Juicing is working for me

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    See what I mean? Mention juicing and all the haters come out. I don't juice fruits, but everyone says I'm getting too much sugar. I eat a wonderful, healthy meal every day and people say my live is boring. Is eating bacon and eggs and pop tarts everyday for breakfast exiting and fun? Then they start talking about diarrhea, which I don't have. Then they talk about the disgusting taste, and I think it tastes fine.

I always eat bacon and eggs while exiting McDonalds
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    See what I mean? Mention juicing and all the haters come out. I don't juice fruits, but everyone says I'm getting too much sugar. I eat a wonderful, healthy meal every day and people say my live is boring. Is eating bacon and eggs and pop tarts everyday for breakfast exiting and fun? Then they start talking about diarrhea, which I don't have. Then they talk about the disgusting taste, and I think it tastes fine.

Bacon and eggs???
    *yawn*
    So boring!! Not to mention the gastrointestinal issues. Smh.
  • vintagehollywood
    vintagehollywood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you liked Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, try Hungry for Change, and Food Inc. Those three are my go-to docs whenever I feel the pressure to give in.

"docs"?

As in, docvertisements?

Or docaganda?

Haha, true. It all depends on the which doc you watch, the amount of research you do outside of watching it, and which parts you take with you after its all done. I like these three because after I look past all the personal stories, and all the drama created for the screen (although, FS&ND doesn't do much of the "drama" as much as the others for me anyway, its more conversational … like "hey, look what just happened. Totally awesome, right?"), and the insane amount of "western society has ruined life for everyone as we know it" preaching … I come away with a new spin on a nutrient I hadn't thought about before, or a new way to cook broccoli, or … whatever.

Maybe I can find out something new to try that will be my game changer. Maybe I won't. Most of what I've implemented from documentary inspiration has not been exactly what the documentary said to do, or even effective for that matter, but those searches lead me to an article or a website or a book that has taught me something valuable in the process.

No, never take a documentary at face value-- well, unless you personally know the people in it, I suppose. And Google Scholar is very very handy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Bacon and eggs???
    *yawn*
    So boring!! Not to mention the gastrointestinal issues. Smh.

Are you saying my live is boring?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think people leave negative comments because they don't have the will power to do it themselves. Who wouldn't want to feel healthy & lose weight quickly. Good for you.

Hahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahah!!!

Really?!? Like seriously really?!

I've never juiced. I guess I lack willpower....*looks at ticker*....oh, wait....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think people leave negative comments because they don't have the will power to do it themselves. Who wouldn't want to feel healthy & lose weight quickly. Good for you.

I've never juiced. I guess I lack willpower....*looks at ticker*....oh, wait....

You know what they say...

...no juice, no voice.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I just turned 59 (male, medium frame) and play competitive tennis (4.0 level) three to five times a week, mostly singles. I'm 5'10 and started with myfitnesspal about a year ago, when I weighed 190. Through sensible eating I got down to 175-180. I recently watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" at the urging of my daughter, and decided to give it a try. I already owned a Breville juicer that had been gathering dust for years, so two weeks ago we started a ten day fast. I lost about ten pounds and now weigh 167 lbs and feel great. I still juice three times a day and have a sensible "normal" meal for dinner. I was happy at 177 and didn't do this to lose weight, but my tennis has benefited so much, and I feel so great I've set a new goal of 155, which is what I weighed from age 18 to about age 30.

The only negative is the horrible feedback I get from lots of people, who think I'm crazy for juicing. Why is there so much anti-juicing sentiment out there?
    You lost ten pounds in ten days.

Do you really believe you ate 3500 fewer calories a day than you had burned?

Do you believe that your body was capable of shedding that much fat in that amount of time?

Do you really believe it's going to stay off when you resume eating like a human being?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I just turned 59 (male, medium frame) and play competitive tennis (4.0 level) three to five times a week, mostly singles. I'm 5'10 and started with myfitnesspal about a year ago, when I weighed 190. Through sensible eating I got down to 175-180. I recently watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" at the urging of my daughter, and decided to give it a try. I already owned a Breville juicer that had been gathering dust for years, so two weeks ago we started a ten day fast. I lost about ten pounds and now weigh 167 lbs and feel great. I still juice three times a day and have a sensible "normal" meal for dinner. I was happy at 177 and didn't do this to lose weight, but my tennis has benefited so much, and I feel so great I've set a new goal of 155, which is what I weighed from age 18 to about age 30.

The only negative is the horrible feedback I get from lots of people, who think I'm crazy for juicing. Why is there so much anti-juicing sentiment out there?
    You lost ten pounds in ten days.

Do you really believe you ate 3500 fewer calories a day than you had burned?

Do you believe that your body was capable of shedding that much fat in that amount of time?

Do you really believe it's going to stay off when you resume eating like a human being?

blah blah blah science

DYEJuice?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Haha this made me laugh. Great job on your lack of non juicing will power.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I like knowing when I sneeze I'm not going to have a pantastrophe. Willpower has nothing to do with it.

^ lmfao
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I work really hard to be polite and helpful on these boards, so it's disheartening to be called a "hater" because I'm looking out for newbie lurkers who may be a bit naive when it comes to diet and exercise.

Seriously, I hate a lot of things: reality TV shows, people who drive 10 miles under the speed limit, instant coffee, 2 calorie cookies, pantastrophes... the list goes on.

