Venting

Options
yopeeps025
yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
Why do people stare at other people who workout. I go to the gym to workout only. I do not mack on girls. I do not go to make friends. I am there for a purpose. Every time which is every weekday I workout I see someone staring hard at me. What are you looking at?

Does this happen to you at the gym?
For the people who stare, what is it you are staring at?

Replies

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I made eye contact in the mirror with the cute girl on the treadmill beside me yesterday. other than that I mostly space out. so it may look like im staring but really im in another universe. lol
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yes. all the time. but people get creeped out when I demand that they avert their eyes :laugh:

nah, just kiddin =)

There's no where else to look:ohwell: Sometimes I guess it's cause I look good, sometimes it might be cause I don't, other times, there's just nothing else to look at. Sometimes folks are just resting their eyes on your butt or whatever :laugh:

Also, checking out form, curiosity...all sorts of reasons to look. Shrug.

I crank out my ipod & do my thing and don't care one way or another if anyone's looking :drinker:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    There are some that ask me to watch their form. " hey man can you watch me dead lift since I see you dead lift way more than me?"
  • flexgonzales
    flexgonzales Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some ppl just watch because they are new and are looking at form and the exercise being performed. I know when I started to workout I would watch other ppl since I didn't know much.
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're "staring" per se, more like checking out the scene in between reps, etc (there isn't really much else to do as your resting up for the next set). I'll admit, sometimes I check out cute guys (i'm a girl, that's not me in my avatar) but it's never anything negative. I check out form, get motivation from others, admire some random girl's cute sneakers, etc.....whether someone is fit or unfit, they are in there bustin' their azz like me and it keeps me going!!! LOL
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Some stare into space maybe but some stare and when you look at them they turn away or keep staring.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I like reading comments in these threads.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ive been going to gyms consistently for 15 years and have never experienced this staring phenomenon ive read about here.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Why does it bother you if people stare it's not such a big deal haha but it's probably nothing negative, I do see it being annoying if someone asks you to help them or something though
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Seriously...trying be a lady at the gym. There's always at least one guy at the gym that stares at you and WANTS to get caught.

Although, I did get caught watching "the hot guy" at the gym one day...so I guess I can't complain.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Why does it bother you if people stare it's not such a big deal haha but it's probably nothing negative, I do see it being annoying if someone asks you to help them or something though

Does not annoy me at all. It means they want to improve
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for you to stand still or slow down so I can see what brand of shoes you're wearing. Or maybe I like what you're wearing.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Working out peaks hormones.

They might think you're sexy.

They might want to look like you some day,

and feel greatly inspired by watching you work out.

They might plan on copying your motions and form

on an exercise they've never tried before when you're done.

They might be people who just like watching other people.

They might think something is offsetting.

Perhaps you've done something to draw attention to yourself.

When those guys get up on the pull up bar and start doing dozens of reps, I stare.

I've been trying for over a year now to do one,

so I like watching them do it.

It's inspirational, motivation, and eye candy.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but the reason they were staring is that you had toilet paper streaming out the back of your shorts. I know, someone should have said something to you, but it was kinda embarrassing.....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how do you know they're looking, unless you're taking away from your own work out to look around yourself?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The people who stare and keep staring when you make an angry face at them are the worst. My gym has signs posted everywhere asking people to please not stare because it makes other members uncomfortable. Unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to these signs or the basic human manners.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but the reason they were staring is that you had toilet paper streaming out the back of your shorts. I know, someone should have said something to you, but it was kinda embarrassing.....

And we have a winner!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said to see form, or even to learn a new workout. I didn't know that I could use a machine in a certain way until I saw someone else using it in a manner I was not familiar. When I saw her using it in an unfamiliar way, I watched just enough to learn. After I was done with my equipment and that piece of equipment was free, I then went and used that equipment again but the way i just learned by watching her.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but seems to me that you are fishing,

mclb5sy
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    how do you know they're looking, unless you're taking away from your own work out to look around yourself?

Does your gym have mirrors?