Going on Holiday

Options
Hello lovely people, I am going to Spain in September and was wondering what the best thing to do about counting calories when out there. Would you let yourself go and enjoy yourself for the week or would you be careful over what you ate and drank? Any advice or experiences appreciated :) I've lost 20lbs so far and really don't want to muck myself up!! x

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of what you eat, but enjoy yourself too. If you have the willpower to resist, by all means, do it, I'm not one of those people though :p
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I say don't worry about it, food is much better there.

I lose 3-4 pounds each time I go back to see my family in France and eat all the time.

The diet in Europe is better to start with with higher quality products, you will do fine.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, when I'm on vacation, I typically let myself go. Honestly, if you're only going to be there for a relatively short time, it's kind of impossible to gain a massive amount of weight.

I was just on vacation for 8 days in the OBX, which was a vacation filled with BBQ, fried sea food, and more ice cream that I've had in the last 3 years combined, and the majority of the "5 lbs" I put on was still water weight and a week after re-starting tracking, I'm already .5 less than I was before vacation.

I always figure it as this: I'm going to be in a place with food that I love that I don't typically have great access to, so, I'm going to enjoy myself without worry or guilt, then hop right back on the tracking train as soon as I get home.

Don't let an impossible fear of incredible weight gain over a short period create tension in your vacation.

Enjoy yourself :-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I just spent 17 days in Ireland. I ate full Irish breakfasts, I ate tons of food and even more beer (Guinness really does taste better, and it's cheaper than soda). I'm up 10lbs. I'm guessing I may have put on a pound or two of fat, and it's mostly water retention. Regardless of how much of it is fat, I was super excited that I had a great time on my trip and never once concerned myself with what to eat or logging it.

I would go and have a good time. Eat what you think looks good. In Spain, there will be a ton of seafood (if you like that evil stuff), and probably healthier options. I just went with what looked tasty. Up to you, but I think it's worth it to not stress and enjoy your vacation.

I went with a couple of other people who ate whatever they wanted, but were instantly guilty and complained about it all the time. Luckily, I killed no one on the trip, but it was hard to refrain from it. If you want to eat whatever, have no guilt; you will not gain back all that you lost. Also, you will likely be walking/moving more than you normally do. It really helps manage the weight as well.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Spanish food - so good. Whereabouts are you off to?

Everything is pretty much fresh to be honest - amazing fruit over there, especially Valencia oranges. I eat them everyday when I'm there and kiwi fruit. Plus, lots of ham!

Tapas is always great so you can try a tiny bit of everything without having a massive portion. They do use quite a lot of salt, so dont be surprised if you gain a lot of water weight (I always come back with about 4-5 lbs on me. It goes within a week though)

My ultimate advice when visiting any European country - eat like the locals.