Exercise/diet plan for a very obese person?

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyTravels
    HappyTravels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lots Of Very Good Advice Here.

For my 2 cents. Take It Slow. You Didnt Put The Weight On In A Day, Week, Month. It Was Gradual Over Time. So Getting It Off Will Be A Measured Process. Make Small Achievable Changes And Gradually Build On Them.

Ive Seen Plenty Of Folks Go Hell Bent For Leather And Then Injur Themselves Or Burn Out And It All Gets Too Hard And They Give Up.

Work Out With A Friend If You Can. Great For Encouragement, Less Boring And Youre Less Likely To Bonk Off A Workout (well I Am Anyway) If You Have Someone To Do It With.

Congratulations On Making The Choice To Get Healthy.
  • DDMAC1029
    DDMAC1029 Posts: 1
    Options
    First things first:.have you been to the doctor and had a physical?
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be complicated. If you have to completely change your way of life, then the chances are you won't stick to it.

Regarding food, simply eat what you currently eat but exercise strict portion control. Weigh absolutely everything and don't guess.

There's been some good advice regarding exercise but the important thing is to track your exercise and calorie burns and then add that to your calorie allowance. As your strength and stamina increases, the exercise will become easier and you can increase it.

Providing you keep your calorie intake below your total burn figure, you will lose weight.
  • flameflicker
    Options
    Hello!

I don't have a wealth of knowledge to contribute, but I just wanted to say good luck! When I started, getting into the right mindset and keeping myself there was very hard for me. Please stay motivated, even if it means browsing all the healthy motivational pictures on Google for awhile! ^_^

And please remember that everyone is different. Don't look too hard at what someone else is doing as far as eating and fitness go. Just because someone is eating only 1200 calories doesn't mean you should, you know? People will make friends here and compare diaries and suddenly feel like they're doing it wrong when they see someone eating way less, or exercising way more. Focus on your progress! Not someone else's. That someone else isn't you. ^_^

If you want some friends on MFP, please feel free to add me. I will jump up and down and wave pom-poms for you!
  • TheNewMe99
    TheNewMe99 Posts: 24
    Options
    This is great advice. I agree. A food journal is good so you can see what you are eating. MFP tracks that for you. I would also suggest walking outside first. If today you can only do 10 minutes than that's what you do. You can do 10 more minutes later in the day as well if you are up to it. Try to increase your time by 5 minutes each day. That worked for me. Good luck!
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ok when I started I was very heavy as well. I would walk my dog half a mile and be tired and sore and felt so discouraged but it was all I could do!

Eventually the sore agonizing mile turned into a mile, to two, then three, then within 4 months I was down 50 lbs and hiking my dog 7 miles almost daily.

Fast forward to today....220 to 124...... still walking the dog, have incorporated gym, running, biking, and hiking.

Your work out may be overkill right now fr your size, my advice?

Walk, outside. If it is only 10 mins then so be it, work up to it. The MOST important thing you need to do right now is log foods accurately and eat at a defecit.

When you are down a considerable amount of weight then research gym routines/workouts. You need to get a chunk of the weight off so you can work out with out the risk of injury and pain :)

Good luck!

I totally agree with this, I started at 218 and could barely walk round my block. I made some adjustments to my eating habits and started making myself walk round my block every day, for the first week or so I could only walk halfway then I'd have to stop for 5 minutes before doing the rest of it. Then I started walking a little further & if I didn't go walking I'd play wii tennis or do wii fit + exercises. Now I'm about 15lbs down and have started going to the gym 2 days a week doing 40-50 minutes of cardio & 30-40 minutes of weights