Stop eating crisps and not eating enough...

Options
Hi all,

I seem to do really well with not eating chocolates or sweets, but my absoloute downfall is crisps. Wish I had the will power to stop. Trouble is I intentionally don't bring a bag with me into work to go with my lunch, we have a tuck shop that we run from my office for staff in the building (crisps and choccies). Not bothered about the choccies (even though they are in a fridge right behind me!) but I can feel myself craving a bag of crisps by lunchtime!! If I could just get over that then I am sure the weight would come off quicker. Also does anyone else have trouble using up thier calories each day. I was told off by the website the other day that I was seriously under-eating...... any suggestions for healthy high calorie foods?

Replies

• jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I pack a serving size of whatever I'm craving so that I'm not tempted to eat more than that. It really helps me satisfy my cravings without going overboard. Also, for me, if I try to totally avoid whatever it is I'm craving, I only want it more. Since you've been under calories, a little indulgence here and there won't hurt.

As far as using up the calories for the day, I have that problem a lot too. Now that I'm making healthier choices, it's far more difficult to get in the number of calories MFP suggests for the day. So sometimes I'll treat myself with a flavored coffee to use up the calories without over-filling myself.
  • BughaBear
    Options
    Pack some of the stuff ur cravin but just get the low cal and fat ones, liked baked stuff. The calories thing Im always under and I would like to know what can I do also without goin over on the other things.
  • welshladyca
    Options
    :wink: Hi I don't make my calorie count either its a lot harder than it sounds. You would think that being a little over weight it would be easy. Wiegh out a snack bag of crisps and take them with you it should curb the urge a little and help you to up your calorie count
    . Good luck
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    My weakness is the savoury snack too! I LOVE crisps and know that if I deprive myself I will binge at some point ...so I have one low calorie packet (100 cals or just under) a day to help curb my cravings. It's just enough to make me feel satisfied. :smile:
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    Try Walkers Light or baked.. I have been having the baked. But am about to switch back to the light. The baked ones are under 100 cals each and the light are about 115 if I remember correctly. Try nuts and nut butters for high cal food.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try eating nuts instead of crisps as these have good fats and are high calorie without all the saturated fats. Avacado is also high cal but very good for you.
  • thinjo
    Options
    totally get the crisps addiction! even after a year of 'better' eating in general, i still struggle with that and anything fried really. BUT, i did notice that if i fasted from certain foods (like muffins for example - really, they are not much more than glorified cupcakes), i found that when i went back to eating them, my body just rejected it by become queasy. maybe i haven't left the crisps behind long enough.
    all the other suggestions sound good as well - try the brands that offer baked options, and pack one serving only. maybe set aside a 'treat day' for crisps (or whatever the addiction is). if you want to go hard core - every time you crave crisps, picture them as a pound of lard just waiting to cling to the arteries, clog up the heart, and create crunchy cellulite on the hips.
    however, to quote a friend, if you do have some, don't do the guilt thing! here's the quotation: "as long as we continue to feel shame about anything we may eat, we will always struggle with weight."
    maybe the goal could be "I'll eat one portion/serving of crisps or dessert." rather than "I'll be good and have nothing while secretly craving it and going crazy thinking about nothing other than the red velvet cake in the fridge."

good luck!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I am new here, but as a nurse who has counselled people on weight loss, weight gain, proper eating, etc, I tell people to try eating a healthy alternative to what you crave. One member suggested nuts, which is a great idea. You might also try edamame (soy beans) with salt, or sweet potato fries or chips (preferrably baked, not fried.)
    A way to add good calories to your day is to make a smoothie. Figure out what nutrients you are low in and find a smoothie recipe that fits that need. Need protein, a yogurt smoothie works. Need fruit or vegies, blend up a concoction of "sweet" veggies like carrots and pumpkin and/or your favorite fruits and drink 6-8 oz a day. If you don't have a juicer, start with packaged juices and play with mixing them, adding yogurt (even frozen yougurt if it's a good one), even hand squeezing some citrus fruit. You can't go very wrong with smoothies. Add a little pumpkin pie spice for a new taste twist, or the spices from your favorite pie or quick bread.