Going to the mall (food traps). Pray for me.

Options
I must go to the mall. That is a high calories food trap for me. I am praying for divine help. The chia seeds I put in my nutriblast usually help hold my cravings and hunger, so I already prepared by drinking my juice. I will pack a snack and do my best to not walk by the danger zones. :-(

How do you cope?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

This post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If I am going somewhere that I know I will be tempted, I plan ahead by thinking about 1 food item that I would enjoy, and find a way to work it into my day. By depriving myself, I set myself up to feel horrible if I eat something I don't plan for or makes me go over my calorie goal, as well as risk binging on everything in sight. It's all about learning moderation and not demonizing certain foods or thinking they are off limits. Good luck!

Edited to add: read the link posted above - it's pure gold.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    meh, there's a food truck festival near here tonight, so I'm pretty sure I know where I'm eating dinner
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd just stay out of the food court. Go to the necessary stores, find what you need, and leave. (But hey, I hate shopping so I might not have the best advice...)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I'd just stay out of the food court. Go to the necessary stores, find what you need, and leave. (But hey, I hate shopping so I might not have the best advice...)

^^^ditto^^^
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I never go to the food court. If I "must" go to the mall, I already know what I need to buy and those are the places I shop. I would also eat at home before shopping. I'm not tempted by food courts anyway: they are crowded, noisy places, not conducive to the enjoyment of food.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go and get a high end coffee, notice I said coffee, not mocha or latte. Those are potential calorie bombs. If I had room in my cal. Budget I'd maybe split a dessert with someone, but it would have to be something divine tasting. I hate wasting my calories on mediocre food, when I make awesome tasting stuff at home sans guilt.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Learn to live in the real world - now. You have to do it sooner or later. It's about learning to take control of you and not letting the food control you.

Walk by the food court.
    Smell the smells.
    Pick something to eat that isn't too high in calories.
    Log it in your diary.
    Enjoy it.
    Move on and do your shopping.

It's not like you do this everyday. See how strong you are. Take your power back. The more you practice and feel that power - the stronger you will be in other real life situations.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Most food courts are segregated areas. You have to make a conscious effort to walk into them. I just don't walk into them unless I want to eat something specific.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Learn to live in the real world - now. You have to do it sooner or later. It's about learning to take control of you and not letting the food control you.

Walk by the food court.
    Smell the smells.
    Log it in your diary.
    Enjoy it.

It's not like you do this everyday. See how strong you are. Take your power back. The more you practice and feel that power - the stronger you will be in other real life situations.

This!!!!! OP you can't stay locked up in your house forever!!!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I generally limit any intake while out to a cup of coffee. Black, no sugar. Or tea (but our mall's tea shop closed :cry: ). However, one of the sit down places at our mall has yummy little fruit cups, too.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't torture myself eating stuff I don't like or denying myself completely of the things I love. Healthy eating doesn't have to be torture or depravation and you are more likely to slide back into that style of eating if you don't allow yourself a guilty pleasure once in a while. Yes, I will eat french fries- but only half of them. I love cheeseburgers, but I don't have 5 Guys every day for lunch. I will eat one once in a while- usually on a day I've taken a long hike or a super-all-in one work out.
  • NewYorkJellybean
    NewYorkJellybean Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Walk by the food court.
    Smell the smells.
    Log it in your diary.
    Enjoy it.

Exactly. Best reply.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't go into it thinking, "Gee, I hope I don't eat the tempting food."

Go into it thinking, "I am not going to eat that junk. I don't want that junk! I want to change my habits. I want to eat healthy food. I am going to make me a healthier me!"

The rest of your life, you'll be passing this food, seeing other people eat it and having people say, "Oh, are sure? Wouldn't you like a small piece of cake?"

It will get easier as time goes on, but it's always going to happen. Part of making that change is dealing with things like this. Companies want your money and will advertise. Well-meaning friends will push you to "enjoy yourself" and say, "Are you sure? How about a little piece?"

Welcome the opportunity to practice your awesome new eating habits and show yourself that you can make the switch!! "Look at me, doing the healthy thing. I'm changing my eating habits and I'm succeeding. Yay me! Go me!" You're going to be proud of yourself. :)

Let the food court bring it. You will win. :)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Don't go into it thinking, "Gee, I hope I don't eat the tempting food."

Go into it thinking, "I am not going to eat that junk. I don't want that junk! I want to change my habits. I want to eat healthy food. I am going to make me a healthier me!"

The rest of your life, you'll be passing this food, seeing other people eat it and having people say, "Oh, are sure? Wouldn't you like a small piece of cake?"

It will get easier as time goes on, but it's always going to happen. Part of making that change is dealing with things like this. Companies want your money and will advertise. Well-meaning friends will push you to "enjoy yourself" and say, "Are you sure? How about a little piece?"

Welcome the opportunity to practice your awesome new eating habits and show yourself that you can make the switch!! "Look at me, doing the healthy thing. I'm changing my eating habits and I'm succeeding. Yay me! Go me!" You're going to be proud of yourself. :)

Well said.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Think of your willpower and/or commitment to a healthier life kinda like your muscles. The only way to strengthen your muscles is to use and exercise them. So use your willpower. Exercise your commitment and dedication to health. Use a trip to the mall as an opportunity to "flex" your new lifestyle.
  • belleFL
    belleFL Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am almost in tears here reading the excellent replies you all posted. I absolutely agree with ALL of them. Great point! Great insights! Great wisdom!!!! I am printing every single thread and carrying them with me in my purse. They are worth memorizing. I had to rest with a migraine, so I am actually leaving now. I will not let that monster control me. I will exercise my willpower muscle as someone said, and I will have a great time at the mall today. Thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to respond. Many hugs from South Florida.
  • patriciapowerswilliamson
    Options
    This sounds silly but it works for me. I make sure that I eat before I go. Then when I feel tempted, the malls here in San Diego where there is fast food have to post nutrition information. I look at the calorie counts of the food I am smelling and I walk away. Works like a charm.