Polar HRM Chest strap Question...

noble1987
noble1987 Posts: 132
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just wondered does anyone know if you HAVE to wet the chest strap for it to work accurately???

Its just.... Im going for an outdoor job/sprint in a bit and its FREEZING outside (like ice freezing!!) So the last thing I want is a damp chest strap under my coat (if you see what I mean).

If I wear it dry... will it still be a good enough reading to my watch??

Thanks x

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    If I don't mine will lose signal. I usually run it quickly under a faucet and then wipe the excess with a towel (so just the sensor part is wet). It can be a little chilly but in a few minutes it's good. Maybe you can put it on a few minutes before you head out so it is already up to your body temp.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    I have found that if I don't wear my chest strap my calories burned is lower than I usually get for that specific exercise. You can just gently wet it with your saliva too. Sounds a little gross, but that is what I do too. You don't have to have it completely saturated.
  • I soak mine and did so this morning before my walk and it was cold outside. But once I wetted it and put it on then put my shirt on then jacket I did not notice the cold or wetness of the strap. My body heat seemed to warm it up quickly. It was cold when I first put it on but my body soon adjusted to it.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    You would only be dampening the sensors, not the whole strap, so I wouldn't think you would feel it that much. And it only takes a little bit. I've used my F6 strap both dry and dampened and haven't ever seen a difference in how it works. I DO tighten it as far as I possibly can so that it's very snug but that's just a personal preference of mine and some may not be comfortable that way. That could be why I can use it dry.......well that and the medication I'm on causes me to sweat like a faucet is on so the strap gets damp pretty quickly anyway, whether I start dry or damp. :tongue:
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    I run mine under the tap but then dry it again with a towel, it is only the 2 bits were the meshing is on the rear of either side of where the transmitter is that needs to be slightly damp
  • i just dab some water on my finger and rub it on the area behing the clip on HRM on the strap and it seems to work fine. I dont wet the whole strap ever
  • Thank everyone...

I guess I'll go wet it then and 'MAN UP' a bit (as the saying goes)

:) xxx
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    I find that the anticipation of it being cold is WAAAAY worse than it really is lol!
This discussion has been closed.