Restrict all week and Over on the weekends

Hi so I've never posted on here and just looking for advice. First and foremost I started counting calories to lose my baby weight. My initial goal was 110 lbs. I'm a shorty 5'1 and the smallest I had ever been was around there and I loved it. Well I achieved that goal and thought to myself, I wonder if I could go down to 105 lbs and yes I'll be happy then and I'll work on getting fit. But then I decided to keep going and I came down to 100 lbs and I thought okay I'm good now, but then everyone said I was too skinny. I thought I looked fine. I love seeing my muscles, my abs, but my husband hates it. He thinks I need to gain 10 lbs back, but I feel great being a size 0 and I feel I don't look skinny. I feel I look fit. Lately when we go out to eat i eat everything I can, sometimes to the point I feel sick, but then on Mondays I go right back to eating around 1300-1400 calories and it's become a cycle. But right now I feel if it's getting serious because I've since lost more weight. And now I'm around 97-98 lbs and I don't want to go over that. I've become so obsessed with the number and calorie counting. I'm actually worried about myself and my husband does not like I'm always on my phone calculating every single thing I put in my mouth. Is it just me or am I becoming unhealthy trying to be healthy? Any advice?
Please no judgments

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Sounds like you need to delete the app, stop counting for a bit and adamantly try o get back to 105-110 so you can be happier. I think many people get to a point where this becomes an obsession, I certainly have been there. Stop logging, eat more, even if you have to force yourself too. Remember that you WANT to gain weight. You goal has changed and you just have to make a new plan and stick to it.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    No judgements, but it's a very slippery slope.

It's easy to say this (especially when I still haven't quite got it hand myself), but try not to obsess. The good thing is that you are aware that this might be an issue and have the balls to try and stop it. Or if you still need to count, up your calories to maintenance levels so at least you won't be losing more weight. As long as you're not still getting a thrill out of seeing the scales dropping down, you got this.

Talk it through with your husband. Get counselling if you need to.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Stop logging for a while. No offence billieljaime but compulsion/obsession of any kind is not a good thing. To OP you have become fixated on numbers not on how you feel or look so you need to concentrate on that, also eating to the point of feeling sick and then restricting is a slippery slope to ED you already have disordered eating. If you don't feel you can do it alone speak to someone about this. I have been there and the good thing is you recognise you have a problem before it's developed to something which you feel is ruling you.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Doctor > referral > dietitian

That way you can make sure you're perfectly healthy and get tips on what weight you should be and what you should do to healthily maintain it.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Stop logging for a while. No offence billieljaime but compulsion/obsession of any kind is not a good thing. To OP you have become fixated on numbers not on how you feel or look so you need to concentrate on that, also eating to the point of feeling sick and then restricting is a slippery slope to ED you already have disordered eating. If you don't feel you can do it alone speak to someone about this. I have been there and the good thing is you recognise you have a problem before it's developed to something which you feel is ruling you.

Agreed.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Just saw this post on your profile. . . was curious. :)

OK, so I think it would be good for you to gain some weight. Either stop logging for a while and see what happens, or use the logging to purposely get back up to at least 100-105ish. Logging might be very informative to see what your true maintenance number is since MFP's average number may not be right for you individually. You're my height and when I first began maintaining starting at my goal weight of 105, I rapidly lost 3 more pounds in about a month, eating MFP's recommended maintenance amount (about 1600 calories, before exercise, and I always eat exercise calories back). I found myself at 102, liked how I looked, but my hormones started getting all wacky and I did not like how that affected certain activities with my fiance, or my cycle. AHEM. Anyway I decided to gain some weight back. I'm around 103-104 now and sometimes struggle with wanting to lose those 1-2 lbs to get back to my thinnest, and I know that is a BAD IDEA since my hormones were not behaving.

After spending months feeling happy when one is under that calorie goal, and constantly working on accomplishing getting lighter, maintenance can be hard, especially mentally. I've been slightly worried about myself lately too, even though I'm not "too thin". . . just the "get a little thinner" mindset that creeps up on me is unpleasant, and I disapprove of the things that occasionally go on in my own head. I think that realizing one is in a weird mental position about losing weight and being worried about oneself, is a space in which you may still have the power to reverse this on your own. However, if you find yourself unable to work on gaining some weight alone, it is time to talk to a doctor/nutritionist/therapist before you sink into serious ED territory. :frown:

Eat more during the week-- eat up to your maintenance calorie goal. It may well be too low anyway! I found that it was about 100 calories too low for me.

The best way to regain that few pounds is to do it while eating a proper amount each day (and when you're gaining, do not be afraid to go OVER the gaining-weight calorie goal several times a week) and lift weights. I wish I had started lifting weights when I discovered I needed to gain weight-- that way gaining back my few pounds would have gone into muscle a little more.

Getting nice muscles and being stronger is my new goal, rather than keeping on getting thinner. I think with a thought process like you have, and like I sometimes experience, having a healthy body-related goal is really, really important.

Good luck!
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    It may be beneficial to seek the opinion of a health professional. I won't say you're unhealthy physically because I have no clue, but certainly your fixation is something to be concerned about.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44

+1
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    If you were naturally quite fit, you don't need tools. You did fine all your life without it.

MFP is not making you happy. That's OK. Just focus on listening to your body and nourishing yourself.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Just saw this post on your profile. . . was curious. :)

OK, so I think it would be good for you to gain some weight. Either stop logging for a while and see what happens, or use the logging to purposely get back up to at least 100-105ish. Logging might be very informative to see what your true maintenance number is since MFP's average number may not be right for you individually. You're my height and when I first began maintaining starting at my goal weight of 105, I rapidly lost 3 more pounds in about a month, eating MFP's recommended maintenance amount (about 1600 calories, before exercise, and I always eat exercise calories back). I found myself at 102, liked how I looked, but my hormones started getting all wacky and I did not like how that affected certain activities with my fiance, or my cycle. AHEM. Anyway I decided to gain some weight back. I'm around 103-104 now and sometimes struggle with wanting to lose those 1-2 lbs to get back to my thinnest, and I know that is a BAD IDEA since my hormones were not behaving.

After spending months feeling happy when one is under that calorie goal, and constantly working on accomplishing getting lighter, maintenance can be hard, especially mentally. I've been slightly worried about myself lately too, even though I'm not "too thin". . . just the "get a little thinner" mindset that creeps up on me is unpleasant, and I disapprove of the things that occasionally go on in my own head. I think that realizing one is in a weird mental position about losing weight and being worried about oneself, is a space in which you may still have the power to reverse this on your own. However, if you find yourself unable to work on gaining some weight alone, it is time to talk to a doctor/nutritionist/therapist before you sink into serious ED territory. :frown:

Eat more during the week-- eat up to your maintenance calorie goal. It may well be too low anyway! I found that it was about 100 calories too low for me.

The best way to regain that few pounds is to do it while eating a proper amount each day (and when you're gaining, do not be afraid to go OVER the gaining-weight calorie goal several times a week) and lift weights. I wish I had started lifting weights when I discovered I needed to gain weight-- that way gaining back my few pounds would have gone into muscle a little more.

Getting nice muscles and being stronger is my new goal, rather than keeping on getting thinner. I think with a thought process like you have, and like I sometimes experience, having a healthy body-related goal is really, really important.

Good luck!

Super advice!! :flowerforyou: