juicing: yay or nay?

Options
katcunock
katcunock Posts: 664 Member
So, my partner bought me a juicer.

I don't like to think of doing a purely juice fast, because i've read lots of horror stories about gaining all the weight back, unhealthy defecits, yada yada. I also don't want to lose muscle mass.

So, my thoughts so far are maybe juice and protein at every meal? For example, a juice with a steak. What do people think? have you done a juice fast? Did it help you?

For info: I mostly do body strength exercise, I work 5/6 days a week on my feet for ten hours a day being a chef. I'm 5'4 and around 240lbs. I have lost 62 lbs in the past but gained much back after a long term illness.

Replies

• katcunock
    Options
    bump
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Bump. Curious about this also :smile:
  • katcunock
    Options
    Bump. Curious about this also :smile:

thank you :)
  • katcunock
    Options
    Nay. I prefer chewing my food.

i like that too!
  • AmigosRanger
    AmigosRanger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose a ton of weight fast, yes, it works. But you're practically starving yourself. I did it for 3 days and I felt great and lost 6 pounds, but after I was super hungry and irritable and ate a ton to make up for it.
    I don't know what the research is on it, but short term for me it was a nice confidence booster, but it probably did more harm than good in the long run
  • katcunock
    Options
    If you want to lose a ton of weight fast, yes, it works. But you're practically starving yourself. I did it for 3 days and I felt great and lost 6 pounds, but after I was super hungry and irritable and ate a ton to make up for it.
    I don't know what the research is on it, but short term for me it was a nice confidence booster, but it probably did more harm than good in the long run

what makes you think it did harm?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I do think lots of fruit and veggies are good for everyone. Raw has more nutrients, regardless of whether you eat it or juice it. The only thing about juice is the fiber has been removed. I have seen newer versions of juicing that is done in the blender to keep the fiber. I personally like frozen leafy greens and frozen fruit blended with coconut water. It is kind of like a shake. I eat regular food too
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    People advocate that juicing is great because they would never eat that much raw fruit and veggies with out it
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For example, a juice with a steak.

What, like grind it up with the apples and beetroot?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    consuming nothing but juice is a bad idea. humans over the age of 6-9 months need solid food. any diet that involves too big a calorie deficit is likely to be counterproductive and hard to maintain long term, especially for people who don't have that much weight to lose

juicing to supplement an otherwise balanced diet is a good way to get micronutrients, but eating fresh whole fruits and veggies gives you a lot more fibre. And there's no benefit in getting more micronutrients than you actually need, so if your number 1 reason for juicing is health and good nutrition, you'd do better eating fresh whole fruits and veggies.

drinking juices because you like the taste is cool though, so long as you're getting fibre from other sources.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options

:laugh: don't do that :noway:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I do think lots of fruit and veggies are good for everyone. Raw has more nutrients, regardless of whether you eat it or juice it. The only thing about juice is the fiber has been removed. I have seen newer versions of juicing that is done in the blender to keep the fiber. I personally like frozen leafy greens and frozen fruit blended with coconut water. It is kind of like a shake. I eat regular food too

not always, some nutrients are more bioavailable after the foods been cooked - that means your body can absorb it more easily.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    People advocate that juicing is great because they would never eat that much raw fruit and veggies with out it

one of the reasons people need to eat more veggies is because of the fibre - juicing removes most of the fibre. If someone prefers to drink their fruits and veggies and doesn't like to eat them whole, then smoothies would be better, as the whole fruit or vegetable stays in the smoothie, so you get the fibre too.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    juicer can be great for making stuff to cook with, like ginger juice for stir frying or salad dressings.
    My friend recently juiced fresh corn and then reduced the juice by cooking in a saucepan on low heat and made amazing pasta sauce with it.

Too much fruit juice can be high in calories even if you juice it yourself.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well i juiced for a while. I put a ham and a Krispy Kreme donut in and let me tell you, if you're drinking ham juice and your arm goes numb wait an hour. I'm not a doctor, but just saying... ;)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with making a little juice every now and then. I would not recommend it as an alternative to healthy eating.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

:laugh: don't do that :noway:

Suddenly, I'm having a deja vu moment. Chicken smoothie, anyone?
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options

not always, some nutrients are more bioavailable after the foods been cooked - that means your body can absorb it more easily.

What fruit and veggies have more nutrients after being cooked? I have always heard the more you cook a fruit or vegetable the less nutrients it has.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you decide too juice.