Can you recommend a good food scale?

Options
PaulaKac
PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
Hi,
I started MFP on May 28th. I need to buy a good food scale but with so many brands, I don't know which one to get. Can you suggest a good one?

Thanks much

Replies

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My dietitian highly recommends the Perfect Portions scale ( http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/ ), and damn dude looks good so I'll take his advice!

It's programmable, you punch in a code that corresponds to what you're weighing, and it gives you the nutrition facts.
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank You!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I use a basic Taylor scale and it works well for my needs.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've been using the escali P115C for years. it's still accurate, very light on batteries, and i find being able to tare and to convert back and forth from grams to ounces to be very handy. still available on amazon, and i hear good things about the ozeri kitchen scales, as well - i haven't used them, but can vouch for their superior customer service.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I got the cheapest digital one I could find - cost me £5 and does up to 5kg (10lb or so).
    Done me fine for the last year and very close to the calibrated scales in the post office.

For MFP, I wouldn't spend any more unless I had loads of cash to chuck around.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I have a Weigh Max. Easy to clean, very thin/fits in drawer. Not expensive. $15.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I got a perfectly adequate one on Ebay for $1 + $4 shipping. Grams and ounces. washable, accurate.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I use this. Grams and ounces and can be zero'd out to weigh more without removing what is already there. This one goes to 11lbs, but they also make a cheaper 5lb version.

http://www.oxo.com/p-501-11-lb-food-scale-with-pull-out-display.aspx
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have the cheap Taylor digital scale from Target. It works fine (i.e. my food logging seems accurate, I'm losing at the rate expected from my calorie deficit). It's not fancy or awesome looking, but I like it. As long as the scale has a tare button ("zero" out when you place a bowl or plate on it) and weighs in your preferred system (I like grams, more precise), it's a good scale.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am using also the Taylor battery operated digital scale -- bought at Target.
    I like that it uses both ounces and grams.
    I do not remember what I paid but here it is listed at $29.99

http://www.target.com/p/taylor-stainless-food-scale/-/A-14012995#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=food+scale
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have a Salter. It has a large glass platform so it's easy to wipe clean, it does metric or imperial measurements and goes up to 5kg, and can be tared to 0 to make it easier when adding different ingredients to the same bowl.

Look out for something with these functions.

Some of the higher end models can also do liquid measurements so that may be worth paying extra for if you think it'd be useful.
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love my Oxo Digital food scale as found here : http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Pound-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B0020L6T7K

The pull out display makes it easy to weigh items and I use it everyday. The top snaps off to be cleaned easily too.
  • rugrat1mi
    rugrat1mi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a gift card so I splurged on this one with a 20% off coupon.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Wal-mart. It is a battery operated digital scale that has 4 different units of measure. g, oz, lb., and kg. It has the Tare feature as well.

I dont remember the exact price. About $20.00, for sure less than 30.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Walmart- Biggest Loser scale by Taylor $22 + tax. Works great.