Lifting and running 6 days a week, too much?

Options
For the last few weeks I've been working out 6 days a week and on most of the days I do weight training + running but I've read a lot of mixed opinions on here about it. My goal is to lose fat and tone. I'm 5'8 174 pounds. I have seen results as of recently but im wondering if there is a more effective way to do this. Any opinions? That's my workout below and I've been using the body for life workout for strength training if anyone is familiar with that. I recently read that running after lifting can cancel out any muscle gains. Is that true?

Day 1 upper body strength for about 45 min . + run 3 miles
Day 2 lower body strength training for about 45 + run 3 miles
Day 3 abs +run 4 miles
Day 4 off
Repeat

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Some people can do it, some can't. If you feel fine, and your performance doesn't suffer, then go for it.
    I recently read that running after lifting can cancel out any muscle gains. Is that true?

Well, it's not an optimal way to train, but in your case, you probably won't notice a difference. Just make sure your running form doesn't gett sloppy.. and don't overeat when you're done.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    For the last few weeks I've been working out 6 days a week and on most of the days I do weight training + running but I've read a lot of mixed opinions on here about it. My goal is to lose fat and tone. I'm 5'8 174 pounds. I have seen results as of recently but im wondering if there is a more effective way to do this. Any opinions? That's my workout below and I've been using the body for life workout for strength training if anyone is familiar with that. I recently read that running after lifting can cancel out any muscle gains. Is that true?

Day 3 abs +run 4 miles
    Day 4 off
    Repeat

You are not going to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, so don't even worry about that. You are lifting to retain your muscles while you lose weight. Running 3 miles sounds fine, and your schedule sounds fine as long as you don't get burned out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I recently read that running after lifting can cancel out any muscle gains.

Any muscle gain, or retention, depends on training and eating appropriately. If you're in deficit then you're not going to gain mass. The issue around significant CV work is that it burns calories, so gives you a challenge around consuming enough to compensate. That said, it does give you flexibility around what you eat.
    Day 3 abs +run 4 miles
    Day 4 off
    Repeat

I would suggest splitting these, so that you alternate resistance and CV, rather than trying to do both on the same day. That said, 3-4 miles are short runs, so you're only burning 300-400 calories in there.