Understanding Maintenance

I am within a few pounds of reaching my final goal. I work out 6 days a week, some days just cardio, some days both weight training and cardio. I don't fully understand maintenance. MFP has me at 1750 calories intake. Do I eat that amount to maintain? Or do I eat back all my exercise calories as well or just half? I don't want to lose more once i'm there but I do not want to gain either. Thanks!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    When I reached my goal weight and enter it into MFP, it gave me my maintenance calories. I started eating those and continued eating my exercise calories back. It took some trial and error to figure out the calorie balance that kept me within a weight range.

Remember, goal weight is plus or minus a certain range. For example, my weight fluctuates between 139 and 142. That's okay for me. if it goes under, I know I need to add a bit more, and if it over, I need to eat a little less.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    How much are you eating at the moment? If you are still losing at that amount then you are at a deficit. When you reach your goal, gradually increase your intake until your weight stabilises, at which point you will be at maintenance.