Starting P90X

nyy03
nyy03 Posts: 635 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Just waiting for my chin up bar to arrive this week then ready to go. I've read a lot of posts about the P90X and I'm really looking forward to it. My only issue is I don't like to take supplements. Will I be OK without taking them? Any suggestions anyone may about about the supplements or the P90X are welcome.

Thanks

Replies

• mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    I'm on day 14. So far I am not taking supplements, although I do think a recovery drink is a good idea. I have not been doing that either but I know my body is craving it! Welcome to the P90X community! :bigsmile:
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    i dont take any supplements. I don't drink the recovery drink either. I don't like the flavor.
  • nyy03
    Thanks, also wondering if doing the dvd's in the morning and running every other night would be too much? I don't want to lose my cardio.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Thanks, also wondering if doing the dvd's in the morning and running every other night would be too much? I don't want to lose my cardio.

With regards to running and doing P90X all I can tell you is listen to you body. If it tells you not to run, don't run. I am currently mixing P90X and Couch to 5k. With that said Plyo will definitely not hurt plyo.

As far as supplements, the only things I take are a multi vitamin, a protein bar and the P90X Results and Recovery Shake. The one day I did not drink this after a work out and I was very sore the next day. Won't make that mistake again!

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • I am on my last week of the program. I did not use any supplements nor did I follow the nutrition plan. The first 2 months, I was not watching how much I was eating or tracking my food. I started using this site 2.5 months into the program and I have lost 22lbs.
  • nyy03
    doncheco
    I am on my last week of the program. I did not use any supplements nor did I follow the nutrition plan. The first 2 months, I was not watching how much I was eating or tracking my food. I started using this site 2.5 months into the program and I have lost 22lbs.
    How did the first 2 months go without following the plan? I'm going to try the plan without the recipes. Good for you on losing the 22lbs. What are your plans after the program? I've heard it's addicting and you just want to keep going.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    If you don't really like supplements you could just take a daily multivitamin. Most supplements these days are not as beneficial as they say, unless you have a deficiency. Good luck with P90X, it's hardcore!
  • Today is day 5 for me on P90X. So far no supplements and I'm not following the food plan. I'm watching what I eat and entering it on this site. So far things have been good and I can tell I've lost some inches already, at least it feels like it. I won't measure again until day 30. I do however drink EAS after my workouts, it's a nice treat after working so hard! Good luck and BRING IT!
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    i think someone said it best.. listen to your body... i do p90x plus my old gym stuff and cardio every night and no kenpo or pylometrics cause i live in the second story..... i go on 8 day routines with two days breaks in each one of them.. that works for me... im tired but i have a goal and im going to achieve it.. without injuring my body.

for suppliments.. uhh they say they are over rated.. i take high preformance and i like it.. but i take half in the morning and half in the afternoon...

in regards to the protein shake.. i love the bodyfortress stuff at wallmart.. it has creatine in it.. (which i doubt does anything) but honestly it tastes good.. not to strong not to powdery...

i also take BLACK POWDER in the morning before my weight training.. it kinda helps me wake up and go straight into the gym... feels great for me..

i do cycle the black powder and the protein shake im not to consistant about... which i should be because that stuff gives you farts unless your consistant... but i cant always afford the calories...
  • The first 2 months though not following a specific plan I focused on eating a lot of protein and vegetables. As for what is next, I plan to continue to do the program as I am still trying to get to my goal weight and under 200 before my birthday at the end of December.

As for your other question: "Also wondering if doing the dvd's in the morning and running every other night would be too much? I don't want to lose my cardio". Many have set it best on this post listen to your body and it will let you know. In the last month the program I added, jogging with my dog 2 miles every day (M-F). My body is now used to it, but it all depends on your fitness. Adding more to the already intense program in the beginning stages is tough, but if you and your body are up for it, go for it. You have plenty of support and guidance here.
  • nyy03
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. :flowerforyou:
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    I'm just starting phase 3, day 57 I came up with my own way of taking suppliments....
    I take a multi-vitamin (just a basic one a day) and I do sometimes either eat a protien bar or a smoothie about 90 minutes before my workouts, it really keeps me going... my husband and I really like the Cliff builder bars they are pretty tasty!!
    Also I highly reccommend some kind of recovery drink, otherwise your going to be REALLY sore! my husband and I got one from GNC is called endourox r4... it's pretty tasty and I notice a bit difference when I don't take it... hope this helps.... good luck to you!!!!
This discussion has been closed.