Workout Routine

TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to the pal's and asking your opinions.

As far as a weekly workout goes do you:

A.) Tend to stick to the same regimen? Do the same workout Dvd or workout on the same pieces of equipment at the gym?

B.) Mix it up? Every week or every day is different?

Which answer is more successful towards calorie burn and weight loss? Is it better to keep your body guessing or give it a routine? As far as my days go, I really mix it up. It can be kickboxing, elliptical and swimming one day and then jogging, zumba and weights the next. I was sitting here thinking, I wonder what is best for my body!

What do you do?

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    To the best of my knowledge and from what Ive read, Mixing it up seems to be the way to go... :drinker:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    I mix it up - works for me and keeps me from getting bored - which is the reason I have given up in the past!
  • I'm continually trying different things but only due to curiosity and experimentation. Anything from HIIT hill sprints, to jump rope HIIT to HIIT on the airdyne to different bodyweight workouts, to stair running. I do NOT recommend hill sprints.. I thought I was going to die after doing 5 20 second sprints. Although to be fair every time I do HIIT I feel as though I'm going to die, just not in the same way as the hill sprints.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    I mix it up between C25K, walking, elliptical and biking. Due to calorie burning and boredom :) Need to get some strength training in there somewhere and open for suggestions :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    I do Beachbody programs and am currently doing Turbo Fire. They come with a schedule already and I just follow that. It's all mixed up with a bunch of different workout routines.

Keeping your body mixed with a bunch of different workout routines is the best because if you do the same thing every day, eventually your body adjusts to that pretty much.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    I mix it up within the week (weights, elliptical, hip hop, yoga, walking), but have the same schedule from week to week. I find if I don't plan my workouts ahead of time, I usually end up talking myself out of doing them at all :tongue:
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    As far as weight loss, any type of cardio will work. Just make sure you are giving it your all and really focus on whatever exercise you are doing. Also, try to be accurate with calories burned, especially if you eat all of your exercise calories.

For building muscle, some people suggest doing full body workouts with weights for beginners. However, I am a firm believe of doing one or two different muscles each day per week. This way you can really focus on those particular muscles on that day and then allow them to grow the remainder of the week. You build muscle outside of the gym. It's 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. If you want some more info on this weight lifting philosophy feel free to ask.
  • You don't have to mix up cardio that much, as long as you're pushing yourself to keep increasing the distance/resistance. For instance, if you're on the treadmill for 30min at the same speed/resistance every day, then your body will become accustom to it and it will become easier and easier until you're not working as hard as you should be.

If you’re doing any kind of strength training, you want to mix it up as much as possible.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    I mix it up just not to get bored. There are some weeks where I am pushing myself to beat my goals on the treadmill and some days I want a higher calorie burn in a shorter time so I will use the eliptical and some days where I use both. As for stregth training I try and do abs on any day I am not working with my trainer and she mixes up my strength training for my whole body. I have never done the same routine twice with her and I have been going to her since Feb.
This discussion has been closed.