Is it okay to nap in the afternoons?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Lately I try to take a nap daily... but I'm also growing a human, so my body is working double time.

In your case though it sounds more depression related... in which case I would say yes, it is bad. You need to address the depression and also get out and get moving. Take a walk to the park or something. One of the best things you can do to fight 'fatigue' is to get moving.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Several times recently i have taken a spontaneous nap in front of the t.v. or computer. I awake several hours later after the sun has gone down, and discover that i left the blinds up & the storm door unlocked. Leaving myself on full display for my neighbors & others to peep & creep on AND allowing anyone who pleases easy entry into my home. :embarassed:

so those naps suck.....but otherwise, i think naps are great!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    I think afternoon naps are bad, healthy people sleeping in the night time should not need to have a nap. If you have a kid keeping you up at night then I understand. I think your body would be better served with a good 7 hour continuous sleep and then followed by an active day.

Meh, I am a healthy person who sleeps at night but I sometimes have an afternoon nap on the weekends.
    Used to have one after work too when I started early and then finished work at 3 pm.

Works well for me.

However I agree with others, if you are sleeping excessive amounts during the day and are chronically tired, a medical check may be in order
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I nap an hour every afternoon. Lol, my DD stopped, but I didn't.:laugh: When I go in later at night to instruct, I'm energized.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with DebbieLynn.

Also, it's known that eating very low cal usually leads to reductions in overall activity, including more napping and just less movement overall. Usually, we're not even really conscious of it occurring, we just move less and feel more lethargic and sleep more. So if you're eating very low cal for the deficit, your body is reducing its burn to reduce part of the deficit. You'd be better off running a shallower deficit, especially if you tend toward depression already.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    no it's not ok
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is not bad and actually as long as it is a short nap, it probably is good. It should not keep you from exercising though. You may find that you have more energy if you get out and exercise some... Just exercise at another time of the day... When you get up in the morning or a couple of hours before you retire at night... I am a night exerciser and when I am off work, typically lie down for at least 30 minutes or so in the afternoon... Rest is important as well as exercise... But do both.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Woooo Hoooo I nap whenever I can zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.