But I don't hate juicing. I simply find it unpalatable, and unsustainable as a dietary choice. And judging from the responses here, I'm not the only one.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I work really hard to be polite and helpful on these boards, so it's disheartening to be called a "hater" because I'm looking out for newbie lurkers who may be a bit naive when it comes to diet and exercise.

Seriously, I hate a lot of things: reality TV shows, people who drive 10 miles under the speed limit, instant coffee, 2 calorie cookies, pantastrophes... the list goes on.

But I don't hate juicing. I simply find it unpalatable, and unsustainable as a dietary choice. And judging from the responses here, I'm not the only one.

Stop hating. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

How dare you hate my hate!

fish-slapping-o.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

How dare you hate my hate!

fish-slapping-o.gif

That is great!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

I've been using a juicer for years but not for weight loss as in using juice for a meal replacement. It is a way for us to enjoy healthy homemade juices occasionally. When it comes to weight loss, blending is actually better than juicing because blending doesn't strip the fibre. Fibre helps you feel full longer and naturally bulks stools that aids in weight loss.

As far as folks thinking you are crazy for juicing, do what works for you and ignore them. If you are relying mainly on juices, you should add fibre and protein but other than that, no worries.
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear!
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    People will discourage you based on their failed experiences or what they read online. If it is working and you feel fine, then i say keep it up!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Juicing is seriously low in fat and protein. Not really as healthy as people claim. While it's loaded with nutrients it's also 100% carbs. It is low calorie if you don't drink too much but I can imagine a huge muscle loss. Heart is a muscle so not good.
    I would juice as a nice beverage and veggie/ fruit boost but I think protein smoothies are far better for you. Plus, unless you have a vitamin, you lose all that wonderful fiber.
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Has anyone who is criticizing juicing here actually TRIED doing it for more than a day? If you do the research for and against and also enjoy the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and/or watch any of Joe's followup interviews on news stations, etc...AND/or read the advice on his website from nutritionists and dietitions, etc and yes I realise those particular ones work for him. I'm not naive.... you'd see that even for himself, his juice fast was to detox his body so that he could heal from his illness plus a jumpstart to changing from a very unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one. He also states not to mainly drink fruit juice, that it should normally be an 80/20 veg/fruit split which would mean that it's primarily alkaline, not acidic and almost zero sugar foods (except for carrots which are high on the GI Index) AND he no longer juices his meals all day every day nor is he a vegetarian or vegan. He eats healthfully and juices once per day, sometimes twice. He exercises. He does not suggest to anyone that juicing 24/7 for the rest of your life is a good thing.

It IS, however, like injecting pure micro nutrients directly into your veins and there can't be anything wrong with that. It isn't boring either. There are so many different combinations that you can make it's endless. There are only so many ways you can eat eggs and toast and poptarts and bagels and cereal and and and and.... just doesn't compare if variety is the issue. You can't just say that a beverage is a beverage so there is no variety, that's like saying if you are eating food, it's just food so there can't be any variety.

Green juice is an acquired taste, undeniably. But like anything else or any so called healthy or "diet" foods, rice cakes come to mind, ugh, or prunes or sugar free peanut butter ugh again, sometimes we just have to suck it up. My 21 year old son who is fussier than you can imagine tried one of my green juices and said "mom, it tastes weird, kind of like grass." Yes my sweet it tastes like grass because that is essentially what it is lol. Add a couple of lemons in there and some ginger which are extremely healthy for us and it kind of tones down the greens taste.

Anyway, I hope that some of this info from my perspective helps out some of my fellow lurkers ;-)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Has anyone who is criticizing juicing here actually TRIED doing it for more than a day? If you do the research for and against and also enjoy the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and/or watch any of Joe's followup interviews on news stations, etc...AND/or read the advice on his website from nutritionists and dietitions, etc and yes I realise those particular ones work for him. I'm not naive.... you'd see that even for himself, his juice fast was to detox his body so that he could heal from his illness plus a jumpstart to changing from a very unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one. He also states not to mainly drink fruit juice, that it should normally be an 80/20 veg/fruit split which would mean that it's primarily alkaline, not acidic and almost zero sugar foods (except for carrots which are high on the GI Index) AND he no longer juices his meals all day every day nor is he a vegetarian or vegan. He eats healthfully and juices once per day, sometimes twice. He exercises. He does not suggest to anyone that juicing 24/7 for the rest of your life is a good thing.

It IS, however, like injecting pure micro nutrients directly into your veins and there can't be anything wrong with that. It isn't boring either. There are so many different combinations that you can make it's endless. There are only so many ways you can eat eggs and toast and poptarts and bagels and cereal and and and and.... just doesn't compare if variety is the issue. You can't just say that a beverage is a beverage so there is no variety, that's like saying if you are eating food, it's just food so there can't be any variety.

Green juice is an acquired taste, undeniably. But like anything else or any so called healthy or "diet" foods, rice cakes come to mind, ugh, or prunes or sugar free peanut butter ugh again, sometimes we just have to suck it up. My 21 year old son who is fussier than you can imagine tried one of my green juices and said "mom, it tastes weird, kind of like grass." Yes my sweet it tastes like grass because that is essentially what it is lol. Add a couple of lemons in there and some ginger which are extremely healthy for us and it kind of tones down the greens taste.

Anyway, I hope that some of this info from my perspective helps out some of my fellow lurkers ;-)

Of what toxin(s)? Please name even one. Hopefully with your extensive knowledge of Joe and his incredible research into this approach, you'll be able to easily answer this simple question.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!