Jogging and Knees

Options
Hi,

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but what the hell, I thought I would ask the question.

So I am 44 not getting any younger also I am also classed as obese until I drop 12 pounds then I am just overweight. My goal is to get down to 154 pounds which is 11 stone.

Jogging is excellent for burning the fat but I am concerned about screwing my knees up for life by putting so much impact on them.

How have people that are trying to lose weight found jogging on their knees, there is mixed advice on the web some professionals say do it and you knee joints will grow stronger while others say do not do it until you drop the weight?

I am thinking maybe drop the 12 pounds to the overweight category and then maybe try it, currently I use a cross trainer at the gym instead of running but there is nothing like running/jogging to drop the weight.

Cheers

Chris

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't jog, I walk. As you say, there is mixed advice, the main problem seems to be poor technique. If you want to jog I would have a look for a site that shows you the proper dynamics of movement. Also, of course, correct footwear is fundamental.
    If you're concerned about cartilage wear you could try taking a glucosamine and chondoitrin supplement, my GP recommended this as I have arthritic knees. Cod liver oil is also beneficial. However, don't take the glucosamine supplement if you're allergic to shellfish as it is derived from shellfish chitin.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I am a little bit older and am also in the obese category. I weigh 190 and my goal is between 150 and 160 too.
    I try to mix it up

1. Stationary bike
    2. Jog 200 steps / walk 300 steps
    3. Elliptical
    4. Kettlebell workouts

This saves my knees long enough so that I can run every other day.

It is slowly but surely starting to work.

Cheers!
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hear you!!!!!!!!! I have started Aqua Jogging. I go three times a week. You get the same calorie burn with out the stress on your bones. I had to do the swimming type exercises due to an auto accident. I had a crushed left side. New Hip, reconstructed ankle etc. So I go Jogging 3 times a week for an hour in the pool. Most good pools have programs. I have been amazed what you can do with a €3 water noodle.

There is also Aqua Aerobics. Aqua Pilaties, the list goes on. You can do almost everything in the pool you can in the gym. But the water takes the stress off your joints. Plus the resistance of the water gives a different but in some cases better workout.

The hardest I ever did was Nordic Skiing/Walking in the pool. Oh my what a pull on the muscles.

Good luck!!! with what ever you choose.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've added cycling to my exercises (outdoors, anywhere from 5-12 miles each time) and have noticed my knees are definitely better.

My right knee "clicks" a lot after jogging...I jog usually on weekends on the treadmill. Since I started cycling 3 weeks ago I've almost forgotten about my knee.

Good luck!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I am currently overweight - 161lbs and looking for a target weight of 140lbs initially at 5'3".

I think I may have done a few too many miles running on off-road terrain as when I try to begin running again now I bring back an acute pain under my right patella, enough to bring my run to a walk and enough to put me off doing further damage.

I am fortunate to be living a one hour drive from a good selection of lifeguard patrolled beaches and I have found wild swimming and wading in waist deep tidal water to be a great workout so long as I take a good long hot cup of tea afterwards to bring back core temperature before I eat too much to compensate.

I miss running, but I love to swim so this is working for me.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    try not to run on pavement. run a track, trail, beach ... etc. get good shoes.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,

I have a bad knee, and running isn't an option for me. I've walked the weight off ... 93 lbs so far, with 11 to go.
    Two weeks ago I joined a gym. I still walk 5-6 days per week, but I also get in 3 days on the elliptical, and three days with weights.

Best of luck!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,

I have a bad knee, and running isn't an option for me. I've walked the weight off ... 93 lbs so far, with 11 to go.
    Two weeks ago I joined a gym. I still walk 5-6 days per week, but I also get in 3 days on the elliptical, and three days with weights.

Best of luck!

Great post.... it proves you can lose by walking. (Cals in less than cals out)!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How have people that are trying to lose weight found jogging on their knees, there is mixed advice on the web some professionals say do it and you knee joints will grow stronger while others say do not do it until you drop the weight?

Losing weight is about consuming fewer calories than you expend. Running is a very effective way to assure a calorie deficit, and it's good as a complement to managing your diet.

I started running about 16 months ago at nearly 200lbs, with the NHS Couch to 5K podcast series. I'm now working on half marathon training, have lost nearly three stone and reduced my bodyfat percentage by a third. So it certainly has an effect.

I've had reconstruction surgery on my knees and ankles, and don't have any issues. The main thing is to keep your pace and distances down, and progress slowly over time. The progression will help your joints adapt to the stresses that running places on you.

In the past I have suffered shin splints and other injuries, when I've tried too much, too quickly, so I'd recommend following a plan to get there rather than just trying it o your own.

Personally I prefer off road running, and do a fair amount of cycling as well. It's worth complementing the running with something else; swimming, cycling, rowing or some form of resistance training. They all help the adaptation.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you have access to an eliptical machine, you can do that. My physical therapist told me that it uses the same motions as running does without impact on the knees.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and have been running w/o making them worse. What I've done is make sure I have the right shoes by going to a running store and getting my gate checked and then getting recs for shoes. You can get it done and NOT buy the shoes from the store - then search online to get cheaper ones. Running is not a guaranteed knee killer.

BUT, I also lost a ton of weight in the past by walking one hour at high speed regularly. I enjoyed it a lot. So, you have options!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's really a question of rish vs benefits. A heavier person trying to run will have an increased risk of injury. However, not everyone responds the same way--some can tolerate the increased stress, some cannot. As others have described, there are strategies that can be employed to decrease the risk. (there is also risk for lighter runners as well BTW, since running is a high-impact activity).

That doesn't preclude a heavier person taking up running. You just have to know what you are getting into. I would never tell an "obese" person they need to run, but I don't normally tell them absolutely no either. If the idea of running really motivates someone, then it might be worth the risk.

If they decide yes, they want to run, then the best advice is to start with a very slow, very basic walk/jog interval program with SHORT running intervals (i.e. 30-60 sec). By increasing the running duration in nibbling increments, you give the body its best opportunity to adapt in a positive way.
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for your responses and advice.

The elliptical trainer is what I am using I get the name mixed up with Cross Trainer.

I shall have a go next week on the treadmill and see how I feel afterwards.

Thanks again everyone!

Chris