day at a time, one pound at a time.
    There is a member on here who goes by the name The Phat Man. He weighs himself once a month so he isn't disappointed at the slow movement of the scale. He also has a wonderful blog going on titled THE PHAT MAN'S PHILOSOPHY OF DIETING & what he says really makes sense. Check out his blog & friend him, he'd be a great supporter on this journey to a new you.
  • holymolar
    Options

I have tried Nutrisystem & found their food horrible. Yes, I lost weight but only because I couldn't choke down their food.

I think dog food would be better. lol
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i was looking for an app for my phone similiar to the lose it app i have on my ipod. i found the site and use it on my phone as well as my pc. last year i lost about 20lbs counting calories, then i fell off track so now i'm back to calorie counting and using p90x to "get ripped"
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My friend posted about it on fb. I checked it out just for the cal counting - which has really been the only sucessful plan I've been on for the few healthy periods of my life (college ruins all good eating habits). I've really enjoyed having a place where I can be a little obsessed and its not a bad thing.
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My wife found the Iphone app and started using it, I thought it looked interesting so I played with it some, then I signed up here on the website and the rest is history
  • aprildauer
    Options
    I had seen several of my friends on fb making posts about their calories and exercise, so I looked for an app on my phone. I actually used a different app for quite a while then that app had major issues they couldn't seem to fix so I went looking for another one. I found MFP and love it. There is a lot of people here that keep me accountable when I don't have the encouragement at home. I don't think I would still be here if it wasn't for everyone here.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I had already started the process of getting healthier a few weeks before I came to MFP, had re-joined the gym and had gone for fitness assessments, etc. A friend of mine who is also on here has her MFP updates to come up on her Facebook, so I commented on one of them there. She told me about the site, I checked it out and now recommend it all the time!
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I was looking for a calorie counting app as i needed to track what i was eating to lose weight but i knew i'd never write these things down. i found myfitnesspal, and discovered something so much more than what i was looking for! i've lost 4 pounds so far and couldn't be happier! i've been motivated to change a lot by using myfitnesspal and i love it!!!
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello! I lost my Dad last December... so I feel your pain and am truly sorry! I gained 29 lbs of "emotional eating" pounds this last year. My husband and I also had trouble getting pregnant. After 7 years, I finally lost about 15 lbs to get under 200 lbs and we were able to concieve. I wish you much luck in your journey! I joined MFP because I liked how much it was like facebook...I just came acrossed it looking for calorie content of some kinda fast food...I cant remember what exactly. But I love it here!!
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Soo many beautiful stories out there.. :)<3 it!
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My brother lost a good amount of weight last winter and spring using MFP. I joined in July but didn't get going until mid-August.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bouncing back between diets, losing and gaining whatever i lost then adding some more. I read a success story of someone who logged in MFP, so I decided to give it a try. I don't regret it.

So to those that have accomplished their weight loss goals you are truly inspiring and to those of use trying to reach it, let's keep moving with the motivation & support we receive from everyone.

:drinker:
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    I was using another program's food diary but it kept crashing so I was having trouple sticking to it. It was off line for months. Someone suggested MFP so I put in the goals that the other program's registered dietition used as well as my personal registered dietition, and adapted it to my own use. The one thing that really worries me is the number of people who post here that are on dangerously low calorie goals or dangerous medications. We have a friend that died in his 20s from being on such a diet. Another kid that I used to teach ended up in the hospital after dieting on too low calories. People ridicule me for trying to warn them on these blogs. I miss being able to consult the registered dietitions on the other site and wish we had one here to give out sound scientific advice instead of the fads and fiction that float around here.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    just stumbled across it by accident doing an internet search. Had already lost from 265 to about 220 when i started on here...
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was tracking my food on the slim fast site, then they drastically changed everything and many of us came here. I am so happy because here it is fitness and calories. And of course I am here to lose weight and get fit, and I am getting there.:happy:
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Someone posted the link on a baby board..

It is the best decision I've ever made.....I've been trying to lose weight for many years now and over the years I had some success but many failures.....in April I hit 195 and I knew I couldnt continue like this....I was able to lose 10lb on my own but it was very hard to stick to it...so I thought MFP would be a good idea to track my excercise...tracking calories was an added bonus for me

One thing I learnt from MFP is that all these years I was eating too little...now I eat more food and more often . Its only been a lil over a week but so far I've lost 2 lbs...Plus the success stories give me so much inspiration...

I'm a happy camper :smile:
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm new here! But the reason I decided to join was that last week I truly became fed up with my weight and decided to once and for all get it under control. So many great things have happened in my life in the past year and a 1/2 and I have become determined to take charge in other areas as well, and have the most abundant, happy and healthy life that I can! I am 22 years old and when I imagine my future, it looks bright EXCEPT that I do not imagine the body I have now doing all those wonderful things I want to do and even being healthy enough to accomplish my goals. So last week, especially after seeing a picture of myself at a friend's party, I felt like "OH HELL NO!". I don't feel the way I look and I don't like it and I want to take it under control NOW versus later....as truly, I feel like the weight sneaks up and you don't realize...I don't want to get to 30 and have to be bulldozed out of my house or have health problems or some such so I want to stop it in its tracks.

I stepped on a scale after having a scale phobia for YEARS (even at the doctor, I ask them not to tell me, can we say denial?) and decided I needed to know where I stood to make a change. I am proud of myself for that; facing the truth so I can move forward. I then began to look up dieting and healthy living information and found some other sites, but last night my sister told me she uses this site and it has some cool tools that logs not only your calories but exercise, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I hope to have a great time here and to support as well as be supported in my new lifestyle journey :smile:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I originally downloaded the app for my iPhone, thinking it would help me with two goals 1) Counting my calories to help control my eating, and 2) be useful in tracking what I am eating. It's been working well so far.

I get weekly (and sometimes bi-weekly) migraines, and food allergies trigger a lot of those migraines. Artificial sweetners and food containing tannins are my biggest triggers. That means no food labeled "No sugar added", "Low sugar", "Sugar free", etc. Low calorie fruit juices? They are sweetened with apple juice...which contains a good amount of tannins (and is an instant trigger for a three-day migraine). Did I mention I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic? Anyone know how much fun it is being pre-diabetic and not being able to consume anything that is artifically or sometimes naturally sweetened? </rant>

Anyway...tomorrow is the start of week three and I have lost 7 pounds so far. I'm doing P90 (not P90X...yet) and have almost lost an inch off my waist. I'm gaining a good amount of muscle in my core and arms, which is probably why my weight loss isn't as high as I thought it would be. I've always been able to put on muscle fairly quickly...it's just never come easily to my core. Even though the scale isn't moving as quickly as I would like...the main thing that counts is I've noticed increased energy, better posture, and an inch of fat that was once there, gone.

23 more pounds to go till my first goal...then another 20 after that to reach my main goal (180 pounds). We'll see how it goes from there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!