How many calories burned

welshladyca
welshladyca Posts: 4
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I want to start a work out with Kettle Weights but not sure how to figure out how many calories I would burn doing this. Anyone know

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Well your best bet, if you can afford it, and to get a more accurate calorie burn, is to invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor. There are things in the Exercise Database that you can pick, such as circuit training, high impact aerobics, but none of that has weights on it. If all else fails, pick one of those and just use that for the time being.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    i would recommend investing in a Heart Rate Monitor. I want one myself. From the forums I think I am going to get the watch one with the chest strap, from Wal-Mart.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    It's not listed on the site because it's not in the normal METs compendium that most places use. ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) did a research study, though, and found that kettlebell workouts average 6.3 METs. A MET is the Metabolic Equivalent, which is basically how many times your normal calorie burn at rest does the exercise cause an increase. To get calories burned from METs, you multiply the MET level (6.3 in this case) by your weight in kilograms to get calories per hour.

Here's an example so that the math is more clear.

220 pound person, 20 minute kettlebell workout

220 / 2.2 = 100 kilograms

100 x 6.3 = 630 calories per hour

630 / 60 = 10.5 calories per minute

10.5 x 20 = 210 calories burned in the 20 minute workout.
This discussion has been closed.