weight gain friends

Options
I just joined MFP and I'm looking to add/get added by a few people just 'cause, I guess. I'm a bit underweight and I'm trying to get used to eating at least 1700 cal. a day so I can be more active.
So far getting past 1300 cal. is a struggle but I bought some food bars while I give my body time to get its appetite in check (if that's even a possibility).

Replies

• parkparksarah
    Options
    Am I allowed here? I am an overweight person :D
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Im trying to gain weight also and would love do it with you!
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    No idea how people struggle on 1700 calories, can easily eat 3000 calorie meals.
  • baileyb86
    baileyb86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also struggle consuming over 1600 calories a day and I am looking for ways to gain weight the healthy way. I tried eating food bars for awhile, but I got tired of them. I switched it up a little bit and I started eating bagels with peanut butter and honey for energy. I have at least 1 protein shake a day for my protein intake. It has helped so far!:smile:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally understand how getting to 1700 can be a struggle. Changing how you're used to eating is really hard -- there's no difference between someone trying to eat more on a consistent basis to gain weight and another person trying to eat less to lose weight. It's just as hard for some people to eat more as it is for others to eat less.

Your appetite will catch up to your increased intake, but only if you consistently hit your 1700 every day. Go for a week at 1700, every day, and your appetite will show up. If you continue to eat 1300 most of the time, 1700 will always feel like too much food and you will never adjust.

At a certain point, unfortunately, you just have to decide that you're eating more. There are a ton of different ways to fit in extra calories, like adding olive oil/butter more often or eating snacks in between meals, but none of those things will help unless you commit to eating your goal intake every day.
  • ItsFernandes
    ItsFernandes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Funny story. I could barely eat 2000cals.
    So I tried gomad (Gallon of milk a day; Whole milk), EVEN THOUGH I'm lactose intolerant. I thought it'd be easier to stomach with Lactaid. GOMAD alone is 2400. Not counting anything else you eat. I couldnt really eat anything else.
    Anyways, a week goes by of me struggling valiantly through it. So hard. I managed to down a gallon every single day. I'm so bloated and full through out the whole week. Having to use the toilet at least 6-10 times a day. Sometimes uncontrollably.
    I LOST weight that week. You can imagine why. My stomach was so bloated and full. Anyways, I finally gave up. Stomach was pwned. Almost quit. So sad that I gave up, but i physically couldnt handle it. I couldnt work like that. Can only go to the washroom so many times on a shift before your boss starts to go WTF brah.

Anyways, a couple days go by and I decide to get back on the weight gain, but THIS TIME, I'll do legit food. I buy all this food.
    I EASSSSSSILY MANAGE TO HIT 2700 cals in a day, counting PROPERLY.

How is this possible? My stomach was like, wtf brah at me for drinking all that milk. It was doing the best it could at handling the gas and bloated ness from gomad. It tried to digest all of it. It got bigger. It got better at churning the calories.
    So while gomad was ****ty, literally, it did increase my appetite! YOUR APPETITE DOES INCREASE. IM HUNGRY off 2700 and the end of the day now, and am going to up it to 3000 soon!

However, don't do this way of i ncreasing your appertite lol. Just eat more and more. Slowly.
    My point to this is that our bodies are awesome, even when you're stupid to them lol
  • ItsFernandes
    ItsFernandes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling like throwing up, dont eat so much. Slow down just a bit till you're really used to that portion everyday, and then try eating a little more next time around. You'll find your body does actually get better at handling it.

Sometimes when we are so motivated and headstrong we push ourselves too hard.
  • baciu91
    baciu91 Posts: 1
    Options
    So i am not alone... I have 53 kg and 174 cm and this summer i hope to reach at least 60 kg.
    Also i would to ask you if its ok that i am doing some fitness ( 10-15 min / day ) or this wont help me to gain some weight?
  • kat_severs
    kat_severs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's really hard, I know. I'm a 15 year old girl who weighs 50kg and is 5'7 tall. My body grows too fast for me to keep up so I'm underweight because of it, despite always thinking I was eating enough. Keeping a food diary helps me because I think about when and what I eat, because I know that the nutrition values are just as important to me as the calorific value. I need nutrition. I've always been ill and I'm sick of it, I need to gain weight and improve my immune system.

People think it's easy. "Oh, just eat some hamburgers and some cake and you'll gain weight". Or, "Just start eating more,". And probably the worst advice they could give "oh, you're underweight and you're really skinny" yeah, thanks, don't you think I already know that? Anyway, what I'm trying to say to is that gaining weight is just as hard as losing it so don't feel down about it, there are so many people who are struggling to gain weight healthily. I am one of them.

A little tip, people say put more food on your plate. Don't. Put less food on your plate because it's less overwhelming about the amount you have to eat, as opposed to a massive plate of food that you have no idea where to start at. You can always go back for seconds later. Take little steps. Also, try have smaller and lots of meals as opposed to 3 big meals. You should also be eating at least every 4 hours in order to gain weight. I hope I helped and I hope you found my post a little interesting. Good luck everyone :)
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to keep track of the types of foods that fill you up more or make you feel bloated. I have a real time with milk and fats, they make me feel full for hours and I end up skipping meals. Avoid those and try to eat often, even if small amounts.

Add high calorie content foods like rice, pasta, bread and good fat like avocado, peanut butter and nuts. Drinking things like protein shakes for dessert helps to add calories.

Good luck.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Woah! A whole 1700 calories?!?!?!

RIP
  • lemonvvedge
    Options
    lmao why do you eat so many marshmallows
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see folks on here who have the opposite problem of mine--I eat too much, yet I have friends who are scary skinny and won't admit they have a problem. I can't really help with that, but I hope those of you who have problems consuming enough calories band together and help each other. I don't want to visit my two friends in the hospital any more. I think it is so fabulous that you are looking for support. I'm worried that those of us who eat too much will say stupid things to you. Add in friends who have your common problem. There is a solution!
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eating 1700 calories a day is actually very little. I don't calorie count often (in fact probably only twice ever), but I could easily consume 3000 calories. When you space out your meals, your body's digestive system is actively working all the time, so you'll burn more of those calories anyway. If you really wanted to gain weight, you could eat a heavy meal before you go to bed. However, this will most likely result in an increase in body fat as you are not as active at night, compared to the day, typically.