Is ab work (like crunches) necessary?

Options
I'm doing the beginner's body weight circuit from Nerd Fitness. 20 squats, 10 push-ups, 20 walking lunges, 10 dumbbell rows, 15 second plank, and 30 jumping jacks. Right now I'm just going through it twice, three times a week. Should I be adding anything else to it or is this good for a beginner? It definitely challenges me but I didn't know if I should add some more ab stuff. TIA!

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Follow the program. You are getting core work. I did this for 4 months before I began lifting. It was awesome!

ETA: The program has progressions. If you feel like you are not being challenged, move to 3 circuits and then step up to the next level. He explains how to do that on the website.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    All of these exercises if done properly would include your stomach muscles as well. Especially the plank. If you worry it's not enough you can do it longer or repeat several times.

I'll recommend you http://www.fitnessblender.com/ - they've got some amazing workouts - all free, from total body to "zone" related. Though keep in mind you cannot target specific zones and expect to lose only there.

Also, just a side comment, if that's all you do without any reps - not quite sure how effective it will be. Build up your stamina, and in a week or so try to do two reps of the entire thing, then three, then four, until you can proceed to more serious workouts. Good luck!
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    *Edit ^ beat me to it* Planks and push ups are ab (or core) work... crunches are your choice... one thing I would humbly recommend... don't forget about your lower back... maybe throw in some supermans to balance the core
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    No.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Crunches are from the devil.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    besides death, nothing is necessary
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    If you are talking about gaining strength then crunches are pretty much useless.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Tone-Your-Abs-Without-Crunches-7859508 - Several ab exercises that don't include crunches.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    besides death, nothing is necessary

and taxes, don't forget taxes
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I love crunches and hanging leg raises
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options