Catfish the movie and television show

Options
Capt_Inzane
Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
I'm currently watching the movie right now. He just met the family for the first time and they're driving to where Abby is. This is sooooo f'n weird.

I'm just now getting into online dating and now I'm scared LOL. I don't wanna start sexting with a guy that'd just be a bad bad day for me.

Replies

• unprettyzombie
    Options
    i love that show do you watch the show? i watched the movie couple years ago and fell in love ive met quite a bit of people from online
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    The sooner you meet, the better you'll know if someone is a good match for you IN REAL LIFE. If they keep postponing meeting or making up excuses, most likely the person is not who they say they are. That's what I got from Catfish and online dating in general.
  • sweet2def
    sweet2def Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The whole show just makes me CRACK up. Seriously some people are so ****ing evil. Most of the time the person who is in love finds out it's their cousin ''Laquisha'' pretending to be some model from halfway across the country.
    Luckily, I've never had to resort to meeting people online as I hate dishonest people and have a pretty well honed BS detector.

Don't let it put ypu off if you were ever to do it BUT, if after months of talking you still haven't met . . . .RUN! LOL
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the part where Nev goes to see her is super weird. It is also weird that the woman used her child as bait at first. Keep in mind that Catfish only shows the horror stories and that reality shows are largely scripted. Most of the people in them are naïve and in denial. They could easily insist on Skype, do background checks, image searches and all other kinds of research instead of choosing to stay in the dark. A number of online relationships are successful. Just be careful. There are many crazies out there who are just skilled at being charming with words.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm in IT and honestly I probably know more about you people than you know about yourself :D. Nah j/k haven't stalked anyone on here but I will say there are some sexy ladies that I could :) (that just sounds creepy lol).

I do watch the show, I've seen season 3 and season 2 so far. I'm watching the movie at the moment like I said and have about 20 minutes left. I feel really bad for the woman I truly do...
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The internet doesn't have to be anything like it is on Catfish! Seriously, it's like they purposely only show episodes with people who are naive.

Almost everyone nowadays has a webcam on their laptop or a smartphone. Snapchat, facetime, skype... there's NO EXCUSE for why you can't show someone you're interested in who you are. If someone is purposely avoiding things like phone calls, webcamming etc... get rid of 'em. Don't meet them. They're likely crazy, trying to scam you financially, or just lonely people that don't plan on taking the relationship anywhere beyond the internet because they can't get past the low self-esteem thing.

If you're in an online RELATIONSHIP I'd recommend meeting them in person as soon as possible. Even if you're talking on the phone and webcamming, you don't really know a person until you're actually hanging out with them, meeting the people they hang out with etc. Friendships can be a little different. I'll be honest I've been making friends online since AOL 3.0! I still talk to a couple people I've known since I was 10 but have never met because of the extreme long distances. Maybe we'll meet someday, maybe we won't. At the end of the day they're friends, not someone I'm investing my life in like a boyfriend/fiance/husband.

ETA: Also be careful with what you share with people online that you haven't met and really gotten to know. I've known women who have sent nudes and adult texts and emails to guys they were interested in.... All of a sudden their nudes and business is all over the internet.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online on OKCupid! We've been together for 4 years now and live together.

But.. I met plenty of creeps and fake people before I met him. Mostly just creeps. You can usually tell just by talking to them online or on the phone, but a couple I had to meet in person before I realized it. Always meet in a public place!!

As for fake people.. Trust your gut. Webcams are cheap and come with nearly every laptop and Skype is free, so there's no excuse to not video chat. If they refuse to meet you, there's probably a reason, and not one you're going to like. You can ALWAYS do your own Google search for their phone number, name, address, whatever you have. If your gut tells you something is up, do your research and find out.

My boyfriend, Jason, and I love to watch Catfish the TV show. It's a little scary to think about what COULD have been, and wonderful to know that we're a success story.
    And for the record, I know plenty of people who have had success meeting their mate online. You just have to be careful and honest with yourself.

Edit: I would like to add that at first my boyfriend could only talk to me at night because he didn't have a phone or internet at his apartment, just at work. I was pretty worried about that at first, and made that pretty clear. When we finally met I learned that he was who he said he was, and that he really DIDN'T have a phone, or a cell phone. When I went to his apartment for the first time (we lived about 4 hours away at the time) he was super excited because he'd just gotten a home phone, bed frame (he was sleeping on the mattress on the floor), and a COUCH.
    I'm pretty sure my boy is just darn special, though, and definitely the exception, not the rule.